Old August 11th 08, 01:02 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The Strange True Story of a Radio Station's Transmitter in New York State

"HiTech RedNeck" wrote in message

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message

I used to pick up AM radio stations in my head. The theory back then was
that it was due to dental work acting as a rectifier, etc.

How on earth could you sleep. You'd need to make your bedroom into a
Faraday cage.

--------------

Truly, it didn't bother me at all. Of course, it could have been just a
coincidence. I used to wonder if I had memorized their play sheet and then
just applied that to the great sense of time that I had back then. I could
come within a minute, twenty four hours a day, of giving the correct time
each and every time someone asked.

The AM radio sense disappeared when I went into the USAF in 1965. When I
came back from the USAF some four years later, the 1380 WAMS radio station
was gone as was the use of the frequency. The USAF removed quite of a few
teeth during my four year sojurn. I always figured that was the reason why
radio reception stopped.

Ed, NM2K

Old September 8th 08, 02:22 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:35:25 +0100, "Alec"
wrote:

Back at about the same time the BBC had (and still has) a powerful
transmitter on 200khz (now198) a local farmer who lived close to the station
built a large tuning coil in the loft and lit his house using fluorescent
tubes.

He was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity or something
similar.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), did it make the
signal weaker for everybody else?

Unlikely anywhere other than in the very near vicinity, and at that
range who would have noticed.

--

Brian
Old September 8th 08, 03:04 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Back at about the same time the BBC had (and still has) a powerful
transmitter on 200khz (now198) a local farmer who lived close to the
station
built a large tuning coil in the loft and lit his house using fluorescent
tubes.

He was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity or something
similar.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), did it make the
signal weaker for everybody else?

73 de G3NYY

In the version that I heard it was the null that the 'suck out' caused that
led to an investigation that resulted in the prosecution.

Now whether this is true or not is another matter.

73
Jeff

Old September 8th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Strange True Story of a Radio Station's Transmitter in New...

I saw them on tv last night.(Sand Hogs, that is) While the Brooklyn
Bridge was celebrating the 100 hundredth anniversary, at the same time,
those Sand Hogs, hundreds of feet below ground were celebrating blasting
their way with dynamite to the Croton thingy.
Sand Hogs are Tough!
cuhulin

Old September 8th 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff wrote:
"Back at about the same time the BBC had (and still has) a powerful
transmitter on 200khz (now198) a local farmer who lived close to the
station
built a large tuning coil in the loft and lit his house using fluorescent
tubes.

He was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity or something
similar.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), did it make the
signal weaker for everybody else?

73 de G3NYY

In the version that I heard it was the null that the 'suck out' caused that
led to an investigation that resulted in the prosecution.

Now whether this is true or not is another matter.

It seems to me that a resonant structure to capture energy would
re-radiate so I can't see where such a null would come from, the
wavelength is long so the path difference between the main tx and the
re-radiator would make such a phase shift difficult to achieve.

--

Brian

Old September 8th 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In the version that I heard it was the null that the 'suck out' caused
that
led to an investigation that resulted in the prosecution.

Now whether this is true or not is another matter.

It seems to me that a resonant structure to capture energy would
re-radiate so I can't see where such a null would come from, the
wavelength is long so the path difference between the main tx and the
re-radiator would make such a phase shift difficult to achieve.

--

Brian

Surely that would only be true if the power was not dumped into a load? The
power in the load has to come from somewhere, and if it is in the load it is
not in the aether.

Jeff

Old September 8th 08, 04:16 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff wrote:
In the version that I heard it was the null that the 'suck out' caused
that
led to an investigation that resulted in the prosecution.

Now whether this is true or not is another matter.

It seems to me that a resonant structure to capture energy would
re-radiate so I can't see where such a null would come from, the
wavelength is long so the path difference between the main tx and the
re-radiator would make such a phase shift difficult to achieve.

Surely that would only be true if the power was not dumped into a load? The
power in the load has to come from somewhere, and if it is in the load it is
not in the aether.

It depends on the power captured vs the power in the load, but in any
case the aperture of the loop is fairly small and cannot allow energy to
be captured from outside that aperture. In comparison with the size of
the transmitting antenna and the field it generates this must be
insignificant I think.

In fact, I wonder if he could really run a house full of fluorescent
lights this way.

--

Brian
Old September 8th 08, 04:19 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"Jeff" wrote:

"Back at about the same time the BBC had (and still has) a powerful
transmitter on 200khz (now198) a local farmer who lived close to the
station
built a large tuning coil in the loft and lit his house using fluorescent
tubes.

He was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity or something
similar.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), did it make the
signal weaker for everybody else?

73 de G3NYY

In the version that I heard it was the null that the 'suck out' caused that
led to an investigation that resulted in the prosecution.

Now whether this is true or not is another matter.

73
Jeff

I thought the farmers equipment caused four "nulls", or local minima, in the
radiation pattern.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Old September 8th 08, 04:59 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
msg msg is offline

Alec wrote:

Back at about the same time the BBC had (and still has) a powerful
transmitter on 200khz (now198) a local farmer who lived close to the station
built a large tuning coil in the loft and lit his house using fluorescent
tubes.

He was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity or something
similar.

Please provide citations for this story; it retells what appears to be
an "urban legend". Here is another take on the story:

=============QUOTED MATERIAL=========================================
From: "Steve Maudsley"
Newsgroups: uk.legal
Subject: Theft of electricity?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:12:00 -0000

"Jeff" wrote in message

But a transformer still involves a direct physical connection to the
mains via the primary. The primary is consuming current via its
physical connection, whatever may happen to the current after it has
entered the primary.

The power line *is the primary*!! It is just that the secondary is
separated from it by a larger distance than normal.

In any case I believe that someone was prosecuted some years ago
for doing what it being suggested.

I do recall a story about 30 years ago (possibly apocryphal) about a farmer
who lived on the UK side of the Radio Luxemburg transmitter and powered his
cattle shed from the radio waves, and was prosecuted. Radio Luxemburg had
some sort of phased array and the cows electrical use disrupted the beam.
================END OF QUOTED MATERIAL====================================

Michael

From: "Steve Maudsley" Message-ID:
Newsgroups: uk.legal
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:12:00 -0000 NNTP-Posting-Host: 81.103.216.21
Net Usenet Service

"Jeff" wrote in message

[...]

Didn't Tesla propose using DC current, basically broadcast/produced from
thousands of transmitters. In order to use the electrical current/field,
all one had to do was ground one side/wire to Earth. The other side or
wire would be the receptor/antenna for lack of a better term.

I'm not a technical person but I think I have the basic premise right.

The Strange True Story of a Radio Station's Transmitter in New YorkState javawizard Antenna 58 September 15th 08 07:35 PM
OT Here Roy True Story Burr Shortwave 0 January 14th 08 10:33 AM
Silly True Story Illustrates Why FCC Regulations are Good javawizard Policy 0 July 16th 07 06:57 PM
one last one, too funy to not pass along true story Jim Hampton CB 2 April 8th 04 11:28 PM