Old May 6th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave radio receiver - suggestion sought

Hi all,

I want to buy a good portable digital short-wave radio receiver. Can
anyone suggest what I need to buy? I live in Dubai, and although I've
not seen a digital radio receiver in any shop here yet, I might give
it a try or buy one online if possible. I know of only the Sony 7600D
but I think that's about 25 years too old now.

Any/all suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya
Old May 6th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It sort of depends on how much you want to spend and what you plan to
listen to.

I think the best compacts/subcompact portables are, in order :

1. Sony ICF-7600GR
2. Eton E5 (aka, Grundig G5, Degen 1103)
3. Redsun RP2100 (aka, Kaito KA2100)
4. Sangean ATS-909 (aka, Radio Shack DX-398)

More pricey, and larger portables, in order:

1. Eton E1
2. Sony ICF-2010 (aka, ICF-2001D, only available used)
3. Grundig Satellit 800 (only available used)
4. Sony ICF-SW77 (only available used)
5. Grundig Satellit 700 (only available used)

EBay offers the used portables virtually continously, but they can be
expensive.

Just my opinions.

Mike
Louisville, KY

Old May 7th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Sir,

Mike's list on the previous reply to you is right on target. I would
only add that the best value for money, in my opinion, is the Sony ICF-
SW7600GR. The best performer of those listed is the Eton E1, but note
that its construction quality is somewhat wanting; though most people
appear to be satisfied with their sets, a significant minority has had
interminable problems, some of which were unable to be fixed. Thus,
the longevity of this radio is in doubt.

No such build-quality problems are present in the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.
For a portable, it is built like a tank and, with proper care, will
last for many, many years. (Just don't drop it onto a concrete slab,
for example! No radio would survive something like that!) If you were
also able to buy a Sony AN-LP1 Active Antenna (currently only
available from a VERY reputable eBay dealer called "BuyFromJapan"),
you would have an almost "perfect" shortwave setup.

Best of luck,

Joe

Old May 7th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike and Joe,

Thanks a lot. I have Japanese business friends who keep flying in from
there all the time, and I'll probably request one to pick up either
the 2010 or 7600GR. Having spent my childhood with Grundig and
Phillips radios (valve radios in those years!), it seems unfortunate
that neither figure as desirable radio manufacturers anymore.

Thanks again,

Ramapriya

Old May 7th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Sir,

Your welcome. One last thought - if you decide to buy a Sony ICF-
SW7600GR, if at all possible, buy TWO of them. I'm quite certain that
Sony will soon be exiting the shortwave radio business and this is a
real shame. This one is the only model still in their catalog. It has
been made since 2001 and its predecessor model, the ICF-SW7600G, was
made from 1994 until 2000. (The '7600GR - for '7600G "revised") is
built to the same high standards as the earlier one but is better in
every way. (I own two '7600Gs and five[!] '7600GRs, all of which
function as new.) Obviously the design is well-proven in fact. Note
that NO other compact portable shortwave receiver matches the Sony in
terms of performance or build-quality, at least in my opinion.

The '2010 is a superior radio in every way but you';ll have to buy it
"used." Frankly, I'm always leery of sellers' claims; why would anyone
sell such a radio if it were truly in excellent condition? (The only
real reason I could think of that would be legitimate, at least in my
book, is if the owner had died and his widow wanted to sell the
radio.) If you buy a "used" radio, especially one that you're planning
to use day in and day out, remember - Caveat emptor!

Personally, I ALWAYS buy ONLY "new." I really don't want someone
else's problems!

Best of luck,

Joe

Old May 7th 08, 08:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

snip

The '2010 is a superior radio in every way but you';ll have to buy it
"used." Frankly, I'm always leery of sellers' claims; why would anyone
sell such a radio if it were truly in excellent condition? (The only
real reason I could think of that would be legitimate, at least in my
book, is if the owner had died and his widow wanted to sell the
radio.

An equally valid reason is if the owner is upgrading and no longer
needs the receiver, or perhaps the owner needs to pay some bills

Michael
Old May 7th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On May 6, 12:36Â*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

Ramapriya- Hide quoted text -

MWB - Very Good List ) ~ RHF

Ramapriya,

First 'check' your Import Restrictions for certain types of
Electronic Survailence Equipment {Radios and Scanners}
being brought into Dubai.

What Are Your shortwave Radio Listening Objectives ?
A - 'Portable' but also works well as an At-Home
Shortwave Radio : Eton E1 AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0101.html
+ Add a PAR End-Fed Short Wave Listening (EF-SWL)
Antenna and you should be able to hear the World.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html

B - Very 'Portable' for Indoor or outside use would be
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IS4X/
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html
+ Add a Sony AN-LP1 'Portable Active Loop Antenna
for much improved Shortwave Listening (SWL) and
On-the-Go use when Traveling.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ130220178068

C - Shortwave Radio for the whole family to Listen to
would be the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0800.html
+ Add a Pair of Powered Stereo Speakers for FM Stereo Sound
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5238361
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5969245
+ Wellbrook ALA1530 Active Loop Antenna for Long Wave,
AM Medium Wave and Shortwave Radio Reception
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA1530.html

DISCLAIMER - All Links/URLs are provide as sources of
Visual Reference for their Images and Technical Content :
They Do Not Constitute an Offer "For Sale".

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old May 7th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks a lot, RHF

My mind is fairly set on the Satellit 800 although I've no idea how to
get it. I just tried ordering one through Amazon and it said that
there's a restriction against delivering the radio here, so I guess
you're right :\

Ramapriya

Old May 7th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 6, 8:52*pm, Joe Analssandrini wrote:
[...]

There is another good reason to sell a 2010 in excellent condition.
I've had had one since 1995 and it is the best quality portable I've
ever owned but it is just not fun to operate. I'll take knobs and
switches to buttons and slide pots anytime. I only use it when my
other radios wont cut it.
Bob
Old May 8th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Mike,

You're right, of course, but frankly I do not think that the reasons
you suggest occur very often. After all, how much money is someone
going to get for a used ICF-SW7600GR? If that small amount stands
between someone's bills and total disaster, well, I suggest that that
person just give up, pack his life in, and go on welfare!

And, as far as upgrading, in my opinion (and my opinion only), you
CANNOT upgrade from a Sony ICF-SW7600GR to ANY other compact portable
shortwave receiver. You MAY get a radio you "like" better, you might
even get one that "looks" better, but, in its category, you WON'T get
one that improves on its reception quality if for no other reason that
no other compact portable shortwave receiver has a synchronous
detection circuit (except the Kchibo KK S500, which, according to
PASSPORT, is a mediocre - at best - performer). I have read in some
user reviews that the user could not understand what the "fuss" about
this circuit is all about - he says he couldn't hear any difference.
Well, again in my opinion, if he can't hear a difference, either his
ears are on backwards OR (more likely) he doesn't know how to use the
circuit properly! This circuit is not the only reason the radio works
so well, of course, but it is one of them. This model has been
manufactured since 2001 (its immediate predecessor, from which this
one was revised - hence the "R" - goes back to 1994) and, so far, no
other manufacturer has been able to match this one.

And, again in my opinion, no other manufacturer has even come close!
Further, I'm certain that most owners of the ICF-SW7600GR would agree
that it is built better and will last longer than ANY Chinese-built
receiver. (Yes, I know that early versions - up to about 1996 - of the
original 'G model had some "teething pains" and that Sony was less
than forthright in handling those owners' problem radios, but this has
not been the case with the 'GR model. While I am sure that there have
been isolated cases of defective ones, I myself - and I own 2 'Gs and
5 'GRs - have never experienced any problems whatsoever.) And, even if
you are upgrading to that $13,500.00 ICOM, you'll still want to have a
portable!

So, getting back to the original point, it would behoove prospective
purchasers to be VERY cautious in considering a "used" Sony ICF-
SW7600GR. I myself would NEVER buy one (unless it were under the
circumstances I mentioned - that the owner had passed away and his
widow were selling it - and even then, as this radio is so inexpensive
new, why buy one "used?").

I know that you (and probably many others) will disagree with me; that
is your prerogative, naturally. But, based on my own experience, I'll
stand by my statements and opinions.

Best,

Joe

snip