Old September 24th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default For those hoping IBOC is going to go away......

gee, should i believe "elaich" or "brenda ann"....or should I believe a
journalist from radio & records. hmmmm....

i think the journalist from r&r has more credibility.

"Radio Ron" wrote in message
. ..

"elaich" wrote in message
"Brenda Ann" wrote in news:Y_-
:

The FCC NEVER mandated the inclusion of FM.

What the FCC did was require FM to have original programming, and that's
why it took off. Before that, most AM stations just simulcast on their
sister FM.

Are you making this up....or did you read the article.

While the FCC did require seperate programming....that is not what the
article was talking about.

It said:

"FCC Requires AM Radios To Also Carry FM - 1974"

Re-read it....

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRWebSite/
FCC Requires AM Radios To Also Carry FM - 1974
By Chuck Taylor

Imagine how HD radio would receive a much-needed jump-start if the feds
required moving forward that all radios include the technology.

That's exactly what the government mandated in 1974 to push along
acceptance
of FM amid a broadcast landscape that was still dominated by the AM band.
That year, the Senate passed a bill to give the FCC authority to require
that all radios selling for more than $15 be able to receive AM and FM.
The
bill followed a pattern set years earlier when Congress passed legislation
requiring that UHF and VHF reception be built into TV sets. Sen. Frank
Moss,
D-Utah, sponsor of the bill, said at the time, "The American consumer is
probably not aware that we have reached the limit on AM frequencies and
that
virtually all new radio stations will be on the FM band. People buy radios
today unaware that they are limiting their listening opportunities."

Old September 24th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Radio Ron" wrote in
:

The FCC NEVER mandated the inclusion of FM.

What the FCC did was require FM to have original programming, and that's
why it took off. Before that, most AM stations just simulcast on their
sister FM.

Are you making this up....or did you read the article.

No, I didn't read the article. I lived during the times. And, please pay
attention to who is quoted and who quoted whom in future posts.

The bill, as stated earlier, did NOT pass.

There was no mandate that FM be included on all radios. Please don't try to
reinvent my life story. I was there. Obviously, you were not.
Old September 24th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in

I agree 100%. But it is troubling that the chairman backs this w/o
asking the technical questions. It's likely one could see why if we
could follow the $$ trail.
It seems it was not this way in past decades when the chairman had a
technical backgroundt and could think for himself.

When you have a Presidential candidate who graduated 850th out of 887 in
his college class (McCain - Naval Academy, no less) then you can see where
this country is headed.
Old September 24th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"R Palino" wrote in message
news
gee, should i believe "elaich" or "brenda ann"....or should I believe a
journalist from radio & records. hmmmm....

i think the journalist from r&r has more credibility.

No, neither does.

And in this case, R&R flubbed it. The story is totally untrue.

Old September 24th 08, 07:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"A Brown" wrote in news:TMYBk.1068$as4.365
@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

The technology is there and ready to go now.

And, nobody wants it. So the stupid ass government is gonna jam it down our
throats, based upon who's pockets got greased.

I would sure hate to grow up in the world that you are destined to grow up
in.

I'm gonna go fire up my old Zenith now and listen to OTR on KSL. Real
radio. You wouldn't have a clue.
Old September 24th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"elaich" wrote in message ...
"Radio Ron" wrote in
:

The FCC NEVER mandated the inclusion of FM.

What the FCC did was require FM to have original programming, and that's
why it took off. Before that, most AM stations just simulcast on their
sister FM.

Are you making this up....or did you read the article.

No, I didn't read the article. I lived during the times. And, please pay
attention to who is quoted and who quoted whom in future posts.

The bill, as stated earlier, did NOT pass.

There was no mandate that FM be included on all radios. Please don't try
reinvent my life story. I was there. Obviously, you were not.

but maybe you have alzheimers now....the R&R writer is has more credibility

Old September 24th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Radio Ron" wrote in message
. ..

"elaich" wrote in message
"Radio Ron" wrote in
:

The FCC NEVER mandated the inclusion of FM.

What the FCC did was require FM to have original programming, and
that's
why it took off. Before that, most AM stations just simulcast on their
sister FM.

Are you making this up....or did you read the article.

No, I didn't read the article. I lived during the times. And, please pay
attention to who is quoted and who quoted whom in future posts.

The bill, as stated earlier, did NOT pass.

There was no mandate that FM be included on all radios. Please don't try
reinvent my life story. I was there. Obviously, you were not.

but maybe you have alzheimers now....the R&R writer is has more
credibility

Again, the bill made it in the Senate, but not the House. It never became
law.

R&R makes mistakes, the NYT makes mistakes. Obviously, someone who was not
around in the 70's confused the facts. Badly.

Old September 24th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

but maybe you have alzheimers now....the R&R writer is has more
credibility

The Congressional Record has much more. There are no citations in several
hundred Google pages regarding this bill ever being passed in the House.

The R&R article may well be "accurate" to a point: e.g. the Senate may have
passed the bill (again, I can find no cites in the Congressional Record. Not
sure whether they post bills that are not passed), but the House of
Representatives did not, therefor the bill could never have become law.

Again, imperical evidence (the fact that AM only radios still exist in the
US marketplace) tends to put the lie to the article.