Old September 3rd 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio St. Helena Day 08.

D Peter Maus wrote:

Yes, 'verie' refers to MW broadcasts among BCDXers. Got it. Ham Q-code
is a different language.

Lighten up.

You are inspiring the wrong person. Eduardo knows what the word means.
He isn't the one mocking it's use.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Densa International©
For the OTHER two percent.

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

For solutions which may work for you, please check:
http://improve-usenet.org/

Old September 3rd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

Yes, 'verie' refers to MW broadcasts among BCDXers. Got it. Ham Q-code
is a different language.

Lighten up.

You are inspiring the wrong person. Eduardo knows what the word means.
He isn't the one mocking it's use.

Pay attention, twit. I'm not mocking the use of the word at all. I am, however,
mocking the pedantic 'Eduardo'.

Old September 3rd 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Pay attention, twit. I'm not mocking the use of the word at all. I am, however,
mocking the pedantic 'Eduardo'.

Why are you so immature?

mike

Old September 4th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception
report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been
sent.

You are such a moron.

You are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Now go pretend to own something, boy.

So, you are saying that MW DXers do not call their verifications of
reception "veries" despite overwhelming evidence from all quarters that
we
do?

What I'm saying is that you are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Please, try to
follow
along, boy.

What you are saying is that MW verifications are not called "veries" since
you make fun of the term at every opportunity.

You are wrong, of course.

Old September 4th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
officially.

But in casual conversations with my broadcast colleagues, (as during
lunch with Kipper, Thursday, it expressed an area of specific dimensions,
and commercial implications that current terminology expresses with other
parameters and in a more verbally cumbersome way. He understood what I was
saying. I understood what I was saying. Two Ringwraiths speaking Orc.

Kipper, whoever he is, as well as you, should know that there is a current,
well understood substitute for ADI called the DMA and is the only non-Metro
definition that will be enduring. Arbitron shed the ADI definition when they
quit TV, decades ago. And even the TSA disappears with the PPM.

DMA speaks to current TV markets. ADI speaks to the ones of the 70's...
pre-cable (although not pre-CATV) and pre-satellite and such.

Old September 4th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception
report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been
sent.

You are such a moron.

You are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Now go pretend to own something, boy.

So, you are saying that MW DXers do not call their verifications of
reception "veries" despite overwhelming evidence from all quarters that
we
do?

What I'm saying is that you are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Please, try to
follow
along, boy.

What you are saying is that MW verifications are not called "veries" since
you make fun of the term at every opportunity.

No, I make fun of you at every opportunity, boy! Now run along and pretend that
you own something!

Old September 4th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
officially.
But in casual conversations with my broadcast colleagues, (as during
lunch with Kipper, Thursday, it expressed an area of specific dimensions,
and commercial implications that current terminology expresses with other
parameters and in a more verbally cumbersome way. He understood what I was
saying. I understood what I was saying. Two Ringwraiths speaking Orc.

Kipper, whoever he is,

Kipper McGee. Program Director of WLS.

as well as you, should know that there is a current,
well understood substitute for ADI called the DMA and is the only non-Metro
definition that will be enduring. Arbitron shed the ADI definition when they
quit TV, decades ago. And even the TSA disappears with the PPM.

DMA speaks to current TV markets. ADI speaks to the ones of the 70's...
pre-cable (although not pre-CATV) and pre-satellite and such.

So what?

Again, all of this is known and understood. But none of which is
important here. Nor is it the point. In casual conversation among
peers, archaic terms are not out of place, out of line, or
inappropriate. Some even create their own language.

Worldwide, metric is the standard. Even in the US, metric
measurements are commonplace, and becoming a defacto standard.

But two meters isn't the same, perceptually, to everyone. Some
prefer yards, and feet. They understand in yards and feet.

Again, so what.

It was even a point of resolution in the original 'Flight of the
Phoenix' between Towns and Dorfmann. Dorfmann, a pedantic little
German, went around correcting everyone in sight. Routinely
dismissing the experiential understandings of other survivors. Even
Captain Towns, whose experience and time in type was beyond
reproach. They argued about everything. Including correct
terminology. And specifically, yards vs meters.

Nonetheless, Dorfmann treated Towns like he was a moron. An
aberration on his own divine scheme. Correcting him at every turn.

In the end, Dorfmann and Towns came to an understanding. The last
line of the movie specifically represented this through the mutual
acceptance of the yard AND the meter.

Yes, you are correct. There are specific terms, more current
terms, and they are, technically speaking, correct. But in the world
of conversation among peers, in the interest of mutual respect,
agreements are made to accept each other's language.

Those that can't.....

well....nobody really wanted to bring along Dorfmann.

Lighten up, David. You two speak different languages. In his
language, he's correct. In yours you are. Trouble is, you think the
rest of the universe needs to adhere to your specifications. Don't
be such a pedantic little tin plated tyrant with delusions of adequacy.

You gotta be a JOY to work for.

(Geez...and they call ME and asshole.....)

Old September 27th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Drifter wrote:

[snip]

the flash-sheet has been good the last few weeks. i never thought
about the HTML. your right. BTW, did you submit your name for
that list the club was sending to the station for missing qsl's?
of all people, i figured you would have been in the first mailing.

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception report and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

After an email exchange, Laura Lawrence, current Station Mgr. (who leaves the post on Friday) has
told m that she'll be sending me the QSL (verie, for those in Glendale)

She did indicate that for some reason, a lot of reports from the USA seem to have gotten lost in
the post.

Radio St. Helena 40th Anniversary QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) received today.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B
70' and 200' wires
I swear by, not at, Drake receivers.

And, as always, don't do business with The Huntington Investment Company.

Old September 29th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 27, 10:05*pm, dxAce wrote:
Radio St. Helena 40th Anniversary QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) received today.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Ace = well done, though you must have a closet full of those.
Is this a result of the first one not coming and you requesting a
second one?
The St. Helena mail gets transhipped in Cape Town and they are
notorious for losing mail

JP

Radio St. Helena dxAce Shortwave 3 October 11th 07 02:02 AM
Radio St. Helena dxAce Shortwave 9 November 6th 06 04:50 PM
Radio St. Helena Day - Nov. 4 dxAce Shortwave 9 November 6th 06 12:17 AM
Radio St. Helena Lisa Simpson Shortwave 5 November 4th 06 11:54 PM
Radio St. Helena dxAce Shortwave 0 November 4th 06 11:37 PM