Old December 11th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Okay, antenna talk time, what do you use?

After a week of owning the Grundig G6, so far the best antenna
arrangement for me is simply running a speaker wire along the ground
about 70 feet in my backyard. The Slinky antenna didn't work out well,
running a wire on the top of my house gave me more inference (plus
overloading), and the whip antenna isn't good on weaker signals. I've
heard that a CB antenna does well on the higher freqs on SW (15mhz and
above), if I can get one cheap, I'll try to hook that up on my roof.

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?
Old December 11th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SC Dxing" wrote in message
After a week of owning the Grundig G6, so far the best antenna
arrangement for me is simply running a speaker wire along the ground
about 70 feet in my backyard. The Slinky antenna didn't work out well,
running a wire on the top of my house gave me more inference (plus
overloading), and the whip antenna isn't good on weaker signals. I've
heard that a CB antenna does well on the higher freqs on SW (15mhz and
above), if I can get one cheap, I'll try to hook that up on my roof.

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

I have a wire strung around the attic. Works so-so.

Old December 11th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SC Dxing wrote:

After a week of owning the Grundig G6, so far the best antenna
arrangement for me is simply running a speaker wire along the ground
about 70 feet in my backyard. The Slinky antenna didn't work out well,
running a wire on the top of my house gave me more inference (plus
overloading), and the whip antenna isn't good on weaker signals. I've
heard that a CB antenna does well on the higher freqs on SW (15mhz and
above), if I can get one cheap, I'll try to hook that up on my roof.

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

Two antennas here, one is a 70' wire running N-S and the other is 200' wire
running W-E.

Both are 9' above the ground and are transformer matched to 50 ohm coax which
makes a buried run into the house.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 11th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

SC Dxing wrote:

[...]

Morning, I have used a sloping "L" for years both in Ridgecrest, Ca. and
here in the Philippines. This works very well for me, just be sure to run
the long leg E-W.

Burr's Radio Shack - http://tinyurl.com/3wuscn

Red Mountain, California / Bulacan, Philippines

Old December 12th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 11, 4:10*pm, SC Dxing wrote:

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

An ethernet cable connected to the internet.

Old December 12th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Dec 11, 4:10 pm, SC Dxing wrote:

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

An ethernet cable connected to the internet.

That works. I use internet feeds a lot local U.S. feeds, sports and
scanning local U.S. stuff.
Butt, I use two short-wave radios and a scanner for the world stuff I want
to hear and I scan the Emergency Freq.'s a long the China Sea and air
freq.'s.

Old December 12th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
SC Dxing wrote:

After a week of owning the Grundig G6, so far the best antenna
arrangement for me is simply running a speaker wire along the ground
about 70 feet in my backyard. The Slinky antenna didn't work out well,
running a wire on the top of my house gave me more inference (plus
overloading), and the whip antenna isn't good on weaker signals. I've
heard that a CB antenna does well on the higher freqs on SW (15mhz and
above), if I can get one cheap, I'll try to hook that up on my roof.

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

I have two split shielded loops. One north-south and the other east-west.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 12th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 11, 6:18*pm, "Burr" wrote:

Morning, I have used a sloping "L" for years both in Ridgecrest, Ca. and
here in the Philippines. This works very well for me, just be sure to run
the long leg E-W.

I'll google that one and try it. I'm happy with the reception I am
getting but I guess part of the fun is playing around with stuff like
antennas.... I figure with my little unit, I can't ask it to do too
much. I figure I should have at least 2 different antenna lengths,
probably 4 would even be better.

I also figured out the SW radio I had 13 or so years ago, it was an RS
DX-390 that went kaput after 2 years. I remember it would auto-mute
though when flipping the dial. Too bad I mucked it, reading through
the web, it was probably fixable.

And DxAce, thanks much for your input.

Now if I could find a radio shop here in South Carolina besides Radio
Shack that sold shortwave/scanner stuff........
Old December 12th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SC Dxing"

Now if I could find a radio shop here in South Carolina besides Radio
Shack that sold shortwave/scanner stuff........

I buy all my stuff on line.

Burr

Old December 12th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SC Dxing wrote:
After a week of owning the Grundig G6, so far the best antenna
arrangement for me is simply running a speaker wire along the ground
about 70 feet in my backyard. The Slinky antenna didn't work out well,
running a wire on the top of my house gave me more inference (plus
overloading), and the whip antenna isn't good on weaker signals. I've
heard that a CB antenna does well on the higher freqs on SW (15mhz and
above), if I can get one cheap, I'll try to hook that up on my roof.

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

Alpha Delta DX-B Half Sloper on 44' top-loaded steel mast.