Old March 1st 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Astounding. that's the only word for it...

dave wrote:

wrote:
On Feb 29, 6:44 pm, Radioguy wrote:
It would be interesting to determine if the 9500 could actually
deliver usable signals from stations where the other two could not.
And it would be equally interesting to see if the reverse were true.
I would like to read about or somehow quantify the as yet undefined
listening margin that a mega-buck reveiver like the 9500 is supposed
to deliver.

The 9500 has a graphic spectrum display, frequency coverage darkness
to daylight and numerous controls that the other receivers do not.
But basic signal grabbing performance on the HF bands is where the
receivers should be compared.- Hide quoted text -

I did a comparison between a Drake R8B and a high ticket Icom
IC-756PROIII see:
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/icom_ic756_plimmer.dx
where I clearly note the superiority of the more expensive radio. Of
course the law of diminishing returns applies, so when I get my new
Icom IC-7700 I do not expect the performance to be earth shatteringly
better than my 756Pro3, but the differences will be there.

If it gets me only one more really exotic catch that the 756Pro3 could
not resolve, then it will have been worth the extra money I am laying
out.

As a matter of interest I go on DXpeditions with a mate, Vince
Stevens, who has my old Drake R8A. On several occasions I have been
able to demonstrate to him that I am resolving readable signals on the
756Pro3 which he has not been able to resolve on his R8A.

But I rush to say that the R8A will ably resolve 99% of all stations,
so it is just those rare exotic signals that I am chasing with the
more pricey full featured radio's. Also, these top end full featured
radio's make DXing a lot easier, a bit like driving a top end Cadilac
compared to driving a bottom end budget model.

The R9500 will definitely do a better job of receiving tough signals
than a Drake R8.

Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Don't tell Ace.

Ace is doing ok! At this point in time what I have here has done a superb job.
If I were in need of a bit of RF help, I'd merely go out somewhere and lay out a
thousand feet of wire.

Problem solved for that 'tough' SWBC target, at a fraction of the cost.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B
70' and 200' wires.

Using the NASWA Country List, I have 239 countries heard, and 222 QSL'd.

Old March 1st 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce, might I suggest you talk to your neighbors? They might let you
string some wire across their back yards too.
cuhulin

Old March 2nd 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
RHF wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:25*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*RHF wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:46*am, wrote:
-
- dxAce,
- might I suggest you talk to your neighbors?
- They might let you string some wire across
- their back yards too.
- cuhulin
-

- - Cuhulin,
- -
- - Good Idea - I did that when I was a Kid in Oakland, CA
- - and had a 148 Foot Dipole Antenna at the Backyard
- - Fence extending out along the Neighbors fences too.
- - Had to Mow their Lawns once a Week for Eight Weeks
- - to get them to agree to it. *Over the Years those old
- - Neighbors moved or died and the Masts for the Antenna
- - came down along with the Antenna. *I was actually an
- - Inverted "V" {Dipole} Antenna with a Center-Point of
- - 38 Feet and the two Ends were 20 Feet. *Used a Direct
- - Connection to 450 Ohm Ladder-Line {No Matching
- - Transformer / Balun}
- -
- - i could point at it and say : hey - i built that myself !
- - along with a little help from my daddy ;-) ~ RHF
- - *.
-
- See you can generate a post like a normal person
- but this is like 0.1% of your posts. For some reason
- 99.9% of your posts are made by some asshole that
- claims to be you. Here you related a relevant on topic
- story about your experiences in the hobby instead of
- the usual google, copy, and paste post and you did
- not change the subject line either. I noticed that you
- did not need any of the weird punctuation either.
-
- So this pretty much proves that you are not retarded
- and 99.9% of your posts to the news group is deliberate
- Trolling behavior by an SOB.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California
-

PONG : Telamon - Poluting another On-Topic Thread
with Your Personal Attacks on Me {RHF}
-ps- That's Reply # 2 for 3/1/08

Telamon - In the Name of Google...
I Denouce The Demon Within You !
Get Thee Out Old "Ping-Pong" - Be Gone - Amen ~ RHF
.

I suggest you drop the retard act and either start posting as a normal
contributer to the news group or get lost.

Stop changing the subject line moron.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

NIST Makes Astounding Discovery N2EY Homebrew 43 January 24th 05 11:45 AM
Last Word on The Colonel LW Shortwave 11 May 11th 04 04:48 AM
The Word is out that . . Diverd4777 Shortwave 7 February 6th 04 06:55 AM
WOrd on Air Flights Chandler7600 Shortwave 2 February 1st 04 01:52 AM
You may now use the "F" word on the air w4jle Antenna 5 November 26th 03 07:42 PM