Old July 3rd 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Somethings about the Beverage Antenna

wrote:

On Jul 3, 11:43 am, dxAce wrote:
The termination at the far end only solves the problem of the antenna being bi-directional, that is of course
receiving signal from both the direction the wire is running (and, off the back end where it is fed).

Did have a place accessible to me at one time where we had 6 permanent Beverage antennas set up, all terminated. A
very nice place to DX, but always a lot of repair work on the wires as they ran through a wooded area.

We don't terminate here for two reasons:
1. the ground here is too dry and you can't get a proper earth
2. We actually like the open end in both directions as one end you get
Aussie and the other end N. America. Like a double whammy.

So you can DX Aussie at sunset/evening and N. America mornings/
sunrise. Makes the DXpeditions quite worthwhile.

Wow! a six beverage site = sheer DX heaven!

Ya, that's a problem with long beverages - people and animals walking
all over them and pulling them down. Another problem here is the high
price of copper will see your wire stolen from right under your nose
while you are busy DXing these days in mwaAfrika.

I had that happen one time at a temporary site. Standing outside in broad daylight I heard a noise and then noticed my
wire (which was about 8' off the ground go slinking off. Took a hike with another fellow and noticed 3-4 hikers busily
wadding up my wire!

Before we could get to them they dropped the wire and continued hiking, at a greatly increased pace.

Old July 4th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
wrote:

On Jul 2, 11:32*am, RHF wrote:
Beverage Antennahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_antenna

Beverage Antenna Constructionhttp://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm

Beverage Antenna Tips -by- N1EUhttp://n1eu.com/topband/BeverageTips.htm

The Beverage Antenna -by- Hardcore DX
.Comhttp://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/beverage/index.html

The Beverage Antenna Memorandum [FCC Report]http://www.ae5d.com/bev/

Beverages On the Ground [BOG] -by- Shawn
Axelrodhttp://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/bevant.html

I love beverage antenna's when you can get one out, but today's
overdeveloped areas make it hard to find a place. Much is written
about beverage antenna's, books and books in fact going into great
technicality. But here in South Africa we just throw out a bit of wire
and get great results.

My pal Gary in Cape Town just runs out 220m/700 ft of wire called a
BOG, beverage on the ground, just on his suburban road outside his
house, or at best he goes down to the local sportsfield and runs it
out there. He gets amazing results from this.

Of course the purists will tell you that the beverage has to be dead
straight, terminated into a resistor and supported about 1.2m/5ft off
the ground, but in years of playing with these antenna's we have got
great results with a not too perfect layout and no termination.

Give it a try and have fun - you will be well rewarded with some super
catches.

The height above ground is supposed to be dictated by the ground
conductivity.

You could actually bury the wire and it would still work very well if
the ground conductivity is low.

Generally the higher the wire the higher the signal levels so there is
no reason a wire on the ground would not work. It could work even better
then a wire higher up as far as signal to noise is concerned.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Pictures of your antennas in the Antennas in the World directory oli Antenna 0 June 25th 07 10:01 AM
WTB 80/40 Mor-gain or Antennas West PM Antennas David Thompson Antenna 0 November 3rd 06 09:38 PM
Antennas [email protected] Shortwave 0 February 24th 06 04:48 PM
So, you think you know all about antennas!! Okay, what is this?... Richard Antenna 9 February 15th 04 11:38 PM
rf antennas erdem Antenna 14 February 9th 04 12:29 AM