Old July 6th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBiquity – Where’s the “HD” in “HD” radio?

On Jul 4, 11:23 pm, Rfburns wrote:
Been listening to a little AM Broadcast Band “HD” radio and still
trying to figure out how iBiquity can tout it as CD quality.
Considering the fact that it takes about 40 kHz bandwidth to broadcast
all kinds of strange digital noises, odd warbling audio, dropouts and
interference issues, false “HD” detection and switching problems. No
CD system that I’ve heard sounds like that - even real cheap $15 ones.

I think that if manufacturers made better radios and broadcasters
would widen their AM signals you could achieve better and more
consistent quality with less bother. There’s just no reason to buy
one if you ask me.

What I find particularly amusing is stations transmitting infomercials
in iBiquity “HD” quality. Now that’s a real swell use of
spectrum.

But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. Now
that's a cool strategy.

You gotta just love the silence. You ibiquity guys are so smart. I
wonder if this is one of their software tools?
Old July 6th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Rfburns" wrote in message
But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. Now
that's a cool strategy.

On at least a dozen different HD receivers, I have never had this happen.
Nor, until now in your message, have I ever heard of it happening.

Old July 6th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 6, 3:23 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Rfburns" wrote in message

But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. Now
that's a cool strategy.

On at least a dozen different HD receivers, I have never had this happen.
Nor, until now in your message, have I ever heard of it happening.

Well, Eduardo it happens all the time on the Sony XDR-S3HD. Which is
practically being given away now because nobody wants them and places
like Best Buy, etc lost their ass on them.

I can't imagine why any company would want to waste anymore
developmental dollars on ibiquity "HD" technology again after seeing
the dismal sales and performance it produces.

The other thing I like about "HD" is when the analog and digital
signals are out of sync by several seconds and the signal just isn't
strong enough to get an "HD" lock. It goes back and forth replaying
the delayed signal over and over while it constantly switches back and
forth from analog to "HD" and back to analog and then back to "HD".
Over and Over. Since I live more the 20 miles from the nearest "HD"
station this is pretty much the norm. It's a real treat to hear how
screwed up system is and how poorly implemented the digital component
is.

Another thing I love seeing is when an "HD" station advertises their
website on the goofy little screen so you can use your Web radio to
hear them rather than their terrestrial radio signal. That’s a nice
touch. Looks to me like most stations know what a bust ibiquity "HD"
is.

Someday, when iBiquity "HD" is just a memory of another failed
technology I'll recall with fond memories what a joke it was.

Old July 7th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Rfburns" wrote in message

But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. Now
that's a cool strategy.

On at least a dozen different HD receivers, I have never had this happen.
Nor, until now in your message, have I ever heard of it happening.

Well, Eduardo it happens all the time on the Sony XDR-S3HD. Which is
practically being given away now because nobody wants them and places
like Best Buy, etc lost their ass on them.

Several of our LA offices have those, and they never do what you say they
do. You either have a defective unit or ar dealing in hypoerbole.

Old July 7th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Rfburns" wrote in message
..

Eduardo - I'd invite you over to my palce to hear some of these things
but you scare me.

Bring it to my office and we can compare it with several of them there, and
our engineering staff can look at the one you have too.

Old July 7th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"The Traveller" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:23:22 -0700, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"Rfburns" wrote in message
But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. Now
that's a cool strategy.

On at least a dozen different HD receivers, I have never had this happen.
Nor, until now in your message, have I ever heard of it happening.

I have a SONY XDR-S3HD and I live more than 20 miles+ from the nearest
AM transmitter. I can attest to the fact that the AM & FM HD
programming drops in & out on a regular basis even if the signal
strength bar graph shows a very strong signal! This is really annoying
(how strong does strong need to be?)

Try rereading the post by rfburns. He is talking about non-HD AMs dropping
out on the receiver, not HD digital channels.

The Sony is a second generation receiver, and none of them is very good at
HD reception.

As to AM in Carlsbad, you are at the fringe of the AM signals of the San
Diego HD AMs, so dropout would be likely on a bad receiver. The fact is that
SD does not even have an AM that totally covers the market with a usable
signal.

Old July 7th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default IBOC : FM HD-Radio -The Answer Is - The 4% Solution

wrote:

"Rfburns" wrote in message
But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. *Now
that's a cool strategy.

On at least a dozen different HD receivers, I have never had this happen..
Nor, until now in your message, have I ever heard of it happening.

I have a SONY XDR-S3HD and I live more than 20 miles+ from the nearest
AM transmitter. I can attest to the fact that the AM & FM HD
programming drops in & out on a regular basis even if the signal
strength bar graph shows a very strong signal! This is really annoying
(how strong does strong need to be?)

Worse yet, on FM, I even installed an amplified antenna to try to
improve the system as the signal was never strong enough (flashing HD
icon indicates the presence of an HD signal but reception is in analog
as it's too weak (sigh)). With the amplified antenna, HD locks on more
channels but STILL shows the flashing HD icon on many others! The
signal strength bar graph shows full strength!

My HD TV is via cable. As a FYI, I live in Carlsbad CA, which is 35
miles north of San Diego and 100 miles south of LA.

______________________

The Traveller
Carlsbad, California

Living-and-Listening Beyond-the-Pale {The 10 MV/M Contour}
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...dcdfa185e0923c

FM HD-Radio -The Answer Is - The 4% Solution
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...07beb97dcb233a

I Ask Myself : What IBOC ?
All I See Is The Blinking Blue Light ! ~ RHF
In That Distant Land* Where IBOC Fears To Go :
Life Exists and Radio Listeners Live Beyond the 10mv/m Contour.
* Twain Harte, CA -USA-
Old July 7th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 6, 11:36 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Rfburns" wrote in message

.

Eduardo - I'd invite you over to my palce to hear some of these things
but you scare me.

Bring it to my office and we can compare it with several of them there, and
our engineering staff can look at the one you have too.

Eduardo - with all due respect to you (which isn't much) what I say is
happening on the Sony is happening.

With the radio tuned to a non HD AM station, adjacent AM HD stations
cause the receiver to switch to HD which results in the receive audio
to shut off for several seconds. This occurs regularly on AM.

There is so much bad stuff about iBiquity HD in it's current state
that it's hard to know where to start, aside from the fact that the
Sony is a clunky piece of technology.

You can argue all night about whose fault it is - iBiquity or the
manufacturers but the consumer doesn't care. All they know is that
they don't want it and rightly so.
Old July 7th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 7, 12:05*am, Bart Bailey wrote:
In posted on Sun,
6 Jul 2008 22:24:13 -0700, David Eduardo wrote: Begin *

As far as AM HD, what the consumers don't want is AM. No amount of
technology can fix the AM band and its old-fart image among most anyone
under about 45. This is why AM listening is declining so fast, and the only
remaining listeners soon will be over 55, a group nearly no agency ad
account wants.

- Maybe the AM band will be abandoned by 'commercial'
- pollution and will remain, as FM once was,
- a non-commercial adjunct to a station's service.

AM/MW Radio Broadcasting in the USA is a Commercial
Enterprise and as such : =IF= There Is No Revenue : Them
There Is No Reason To Broadcast [.] - The AM/MW Band Dies.