Old June 19th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default PNG and Indonesia Loggings

This morning I decided to take advantage of the "VCR-like" time shifting of
the spectrum with the Perseus receiver, and record the 90 meter band for
later chasing of Papua New Guinea stations. I captured the band between 1055
and 1135 UTC and reviewed each 90m channel thoroughly during the noon hour
today. It sure beats crawling out of bed to catch the DX "live" from 3:55 to
4:35 a.m.!

Good ol' reliable RRI Palangkaraya was also heard on 90 meters, but no other
countries besides Indonesia and PNG were noted.

INDONESIA 3325, 1055-1135, RRI Palangkaraya Jun 19 Heard at much better
level than most PNGs this morning. 6 time pips at 1100, followed by ID, as
well as ID again at 1130 and mentions of Indonesia. Mostly male and female
talk throughout. Fair to good on peaks. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3220, 1055-1135, R. Morobe Jun 19 Very weak signal with
male announcer in English at 1055; 3+1 time pips at 1100 followed by (I
think) log drums, but the signal had dropped to threshold by 1100. Utility
QRM on frequency through 1135. Tentative. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3260, 1055-1135, R. Madang Jun 19 Male announcer in Pidgin
to 1100 short, distinctive flute or woodwind melody, then male and female
announcers with presumed news. Slightly better signal at 1115. Possible ID
by male at 1130. Weak signal. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3290, 1055-1135, R. Central Jun 19 Very weak signal of PNG
sing-sing music across top of the hour; old folk music or C&W at 1105. More
sing-sing and string band music with vocals at 1125. I reviewed the Perseus
SDR recording at numerous points between 1050 and 1130, but never noted an
announcer. Tentative. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3315, 1055-1135, R. Manus Jun 19 Signal really in the mud
with talk by male and female announcers, until Pidgin language was clearly
heard at 1115. Noted Anne Murray song at 1128; female announcer mentioning
PNG at 1132, then into more country music. Fair at best. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3335, 1050-1135, R. East Sepik Jun 19 Two male announcers
with interview and music interludes from 1050 through the top of the hour.
At 1100 there was a mention of 'NBC Radio, Papua New Guinea' and then log
drums. Into presumed news in Pidgin, and discussion in English about the
environment at 1115. Fair signal. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3385, 1050-1135, R. East New Britain Jun 19 At 1050
tune-in, noted a mention of 'Yumi Ulgidah gospel program can be heard on
weekends' by a male announcer. This caught my attention, as that was the
same name of a program I heard and recorded in 1995 during a DXpedition with
particularly strong PNG reception. The announcer continued through 1100,
listing upcoming programs for the evening, with many 'o'clocks' heard.
Mentions of Papua New Guinea 1105, and into contemporary Christian tunes and
C&W music. Carrier dropped briefly at 1123, but was back one minute later in
the middle of a public service announcement or advertisement in Pidgin. Good
signal after 1120, but ragged modulation made intelligibility difficult.
(Atkins-WA)

UNIDENTIFIED 3235, 1055-1135, Unid. Jun 19 Threshold signal here, mostly
woman talking in unidentifed language, possibly English. R. West New
Britain?. (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Perseus SDR, Eton E1, various Ultralights
13.5 X 8.5 Wellbrook ALA100 loop on rotor
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com

Old June 19th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Guy Atkins wrote:

Mostly male and female
talk throughout.

Male and Female?

That's great. I have a difficult time understanding the other varieties...

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

http://improve-usenet.org/
Old June 19th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Guy Atkins wrote:

This morning I decided to take advantage of the "VCR-like" time shifting of
the spectrum with the Perseus receiver, and record the 90 meter band for
later chasing of Papua New Guinea stations. I captured the band between 1055
and 1135 UTC and reviewed each 90m channel thoroughly during the noon hour
today. It sure beats crawling out of bed to catch the DX "live" from 3:55 to
4:35 a.m.!

Nothing wrong with that, Guy. I used to make good use of the tape recorder in
years past.

The problem I have these days is with the folks who use the 'remote' receivers
around the world and the use of DX tourism by traveling to remote places and
then actually counting the QSL's (veries for those in Glendale) in their totals.

That, to me, is not DX'ing.

Old June 20th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 19, 3:56*pm, dxAce wrote:
Guy Atkins wrote:
This morning I decided to take advantage of the "VCR-like" time shifting of
the spectrum with the Perseus receiver, and record the 90 meter band for
later chasing of Papua New Guinea stations. I captured the band between 1055
and 1135 UTC and reviewed each 90m channel thoroughly during the noon hour
today. It sure beats crawling out of bed to catch the DX "live" from 3:55 to
4:35 a.m.!

Nothing wrong with that, Guy. I used to make good use of the tape recorder in
years past.

- The problem I have these days is with the folks
- who use the 'remote' receivers around the world
- and the use of DX tourism by traveling to remote
- places and then actually counting the QSL's
- (veries for those in Glendale) in their totals.
-
- That, to me, is not DX'ing.

DX Ace,

IMHO - Using the 'remote' Shortwave Receivers as the
Receiving Station* for a QSL is bogus, Bogus. BOGUS !

* It's like Listening to the Radio Stations Internet Audio
Stream and Filing a Reception Report and Claiming a QSL.

However - Using a 'remote' Shortwave Receiver as the
Second Receiving Station for a real-time side-by-side
Audio Comparison with your Home Radio Shack's
Receivers is A-OK provided the Reception Report Info
reflects what you heard on your own Receiver at Home.

~ RHF

www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

Old June 20th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Nice work Guy - I haven't heard PNG or Solomon Isl. here in this QTH
for the past couple of years with the low sunspot index. That ALA 100
loop and your SDR are sure delivering the goods = well done.

I must say, being retired and all the time on my hands, I prefer a
radio in front of me with lots of knobs to twiddle, but for a busy
working lad who needs his sleep the SDR's seem to be the way to go -
it's still DXing of a high order.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Voice of Indonesia dxAce Shortwave 0 May 25th 05 03:08 PM
Voice of Indonesia dxAce Shortwave 0 February 13th 05 09:08 PM
Tropical Band Loggings for Sept. 23: Indonesia & Japan 4nradio Shortwave 9 September 25th 04 07:22 AM
Indonesia 60 meters dxAce Shortwave 7 September 10th 04 04:48 PM
PNG & Indonesia Loggings 4nradio Shortwave 9 April 10th 04 05:48 AM