Old February 28th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Astounding. that's the only word for it...

....Get a look at the ICOM R-9500 receiver Owners Manual, in PDF format
at: http://radioworld.ca and navigate your way to Icom 9500 site,
and scroll to left for pdf brochure and/or manual. The manual runs to
almost an incredible 200 Pages...WOW
This receiver is amazing..it does everything except wash your car and
win you the lottery (which you'll need if you hope to buy one).
Old February 29th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 28, 3:38*pm, SW4ever wrote:
- ...Get a look at the ICOM R-9500 receiver Owners Manual,
in PDF format at: *
- http://radioworld.ca*
- and navigate your way to Icom 9500 site,
- and scroll to left for pdf brochure and/or manual.
- The manual runs to almost an incredible 200 Pages...
- WOW
- This receiver is amazing..it does everything except
- wash your car and
- win you the lottery
- (which you'll need if you hope to buy one).

SW4ever,

Maybe it should be called the I˘$M I˘-R95$$ ! Receiver
http://www.grove-ent.com/r9500.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0095.html
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...0/default.aspx
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...fications.aspx

eHAM - Reviews for Icom IC-R9500 Receiver
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6577
Evidently 4 People must have Won-the-Lottery !
http://www.rigpix.com/icom/icr9500.htm

~ RHF
Old February 29th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 28, 6:38 pm, SW4ever wrote:
...Get a look at the ICOM R-9500 receiver Owners Manual, in PDF format
at: http://radioworld.ca and navigate your way to Icom 9500 site,
and scroll to left for pdf brochure and/or manual. The manual runs to
almost an incredible 200 Pages...WOW
This receiver is amazing..it does everything except wash your car and
win you the lottery (which you'll need if you hope to buy one).

Probably be hard in a " blind shortwave test" to differentiate between
this one
an R8
& an Icom R75

Old February 29th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:51:20 -0800 (PST), David
wrote:

On Feb 28, 6:38 pm, SW4ever wrote:
...Get a look at the ICOM R-9500 receiver Owners Manual, in PDF format
at: http://radioworld.ca and navigate your way to Icom 9500 site,
and scroll to left for pdf brochure and/or manual. The manual runs to
almost an incredible 200 Pages...WOW
This receiver is amazing..it does everything except wash your car and
win you the lottery (which you'll need if you hope to buy one).

Probably be hard in a " blind shortwave test" to differentiate between
this one
an R8
& an Icom R75

Okay folks.........get ready for yet another round of the R75 vs R8
debate.

As to the blind test I would be more than happy to participate, I'll
bring an R75, 100 feet of wire and an ICE 182 along with some rope &
insulators etc to put up the test antenna. I'm sure there are many R8
owners who might wish to participate.............anyone out there with
the Icom 9500? Oh, and if the other participants cannot travel to a
mutual location just ship me your radios & I'll do the test
myself...........though it sure may take a long time to get conclusive
evidence 8-}
Old February 29th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David wrote:

Probably be hard in a " blind shortwave test" to differentiate between
this one an R8 & an Icom R75

Do you feel the R75 is as good for utility listening as it's cracked up
to be? Any experience with the digital sound module for that set?

mike

Old February 29th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:26:47 GMT, m II wrote:

David wrote:

Probably be hard in a " blind shortwave test" to differentiate between
this one an R8 & an Icom R75

Do you feel the R75 is as good for utility listening as it's cracked up
to be? Any experience with the digital sound module for that set?

mike

For utilities it's great. Mine was bought used with Kiwa mods and
additional narrow filters for SSB, though in reality the filters are
narrower than I've neede. Have considered pulling them and getting
decent wide filters for AM, though in reality the amount of time I
spend listening I'm not ready to spend the bucks. In many cases I'll
do the ECSS thing and get sound quality a bit better than in AM or
AM-Synch. I've never done an A-B test with an R8 so I can't comment
on how they two would stack up, though knowing Drake I do believe
anyone who says they find the Drake audio notably better. BY digital
sound module do you mean the voice synthesisor (sp?) or the DSP? The
DSP is okay - more effective the NIR-10 I used to use on my ham
xceivers but it didn't knock my socks off. Overall a good radio in
it's price class.
Old February 29th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radioguy wrote:
Yes, I agree. Side by side there would probably be a few situations
where each of those receivers would excel by a small margin on HF.
The 9500 might be a bargain if measured by the price-per-button.

The 9500 is a bargain if you have the money and want that extra
margin in the situations it excels at. If it makes the difference
between having every possible DXCC country in your log and not,
or getting that one extra contact for a contest, it's worth it.

Since this is an SWL group, let's face it, that extra margin is probably
of no concern to an SWL. In the real world a $200 portable with a $5
wire probably will "bag" you 95% of what is out there when it is there,
so the difference in price does not buy you much.

Did you know there is a ham out there with a 20m (14mHz) 10 element
beam antenna? I'm sure he could use one. :-) If you don't know the
math, my 11 element 2m beam antenna was 6 feet wide, by 12 feet long.
Multiply that by 10.

At least they made the thing look and feel like a radio, instead of
an expensive VoIP box.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old February 29th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Geoff makes a good point - whilst an R75 will get 99% of the catches,
after 40 years DXing I am now after that rare 1% - those tough MW
catches over 14,000 miles away from my QTH. That's when one of these
super priced full feature radio's come into their own and make the
investment worthwhile.

That's why I am upgrading to an Icom IC-7700 - something I am waiting
for with foetid breath, expected to arrive here in April.
BTW it's manual is 217 pages!!!

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old February 29th 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:
[...]

GH - For a 'true' Side-by-Side using one Antenna you will
need some sort of an Antenna Splitter/Combiner :

The RF Systems SP-2 2-Way Antenna Splitter might help
so that you can use the same Antenna, MT and Feed-in-Line
and do an actual side-by-side for the two radios.
-or- RF Systems SP-1 Splitter/Combiner;
LF Engineering SPL-2/50L VLF-HF Two-Way Splitter/Combiner

The only other 'cheap-and-dirty' way is to simply use 100 Feet
of 300 Ohm Twin Lead -or- 450 Ohm Ladder-Line. +plus+
Use a a common 8-Foot Ground Rod for 'both' Receivers.
Use the Receiver's HI-Z Terminals for the Antenna Inputs.
* One of the Parallel Wires to One Receiver and the
* 'other' Parallel Wire to the 'other' Receiver.
=YES= I know it ain't perfect but it does work better than
a single Wire Antenna Element etc; and then Switching
back-and-forth between the two receivers.

~ RHF
Old February 29th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:07:38 GMT, m II wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

Perhaps 'bated breath' would be more to Sir's liking?

"Foetid" is a lot funnier ;-)

Very true.

I've wondered about people who write 'Baited' instead of 'Bated'. I feel
like asking them if they've been eating worms.

Ah..English....she's a cruel mistress...

mike

Bait.............sushi...........what's the difference?

NIST Makes Astounding Discovery N2EY Homebrew 43 January 24th 05 11:45 AM
Last Word on The Colonel LW Shortwave 11 May 11th 04 04:48 AM
The Word is out that . . Diverd4777 Shortwave 7 February 6th 04 06:55 AM
WOrd on Air Flights Chandler7600 Shortwave 2 February 1st 04 01:52 AM
You may now use the "F" word on the air w4jle Antenna 5 November 26th 03 07:42 PM