Old January 30th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default ebay jumps the shark.....

I imagine sellers like Radiomart and Gottahaveit1985 should just love
these
new feedback rules. Like I said long ago, E-Bay could care less about
Buyers and
does everything to kiss Seller's collective tuckus since this is where
they have
their bread buttered. E-Screw can go to hell for all I care. Same

On the contrary, I'd much rather be a buyer than a seller under the new
rules. I doubt I will quit buying as long as I can find bargains, but I'm
far less interested in selling anymore with how much they skim off the top.

Old January 31st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy

It's always instructive to compare eBay commissions with those of
traditional auction houses. They typically take 20-25% off the top. One of
the local houses just raised its rates to 35% on items selling for under
$200.

EBay still seems cheap by comparison.

--
Mike Schultz

Old January 31st 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Mike Schultz" wrote in message
It's always instructive to compare eBay commissions with those of
traditional auction houses. They typically take 20-25% off the top. One
of the local houses just raised its rates to 35% on items selling for
under $200.

EBay still seems cheap by comparison.

Might be why I haven't seen or even heard of a traditional auction in the
area in years. My grandpa used to take me to them when I was a little kid,
then one went under so we changed to another, then that one went under and
we changed to another, then that one went under. That was all back before
anyone had even heard of the internet.

Old January 31st 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Mike Schultz" wrote in message
It's always instructive to compare eBay commissions with those of
traditional auction houses. They typically take 20-25% off the top. One
of the local houses just raised its rates to 35% on items selling for
under $200.

EBay still seems cheap by comparison.

--
Mike Schultz

Point taken, Mike, but eBay has much lower overhead. they don't have to
provide a physical location or a live human auctioneer.

-Gene

Old January 31st 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy

In article BB8oj.4330$1f.1078@trndny02,
says...

It's always instructive to compare eBay commissions with those of
traditional auction houses. They typically take 20-25% off the top. One of
the local houses just raised its rates to 35% on items selling for under
$200.

EBay still seems cheap by comparison.
Mike Schultz

Ah is this your local auctioneer that spends his money for advertising
and his people or he himself gets the stuff all in order to sell... comes
and picks it up.. hauls it to his auction house.. then gets up there and
sells it? ...Sorry but thats NOT a fair comparison to the service that
FleaBay offers...

With FleaBay your at about 15% or so for low priced radios that only includes
the ebay and paypal costs... add in the packing materials and it gets
to be more yet... don't want to hear you say... YaBut you add for the packing
on top of the bid... don't think so... all you really did was cut the bid
as the buyer is only looking at the total cost... bid+pak+ship

Anyway... hope ebay falls on their butts over it.

Lets see how it goes... "Radio" category this evening had something in it
like 5600 items, completed auctions radio had 13K auctions total...

We should at this time of year be seeing increases in quantity listed..
Be real interesting to watch the month of March and April...

John k9uwa

Old January 31st 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy

I agree, selling low end stuff on eBay is not a great way to make money, and
never has been, except maybe those rare "hit the lottery" sales when buyers
go nuts and overpay for something. Otherwise, it's just too much work to
make it worthwhile.

Their fees are much more reasonable for higher priced goods. If you sell
something in the hundreds, your costs are down around 7.5% (including
PayPal), which is quite reasonable, considering the worldwide exposure eBay
gives you. The upcoming fee hike in the $25-$1000 range is 0.25%.

The nice thing about a live auction, as a seller, is that the stuff never
comes back, it's gone forever. No feedback, no chargebacks, no nit picking,
no griping!

--
Mike Schultz

"John Goller, k9uwa /W4 Snowbird" wrote in
message ...

Old January 31st 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Wonder when eBay will decide to take a buyers premium as well?

Yikes, don't give them any ideas!

--
Mike Schultz