Old September 30th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default All Radio's To Have HD Chips

As we watch The Great 2008 American Meltdown, courtesy of Democrats
and Republicans, it will be interesting seeing how our elected fools
will destroy radio broadcasting. You can bring your horse to the water
but can you make it drink?

If HD grabs hold, I guarantee audience shares that broadcasters depend
on to sell ads will continue to shrink and facture further, as
listeners are scattered everyplace. Radio will look just like cable
shares. Broadcasters are struggling now to provide compelling content
on their main channels and selling ads to just remain profitable isn’t
easy. Adding another 60 or 90 signals to a market won’t help anyone.
Think of it this way, the city regulators of your community gave their
approval to speculators to build 90 new malls. How many malls can
anyone shop at and how can all those stores survive selling goods in a
market with government-forced over-competition and not enough
customers?

The Am band as we know it become the playground for religious
broadcasters and radical nuts. Plus added digital noise to the Am band
will just screw things up more!

The "Radio All Digital Channel Receiver Act" (HR 7157) would jump out
past the FCC and require that any receiver that's designed for both
Sirius XM satellite radio and terrestrial reception also be equipped
with one of iBiquity's HD Radio chips. Neither Congress nor the FCC
has gone that far yet - unlike earlier laws that required VHF
television sets to also be equipped with UHF tuners. Massachusetts
Democrat Markey says "Millions of Americans rely on local broadcast
radio for news, public safety bulletins, sports, weather, traffic and
other information" - and that, plus the recently-allowed merger of the
only two satellite operators "has underscored the importance of
ensuring consumer access to a diversity of sources for digital radio
content." The move would help HD Radio system developer iBiquty and
the HD Radio Alliance - but it's unclear what its legislative future
is. The NAB, which hasn't always been on the same side of some fights
as Markey, applauds this idea.

Old September 30th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Could Satrad receivers be forced to include inferior HD Radio chips?

On Sep 30, 11:51*am, Pocket-Radio wrote:
[...]

Dumb-ass - I saw your same post on RI. This only applies to Satrad
receviers that can pick up analog AM/FM, nor ALL analog radios, in
general
Old September 30th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 1:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

There’s nothing worst than an ass, with a computer.
All analog radios won't be far behind? You can bet on it!
Old September 30th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 3:35*pm, Pocket-Radio wrote:
On Sep 30, 1:16*pm, wrote:

[...]

All analog radios won't be far behind? You can bet on it!- Hide quoted text -

"The U.S. government cannot force a manufacturer to buy a licensed
item from a private party (Ibiquity) which is the sole supplier of HD
Radio chips."

Will never happen.

Old October 1st 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 30, 1:16*pm, wrote:

[...]

-
- Will never happen.

D'Oh ! - Once a US Patent is issued :
That is what in-fact happens.
http://www.uspto.gov/

most of the time ~ RHF
Old October 1st 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Pocket-Radio" wrote in message

The Am band as we know it become the playground for religious
broadcasters and radical nuts. Plus added digital noise to the Am band
will just screw things up more!

AM is already dead. In the last 2 years, the remaining News/Talk/Sports
Talk stations here have all added simulcast FM stations. It won't be long
before the AM stations go away.

Which is fine with me, it will leave more room for me to broadcast my own
stuff in my house on my Part 15 AM transmitters.

No one cares about radio any more. It is 100 year old technology, and
showing its age. Today people have cell phones with internet connectivity,
and MP3 players.

This is the last generation to listen to radio. Digital radio was a last
ditch attempt to save radio. It is funny to see so many people here
rooting for digital radio to fail. When digital radio fails, there will be
no more money invested in radio, period. Advertisers will go elsewhere.
Stations will disappear.

In 10 years AM radio will be another memory (it already is for many folks),
like TV before 50" HD screens. TV made the transition to digital, radio
has not.

Old October 2nd 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"elaich" wrote in message ...
"A Browne" wrote in
:

The question is: "How do we make more music formats and choices
available for free?"

"How do we make AM stations sound better?"

ANSWER: IBOC

You're living in a dream world. The reason nobody listens to radio any
more
is the complete dearth of interesting programming.

Dream world? It's you that don't know the facts.

95% of all Americans listen to the radio once per week.

Sangean ATS-909 Radio's SSB -versus- Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio's... HF propagation Shortwave 0 May 2nd 08 10:31 PM
DDS chips Ken Scharf Homebrew 22 May 18th 04 08:00 PM
DDS chips Ken Scharf Homebrew 0 May 12th 04 02:49 AM
IC Chips ku4yp Homebrew 2 September 29th 03 04:36 PM
IC Chips ku4yp Homebrew 0 September 28th 03 06:55 PM