Old September 8th 08, 07:51 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The Strange True Story of a Radio Station's Transmitter in NewYorkState

christopher wrote:

Didn't Tesla propose using DC current, basically broadcast/produced from
thousands of transmitters. In order to use the electrical current/field,
all one had to do was ground one side/wire to Earth. The other side or
wire would be the receptor/antenna for lack of a better term.

I'm not a technical person but I think I have the basic premise right.

No. It wasn't DC, since DC is direct current. That was Edison who
would have needed a power plant every half mile or so. Tesla was hyping
"Broadcast power" which was lossy broadband RF power that would wipe out
most of the usable RF spectrum. Due to the 'Inverse Square Law', it was
impractical, and always will be.

Tesla was responsible for AC power distribution, which ****ed Edison
off.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Old September 8th 08, 08:11 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
msg msg is offline

christopher wrote:

snip
Didn't Tesla propose using DC current, basically broadcast/produced from
thousands of transmitters. In order to use the electrical current/field,
all one had to do was ground one side/wire to Earth. The other side or
wire would be the receptor/antenna for lack of a better term.

FWIW, the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer
describes some of Tesla's ideas and also has a list of references to more
recent wireless energy distribution schemes.

Michael
Old September 8th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tesla was responsible for AC power distribution, which ****ed Edison
off.

Rumor was that Edison couldn't understand how one could
measure 120 volts between any two of three terminals.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old September 8th 08, 09:25 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:35:25 +0100, "Alec"
wrote:

Back at about the same time the BBC had (and still has) a powerful
transmitter on 200khz (now198) a local farmer who lived close to the
station
built a large tuning coil in the loft and lit his house using fluorescent
tubes.

He was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity or something
similar.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), did it make the
signal weaker for everybody else?

73 de G3NYY

Only in the near field (at the site). Theoretically, there is a limit to
the number of receivers for any one signal (swamping), but that number has
never been approached.

As for the original story, I can verify that it CAN be done, and is done
inadvertantly in places where homes are found in the area of an 'antenna
farm'. In Portland, for instance, the antenna farm for the high powered FM
signals is in a residential shared area. Some homes within that area that
use fluorescent lighting still have some light from the tubes with the
switch turned off. This is not full light, but neither are they using a
tuned circuit.

Old September 8th 08, 10:21 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rumor was that Edison couldn't understand how one could
measure 120 volts between any two of three terminals.

No rumor about it. Westinghouse published several papers on electricity
where he described voltage and current phase and had a true understanding of
it. Edison was a hands-on experimenter who had little theoretical physics
or mathematics background. That's why the two had a feud about AC vs DC.
After Edison's assistant died of radiation poisoning, he was very leary of
things he didn't understand and tried to convince people that AC current was
just too dangerous. He also refused any more experiments concerning
radiation.

Old September 8th 08, 10:32 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
christopher wrote:
Didn't Tesla propose using DC current, basically broadcast/produced from
thousands of transmitters. In order to use the electrical current/field,
all one had to do was ground one side/wire to Earth. The other side or
wire would be the receptor/antenna for lack of a better term.

I'm not a technical person but I think I have the basic premise right.

No. It wasn't DC, since DC is direct current. That was Edison who
would have needed a power plant every half mile or so. Tesla was hyping
"Broadcast power" which was lossy broadband RF power that would wipe out
most of the usable RF spectrum. Due to the 'Inverse Square Law', it was
impractical, and always will be.

Tesla was responsible for AC power distribution, which ****ed Edison
off.

Tesla worked for Edison when he came up with AC power distribution.
Edison favored DC for some reason and Tesla quit and went to work for
Westinghouse. When the electric chair was proposed Edison did everything
he could to discredit it because it used Tesla's AC power.

Dave N
Old September 9th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Strange True Story of a Radio Station's Transmitter inNewY...

Nikola Tesla owned a Pierce Arrow car which he converted to run on
wireless electricity.He installed an AC motor in the car, no battery
power to the AC motor.He said his car gets it's power from the ether all
around us.
How did he do that?
www.reformation.org/nikoa-tesla.html
cuhulin

Old September 9th 08, 01:25 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Tesla worked for Edison when he came up with AC power distribution.

Edison favored DC for some reason and Tesla quit and went to work for
Westinghouse. When the electric chair was proposed Edison did everything
he could to discredit it because it used Tesla's AC power.

"The first electric chair was made by Harold P. Brown. Brown was an employee
of Thomas Edison, hired for the purpose of researching electrocution and for
the development of the electric chair. Since Brown worked for Edison, and
Edison promoted Brown's work, the development of the electric chair is often
erroneously credited to Edison himself. Brown's design was based on use of
Nikola Tesla's alternating current (AC), which was marketed by George
Westinghouse and was then just emerging as the rival to Edison's less
transport-efficient direct current (DC), which was further along in
commercial development. The decision to use AC was partly driven by Edison's
claims that AC was more lethal than DC."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_chair

John H.

Old September 9th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have been fooling around with electricity since I was about six years
old when another kid dared me to stick my finger in a light bulb
socket.ZAPP!

How do you know Nikola Tesla didn't run that Pierce Arrow car on
wireless electricity? I believe he did.

I typed that URL correctly in my previous post.It worked for me when I
first typed it and clicked on it.
cuhulin

Old September 9th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Oh, I see now.I mispelled Nikola in that URL.I blame it on my keyboard.

Hey, Dr.Strangelove movie is crakin up on the TCM channel now.
cuhulin

The Strange True Story of a Radio Station's Transmitter in New YorkState javawizard Antenna 58 September 15th 08 07:35 PM
OT Here Roy True Story Burr Shortwave 0 January 14th 08 11:33 AM
Silly True Story Illustrates Why FCC Regulations are Good javawizard Policy 0 July 16th 07 06:57 PM
one last one, too funy to not pass along true story Jim Hampton CB 2 April 8th 04 11:28 PM