Old December 19th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Old Radio Shack Catalogs

http://www.arrl.org/news/features/20...19/10513/?nc=1

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B
70' and 200' wires
I swear by, not at, Drake receivers.

And, as always, don't do business with The Huntington Investment Company.

Old December 19th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks, saw this on Glenn Hauser's newsletter last week

Direct link - it's a must see, especially for the pepper beard crowd

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/
Old December 21st 08, 08:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 19, 2:53*pm, SC Dxing wrote:
Thanks, saw this on Glenn Hauser's newsletter last week

- Direct link - it's a must see, especially for the pepper beard crowd
-
- http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

Anyone know when RadioShack STOPPED their Catalogs
in the USA ?

and didn't the RadioShacks in Canada still produce the
Catalogs for a few years thereafter ?

~ RHF
Old December 21st 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

On Dec 19, 2:53 pm, SC Dxing wrote:
Thanks, saw this on Glenn Hauser's newsletter last week

- Direct link - it's a must see, especially for the pepper beard crowd
-
- http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

Anyone know when RadioShack STOPPED their Catalogs
in the USA ?

The last one I have here is 2001, think they stopped sometime after that.

Old December 22nd 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"OM" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 03:13:33 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Anyone know when RadioShack STOPPED their Catalogs
in the USA ?

The last one I have here is 2001, think they stopped sometime after that.

...Last one published for public distribution, according to a buddy
who works for Tandy, was 2002, but that year was a reduced print run
and not all stores got them for some reason. All their cataloging is
now done online, but there is a limited release print version that
in-house only, and just contains part #s, brief descriptions where
necessary, and pricing. Many stores do not have them as they have to
be special requested by store management. None of the nice color ads
that made our panties wet over those grey plastic D-cell flashlights
they gave away for free every Chrisnukkah.

I'm in Canada... have a 2002. k35454.

Old December 23rd 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Bob Campbell" wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
Technology is technology.

But technology changes. Old stuff gets left behind.

SNIP

IBOC should be left behind.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 23rd 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
Technology is technology.

But technology changes. Old stuff gets left behind. Like dial phones, 8
track cartridges and film cameras. Digital cameras *completely* replaced
film cameras in what - 10 years? CDs replaced vinyl, tape ( in all forms -
8 track, cassette and reel) in about the same amount of time. Cell phones
have almost made home land line phones obsolete. They have certainly
killed public pay phones.

Radio is just as revalent as any of the other items you mention.

Yeah, that's why no one buys (or sells) radios these days, and fewer people
are listening. Meanwhile MP3 players are everywhere, and "podcasting" is
the new medium.

I would much rather have analog tv than the digital excuse that is
being shoved down our throats.

You are clearly in the minority with that. HD TV is so far beyond the old
standard that there is no comparison. Have you actually *seen* HDTV? I
have a 42" plasma and a 46" LCD. The old 525 line system looks like an
etch-a-sketch by comparison.

Cars would never replace horse and buggy either. No one needs a computer
in their home. Why would anyone want to carry a phone with them at all
times? Solid state audio systems will never sound as good as tubes. We
didn't know we were listening to "mono" until "stereo" came along. Why
should I buy a new radio for "FM" - AM is good enough. Digital audio
sucks, take a green magic marker and run it around the edge of your CDs to
restore that "analog sound". Who needs color TV? Who needs color movies?
Who needs movies with sound? Who wants to hear actors talk? Everything
that can be invented HAS been invented.

Etc. etc. You either keep up or you become an official "old fart" shaking
your cane at the young "whipper snappers".

I have a friend who seemed to think HDTV was some sort of "scam". I kept
asking him what the hell did he think was the "scam"? The much better
pic, the widescreen format, etc, and he never seemed to really want to
even admit the picture was better! Then he comes over, and I had CSI on,
and he sits there, and says, "What did you do to your TV, it looks so
much better than it did last time I was here!". I haven't touched it
since I stupidly paid to have it "calibrated". What a waste of money, a
couple clicks up or down in the menus from what I had done by my own
eyeballs. Anyone who sees my TV says, "Wow!", and it's only 720P.

--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster
Old December 23rd 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Campbell wrote:
"Barry" wrote in message
There are plenty of Radio Shack stores all over the world. They
just don't do the catalogs any longer.

Unfortunately, they don't do much Radio either.

No one does these days. Analog Radio is ancient technology. People
today want digital: computers, cameras, audio, TVs, cell phones.
Radios are in the same boat as party line dial phones, picture tube
non-HD TVs with rabbit ears, vinyl records, 8 track cartridges and
cameras that use film. IOW, quaint antiques.

When "digital radios" (wifi or wimax devices that "tune" digital
internet/satellite/whatever "radio stations") become a reality, "radios"
will sell again.

If you think about it, radio is the only consumer electronics item that
*hasn't* gone digital.

All radio is analog during the wireless phase.