Old April 8th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Some Interesting New Radios

On Apr 7, 7:39*pm, Joe Analssandrini wrote:
To the Group:

Here are some new radios which may be of interest to some of you.

First, these AM/FM models:

http://www.questforsound.com/tuners/tuners_R601s.htm listing at
$299.00;

http://www.questforsound.com/tuners/tuners_R601p.htm listing at
$350.00;

http://www.questforsound.com/tuners/tuners_R601PW.htm listing at
$369.00 (and which just received a superb review in the April 9, 2008
RADIO WORLD;

http://www.questforsound.com/tuners/tuners_R601S-S.htm listing at
$400.00;

http://www.questforsound.com/tuners/tuners_R601SW.htm listing at
$489.00;

and, finally, this one - which may be the one of most interest to
readers here as it is an AM/FM/Shortwave model.:

http://www.questforsound.com/tuners/tuners_R801.htm. Note that
this is NOT the Grundig "Classic 960," the piece of "junk" produced by
Eton in the late 1990s, though this one is styled exactly the same.
And also note that this one "ain't" cheap - it lists at $849.00! I
have no idea as to how well it performs on the shortwaves; the
requisite specifications are absent.

According to RADIO WORLD (the latest issue- April 9, 2008 - being out
in its print edition but not yet on line), the sound quality from
these radios is "amazing." According to the reviewer, Frank Beacham,
the R-601PW, the $369.00 one, is "probably the best table radio we've
heard at any price." And he is comparing it to Bose, Tivoli, Polk, and
Boston Acoustics.

These are expensive tube radios. But if you have a lot of money and
want to buy something "different," these may be of worth considering.
The company selling them, Quest for Sound, is located in Bensalem, PA;
the radios themselves are manufactured in China (where else?) to a
very high audiophile standard, according to the review, by V.A.L.
Audio.

I hope that at least some of you have found this to be of interest.

Best,

Joe

Do you suppose that there is any reason to hope that it has good
sensitivity and selectivity? Or will it be like most portables/do
everything tabletops in that respect?

Old April 8th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own two radios which have a magic eye.My 1957 made in Germany Grundig
AM/FM/Shortwave/Phonograph (built into the top of the radio) floor model
wooden cabinet Radio, I bought it for fourteen dollars at a Goodwill
store.And my made in Germany Opus 7 AM/FM/Shortwave big wooden cabinet
table model Radio.I bought for four dollars it at the self same Goodwill
store that used to be on Palmyra Street in down town Jackson.(that
married Irish woman wayyyy over yonder across the big pond, she calls
down town, up the town) I dont know how old my Grundig Opus 7 Radio is,
dates back to the early 1960s, I think.There were/are at least two
different looking models of those Grundig Opus 7 Radios, the one I own
looks as good as brand new, almost.If y'all will post some pictures of
those old Grundig Opus 7 Radios, I will point out which one mine looks
like.I myself would like to know just how old my Grundig Opus 7 Radio
is.
cuhulin

Old April 8th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
joe joe is offline

bpnjensen wrote:

Do you suppose that there is any reason to hope that it has good
sensitivity and selectivity? Or will it be like most portables/do
everything tabletops in that respect?

I think you can answer that by looking at the specifications for
their 'hifi' radio. Noise and distortion specs are 10 times (poorer) than
most hifi tuners.

On the SW side, they are claiming 8kHz frequency response for audio. That
does not translate to a selecting radio.

Barring any evidence to the contrary, I would not expect much from these
radios.

Some Interesting New Radios Drifter Shortwave 0 April 8th 08 08:11 AM
Very Interesting Burr Shortwave 9 April 14th 05 01:33 AM
It used to be interesting... Brenda Ann Dyer Shortwave 15 July 14th 04 02:45 AM
OT-But very interesting Randy CB 9 January 16th 04 02:51 PM