Old April 22nd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Most popular SW magazine?

Recently, I saw a copy of Popular Communications, which I found
interesting. I also saw there were several others to choose from.
Which is considered the best and most informative and why?

Otis T.
Old April 23rd 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:11:18 -0400, "SWL-2010"
wrote:

"Otis T." wrote in message
.. .
Recently, I saw a copy of Popular Communications, which I found
interesting. I also saw there were several others to choose from.
Which is considered the best and most informative and why?

Otis T.

To me it's a toss up between Popular Comunications and Monitoring Times.
Both mag's give me the information I need to keep up to date on my radios
hobbies. They are both online if you want to get a sample of what each one
is like.

Monitoring Times:

http://www.monitoringtimes.com:80/

Popular Communications:

http://www.popular-communications.com:80/

Check 'em out and see.

Thanks. I will check them out. One more question-if you had to pick
one that you liked the best, which would it be and why?

Thank, buddy,
Otis
Old April 23rd 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:46:38 -0700, Bart Bailey
wrote:

In posted on Tue,
22 Apr 2008 16:11:18 -0400, SWL-2010 wrote: Begin

Monitoring Times:

http://www.monitoringtimes.com:80/

Popular Communications:

http://www.popular-communications.com:80/

TNX
I saved the hurricane freqs info from popcom,
better list than I had. http://tinyurl.com/3p6q5f

I'm sorry to say, though, that the list on the PopComm website is
hopelessly outdated. Sorry, but I don't control what goes on that web
site. I do, however, control what goes on my own web site to support
my column in PopComm:

http://utecomm-digest.kc2hmz.net/library/gulf-ham.doc

That will give you and updated list of HF frequencies that are used by
Gulf-area ham ARES/RACES groups for emcomm nets, and which appeared in
the magazine shortly after I took over the utility column therein.

The list on the PopComm web site was done by former PopComm editor
Harold Ort several years ago. It's sadly out of date. For example,
none of the listed frequencies for the NHC in Miami are valid any
longer. The antennas were, ironically, destroyed by a hurricane. The
only HF communications at the NHC now are from the ham station there.

The Hurricane Hunters no longer send info to the NHC by HF radio, it's
sent on satcom, the only time you hear them on HF at all any more is
the occasional appearance on the HF-GCS.

John Kasupski, KC2HMZ, Contributing Editor
Popular Communications Magazine

Old April 23rd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 22, 2:03*pm, Otis T. wrote:
Recently, I saw a copy of Popular Communications, which I found
interesting. I also saw there were several others to choose from.
Which is considered the best and most informative and why?

Otis T.

Most popular, most up to date and most useful radio mmagazine would
clearly be Monitoring Times.
Old April 23rd 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:04:20 -0700, Bart Bailey
wrote:

In posted on
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:58:58 GMT, John Kasupski wrote:

http://utecomm-digest.kc2hmz.net/library/gulf-ham.doc

404

should be http://utecomm-digest.kc2hmz.net/library/gulf_ham.doc

Correct. Sorry. I typed the URL in my original post from memory rather
than bringing it up in Firefox and using copy and paste, and
apparently did not get enough of the shift key when attempting to
insert the uncharacter, thus ending up with - instead of _ in there.

That'll teach me to proofread my posts more carefully before I bash
the Send button...or use copy/paste like I should have to begin with.

JK

Old April 24th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

In posted on
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:58:58 GMT, John Kasupski wrote:

http://utecomm-digest.kc2hmz.net/library/gulf-ham.doc

404

should be http://utecomm-digest.kc2hmz.net/library/gulf_ham.doc

Correct. Sorry. I typed the URL in my original post from memory rather
than bringing it up in Firefox and using copy and paste, and
apparently did not get enough of the shift key when attempting to
insert the uncharacter, thus ending up with - instead of _ in there.

That'll teach me to proofread my posts more carefully before I bash
the Send button...or use copy/paste like I should have to begin with.

JK

Thank you. And thank you for the corrected URL. I could not get the
first one, but I did not want to bother you and say it did not work.

Otis
Old April 24th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I would pick Popular Communications because it's geared more towards
Shortwave Listening .

Actually, I have decided to buy a copy of each and see which one I
like best. Thanks for the input!

Otis
Old April 24th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Otis T." wrote in message

I would pick Popular Communications because it's geared more towards
Shortwave Listening .

Actually, I have decided to buy a copy of each and see which one I
like best. Thanks for the input!

Otis

I always buy a copy of each when I go to the magazine store to buy them.
Both are great.

Old April 24th 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 22, 11:03*am, Otis T. wrote:
Recently, I saw a copy of Popular Communications, which I found
interesting. I also saw there were several others to choose from.
Which is considered the best and most informative and why?

Otis T.

POP COMM = Popular Communications
http://www.popular-communications.com/
Back Issues of PopComm
Subscribe to PopComm
Guestbook
Contact Us {PopComm}
Visit Our Advertisers
Advertise in PopComm
Subscription Questions

Via Amazon.Com -subscription- Popular Communications Magazine
http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Commun.../dp/B00006LDEW
Old April 24th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 22, 1:11*pm, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"Otis T." wrote in message

Recently, I saw a copy of Popular Communications, which I found
interesting. I also saw there were several others to choose from.
Which is considered the best and most informative and why?

Otis T.

To me it's a toss up between Popular Comunications and Monitoring Times.
Both mag's give me the information I need to keep up to date on my radios
hobbies. They are both online if you want to get a sample of what each one
is like.

Monitoring Times:

http://www.monitoringtimes.com:80/

Popular Communications:

http://www.popular-communications.com:80/

Check 'em out and see.

Welcome to the home pages of Monitoring Times (MT) Magazine
MT http://www.monitoringtimes.com/
Recent Updates & Popular Pages
For samples of Monitoring Times (MT) and other magazines
Check out MagSampler.Com {An Internet NewsStand}

How to Subscribe to Monitoring Times (MT) Magazine
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/subscribe.html
Why Subscribe to Monitoring Times (MT) ?
Monitoring Times (MT) is available three ways:
* Fresh-Off your Local NewsStand
* By Paper "Magazine" Surface Mailed Subscription
* On-LIne "MT Express by Subscription in the
PDF Format {DownLoad-able} from Our Website

How Can I See a Copy of Monitoring Times?
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/free_sample.html
Full Sample issue in PDF format
Free Sample of printed magazine
Call 1-800-438-8155 (in U.S.) or
Fax 1-828-837-2216 or
Email
Provide your name and address to receive a current issue.
Only one sample per customer; please allow 4-6 weeks.