Old July 8th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RF Systems MTA.

Interesting post Peter: I have the RF Systems MLB random wire antenna and
it's built like a tank (and all stainless) but I'd like a second antenna. I
live in fairly crowded surburban area north of Boston and that vertical is
very appealing. What frequency range have you tested? My receivers feed
into the W8ZR multicoupler (built from kit).

--
Brian Denley
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

Finally got this antenna installed more permanently, in a quiet area of
the yard. Been using it basically leaning in a corner of the garage. Now,
it's out, it's elevated, and it's in the clear.

Results?

Astonishing.

Old July 8th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian Denley wrote:
Interesting post Peter: I have the RF Systems MLB random wire antenna and
it's built like a tank (and all stainless) but I'd like a second antenna. I
live in fairly crowded surburban area north of Boston and that vertical is
very appealing. What frequency range have you tested? My receivers feed
into the W8ZR multicoupler (built from kit).

Noise resistance is nothing short of amazing.

Here I sit with brewing thunderstorms a few miles north, and MW is
wiped out on every receiver but those connected to the MTA. I'm
listening to 5975 on the Drake, with only the faintest trace of
electrical noise.

Never got this quiet with the Eavesdropper or the A-D DX Ultra.

Sensitivity is fairly uniform with this antenna across the spectrum
from 500k to about 29M. No peaks. No valleys. I've gone up and down the
dial. No surprises. Always quiet, and smooth response.

Old July 8th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian Denley wrote:
..and what was your thinking in picking the MTA over the GMDSS? I ask
because that looks like a tough choice.

It was. I was concerned about MW sensitivity as well as upper HF. LF
is pretty much a wash around here. Only a beacon or two. And I do listen
10 meter hams, so the upper limit of the MTA, and the good MW action
down to 500k was a more desireable curve than the GMDSS with it's roll
off at 25 Mhzr and extended response down to 100k.

I may spring for the GMDSS later, to compare, but for now, the MTA
gets me precisely where I want to go.

Rare for a single antenna to meet so many needs out of the box.
Old September 30th 09, 10:57 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Peter Maus View Post
Brian Denley wrote:
..and what was your thinking in picking the MTA over the GMDSS? I ask
because that looks like a tough choice.

It was. I was concerned about MW sensitivity as well as upper HF. LF
is pretty much a wash around here. Only a beacon or two. And I do listen
10 meter hams, so the upper limit of the MTA, and the good MW action
down to 500k was a more desireable curve than the GMDSS with it's roll
off at 25 Mhzr and extended response down to 100k.

I may spring for the GMDSS later, to compare, but for now, the MTA
gets me precisely where I want to go.

Rare for a single antenna to meet so many needs out of the box.

Can anyone who owns the MTA (or the GMDSS) tell me about how much this antenna weighs?

Thx,
Mike McIntyre

RF Systems MTA. RHF Shortwave 0 July 7th 08 08:03 PM
RF Systems MTA. RHF Shortwave 0 July 7th 08 07:57 PM
RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II [email protected] Shortwave 6 June 10th 07 07:17 PM
RF Systems MTA Larry Echols Shortwave 0 October 1st 03 02:50 AM
WTB: RF Systems DX-One Pro Michael Holme Shortwave 3 August 20th 03 10:09 PM