Old July 5th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBiquity – Where’s the “HD” in “HD” radio?

Been listening to a little AM Broadcast Band “HD” radio and still
trying to figure out how iBiquity can tout it as CD quality.
Considering the fact that it takes about 40 kHz bandwidth to broadcast
all kinds of strange digital noises, odd warbling audio, dropouts and
interference issues, false “HD” detection and switching problems. No
CD system that I’ve heard sounds like that - even real cheap $15 ones.

I think that if manufacturers made better radios and broadcasters
would widen their AM signals you could achieve better and more
consistent quality with less bother. There’s just no reason to buy
one if you ask me.

What I find particularly amusing is stations transmitting infomercials
in iBiquity “HD” quality. Now that’s a real swell use of
spectrum.
Old July 5th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rfburns wrote:
Been listening to a little AM Broadcast Band “HD” radio and still
trying to figure out how iBiquity can tout it as CD quality.
Considering the fact that it takes about 40 kHz bandwidth to broadcast
all kinds of strange digital noises, odd warbling audio, dropouts and
interference issues, false “HD” detection and switching problems. No
CD system that I’ve heard sounds like that - even real cheap $15 ones.

I think that if manufacturers made better radios and broadcasters
would widen their AM signals you could achieve better and more
consistent quality with less bother. There’s just no reason to buy
one if you ask me.

What I find particularly amusing is stations transmitting infomercials
in iBiquity “HD” quality. Now that’s a real swell use of
spectrum.

The dubious claim is that HD makes FM sound like CD and AM sound like
FM. They both sound like XM on a bad day.
Old July 5th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBiquity * Where¹s the ³HD²in ³HD² radio?

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
Been listening to a little AM Broadcast Band ³HD² radio and still
trying to figure out how iBiquity can tout it as CD quality.
Considering the fact that it takes about 40 kHz bandwidth to broadcast
all kinds of strange digital noises, odd warbling audio, dropouts and
interference issues, false ³HD² detection and switching problems. No
CD system that I¹ve heard sounds like that - even real cheap $15 ones.

I think that if manufacturers made better radios and broadcasters
would widen their AM signals you could achieve better and more
consistent quality with less bother. There¹s just no reason to buy
one if you ask me.

What I find particularly amusing is stations transmitting infomercials
in iBiquity ³HD² quality. Now that¹s a real swell use of
spectrum.

The dubious claim is that HD makes FM sound like CD and AM sound like
FM. They both sound like XM on a bad day.

Do you have any idea what you sound like? A whack job and that's on a
good day.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 5th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
Been listening to a little AM Broadcast Band ³HD² radio and still
trying to figure out how iBiquity can tout it as CD quality.
Considering the fact that it takes about 40 kHz bandwidth to
broadcast all kinds of strange digital noises, odd warbling
audio, dropouts and interference issues, false ³HD² detection and
switching problems. No CD system that I¹ve heard sounds like
that - even real cheap $15 ones.

I think that if manufacturers made better radios and broadcasters
would widen their AM signals you could achieve better and more
consistent quality with less bother. There¹s just no reason to
buy one if you ask me.

What I find particularly amusing is stations transmitting
infomercials in iBiquity ³HD² quality. Now that¹s a real swell
use of spectrum.
The dubious claim is that HD makes FM sound like CD and AM sound
like FM. They both sound like XM on a bad day.

Do you have any idea what you sound like? A whack job and that's on
a good day.

I wonder if he can actually hear. Though, nowhere near High Fidelity
on it's best day, XM has clearly been working on its codec. Compared to
audio I trapped three+ years ago, the audio on XM has vastly improved.
Talk channels still suck, but the music channels are much more listenable.

I much prefer XM to HD.

My brother has XM in two cars and at home. The home stereo was expensive
and I did not care for the sound in any of those situations.

Going through the channels I could not find one I liked same as
terrestrial radio. Some channels I could listen to for a while but then
they would play stuff I didn't like so I would skip around to another
channel. All in all I could not see paying for it as I tired of looking
for something I wanted to hear every few minutes.

Traveling down the road in the car passing under some trees and having
the sound drop out is kind of lame for new technology.

XM audio has artifacts I don't like, programming I don't care for, and
works like crap in the car so it's not for me.

HD in the broadcast bands as IBOC is an engineering abortion best case.

So what do I do for listening other than SW? I listen to a variety of
talk shows, news, and weather on AM. On FM it is usually classical music
or NPR talk programs and news. If both of those fail to interest me at
the moment I play CD's that are usually either classical or contemporary
music in the album format that I purchase or make myself.

I have never found a music format that didn't literally dive me nuts on
terrestrial radio. The formats always sounded disassociative to me. The
only way I can listen to music is as the performers intended as an album.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 5th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
[...]

Whack job? Who talks like that.

Old July 6th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
[...]

You. You whack job.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 6th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
[...]

I quit XM completely about a year ago. They use a very similar coder to
HD radio. I can only stand Sirius in the car. I'm pretty much a web
streamer these days.
Old July 6th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
[...]

You have social issues.
Old July 6th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
[...]

You have a refried brain.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 6th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
d like? A whack job and that's on a
good day.

Whack job? Who talks like that.
You. You whack job.

You have social issues.

You have a refried brain.

Since you can't point to anything specific I must pronounce you a fool.