Old May 12th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD Radio in Rochester, NY. doesn't even work within city limits!

"I wanted to post and ask how my neighbors in Rochester, NY are doing
with their HD radios. I'm enjoying the stations, WCMF HD2 in
particular, but there are seem to be a lot of dead spots well within
the city limits. I take 490 in each day, and there are a lot of
stretches where 95.1, 100.5, and 106.7 drop out completely. Anybody
have experiences/opinions to share? Does anybody know about current or
pending power increases in our area?"

"Im not anywhere near Rochester, but your experiences are typical.
Some radio industry weenies are trying to push through a big power
increase for all HD stations to solve this problem, but until that
happens (and don't hold your breath), about all you can do is
experiment with better antennas and signal boosters. The technology
just doesn't work all that well in moving vehicles."

"Ive heard about the push for increased signal level, and I was
thinking that it would be worth hanging on to my HD car receiver for
that. I don't know, at this point all HD Radio gives me in the car is
a headache/anxiety that I've spent so much on a HU and its constantly
irritating me. The one thing I cannot stand is when you are in an area
where the HD signal sort-of works, and it keeps switching in and out
of HD. (Then my wife says that she likes the FACTORY radio in her car
better, because it doesn't do that... OUCH!)."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1028420

Rochester has over 30 HD Radio stations:

http://www.ibiquity.com/hd_radio/hdr...#s tationlist

Struble - you had better get that IPO off the ground soon, before word
gets out!
Old May 13th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 12, 8:44�pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
"I wanted to post and ask how my neighbors in Rochester, NY are doing
with their HD radios. I'm enjoying the stations, WCMF HD2 in
particular, but there are seem to be a lot of dead spots well within
the city limits. I take 490 in each day, and there are a lot of
stretches where 95.1, 100.5, and 106.7 drop out completely. Anybody
have experiences/opinions to share? Does anybody know about current or
pending power increases in our area?"

"Im not anywhere near Rochester, but your experiences are typical.
Some radio industry weenies are trying to push through a big power
increase for all HD stations to solve this problem, but until that
happens (and don't hold your breath), about all you can do is
experiment with better antennas and signal boosters. The technology
just doesn't work all that well in moving vehicles."

SNIP

Higher transmit power will not solve the moving car dropouts. It might
actually make it worse. HD sucks.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Let's hope so...
Old May 13th 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default IBOC : The New Oreck "HD Radio" - It Sucks !

On May 12, 5:44*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

TBD ~ YMMV

- It might actually make it worse.

TBD ~ YMMV

- HD sucks.

Telamon - The New Oreck "HD Radio" - It Sucks ! ~ RHF
http://www.oreck.com/index.cfm?HD-Radio

-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California
Old May 13th 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 13, 4:00�am, RHF wrote:
On May 12, 5:44�pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

TBD - broadcasters will have to replace all HD equipment
(transmitterts, antennas, STLs, etc) for the proposed FM-HD 10db
increase - LOL!

Old May 13th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On May 13, 4:00�am, RHF wrote:
On May 12, 5:44�pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
[...]

Why would they have to replace the STL to increase power?
Old May 13th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dont buy anything with the Oreck name on it! That Crap is Junk!
cuhulin

Old May 13th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message

TBD - broadcasters will have to replace all HD equipment
(transmitterts, antennas, STLs, etc) for the proposed FM-HD 10db
increase - LOL!

In many cases, it just requires additional PA modules in the cabinet..

Old May 13th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 13, 2:00*pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

TBD - broadcasters will have to replace all HD equipment
(transmitterts, antennas, STLs, etc) for the proposed FM-HD 10db
increase - LOL!

In many cases, it just requires additional PA modules in the cabinet..

Watt Hairston on HD-R

"Natterings of a naysayer"

"The 10db power increase that’s being talked about for FM may help the
digital but will have a negative impact on the analog, which is
currently paying ALL the bills. As an example, even a well-integrated
92 and/or 67 kHz relatively narrow-band subcarriers can wreak
multipath havoc with an FM signal in some markets. The sheer capital
cost of the power increase (if approved) will be staggering
considering most of the current hardware and ancillary equipment will
have to be replaced."

"Where robust in reach, radio is an ailing medium that is undergoing
yet another adjustment to bring expenses inline with revised revenue;
so another big outlay in capital is not likely. Many station staff
level people look on HD as something that was added to their task list
with no operational funding and dwindling resources. Sales people are
concerned that additional channels may compete for revenue they have
running on other stations even in their own cluster. Again, I am
talking about the real world conditions, as they exist down here at
the street level not in some high-rise corporate office hundreds of
miles away from where the action is."

Watt Hairston, Chief Engineer, WSM

http://tinyurl.com/27f96k
Old May 13th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default The iBiquity of IBOC... Change is in the Air - The "HD" of It !

wrote in message

TBD - broadcasters will have to replace all HD equipment
(transmitterts, antennas, STLs, etc) for the proposed FM-HD 10db
increase - LOL!

In many cases, it just requires additional PA modules in the cabinet..

Watt Hairston on HD-R

"Natterings of a naysayer"

- "The 10db power increase that’s being talked about
- for FM may help the digital but will have a negative
- impact on the analog,

IDTARS !

Forcing the 'transition' from Analog AM & FM Radio to
Digital AM & FM "HD" Radio for most Audio Consumers.

-or- Hastening the 'migration' from Analog AM& FM Radio
to new forms of Digital Media 'other-than' AM & FM Radio.
for many Audio Consumers.

The iBiquity of IBOC... Change is in the Air - The "HD" of It !

What are the frequency limits for RRS? (from the original FAQ) David Shortwave 20 July 30th 05 05:58 AM
Mid to late 1940's New York City Radio Paul Broadcasting 1 January 11th 05 07:04 AM
Mid to late 1940's New York City Radio Paul Broadcasting 0 December 30th 04 11:53 PM
Legal Limits On CBs? jtbr CB 1 October 31st 04 08:42 PM
AWA in Rochester.....Radio Delivery. MGM2 Swap 0 August 11th 04 02:18 PM