Old December 23rd 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What's this? ...... No HD Radio!

Must be very depressing for you this Christmas Booble Struble. I went
to a very busy Best Buy yesterday. People everywhere. Products and
displays flashing here and there. Lots of technology in the air.
Sound and noise from every direction. But….. What’s this? NO HD
RADIO ANYWHERE. NOTHING. I looked high and I looked low but
nothing to be found! I finally found a salesperson and made an
inquiry. After pondering it for a minute (and looking very puzzled)
he took me over to the car radio department and showed me a radio with
a small tag that said HD Radio Ready. “Is this what you mean?” he
asked. I just smiled and said thank you.

Merry Xmas iBiquity – Hope 2009 brings the same success as 2008 did
for you.

By the way Bob, how’s the family? Say hello to your wife for me.
Old December 23rd 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
Must be very depressing for you this Christmas Booble Struble. I went
to a very busy Best Buy yesterday. People everywhere. Products and
displays flashing here and there. Lots of technology in the air.
Sound and noise from every direction. But….. What’s this? NO HD
RADIO ANYWHERE. NOTHING.

More to the point - were there ANY radios at all? How many AM/FM/CD
boomboxes? How many AM/FM/SW portables? How many MP3 players with at
least an FM tuner?

20 years ago there would have been a decent section of radios. 40 years
ago a very large section of radios. 60 years ago even small towns had
entire stores that sold only radios.

Now there *might* be a couple of shelves of pocket/headphone style radios,
and few boomboxes. See a pattern here?

Old December 23rd 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 23, 12:05 pm, "Bob Campbell" wrote:
wrote in message

Must be very depressing for you this Christmas Booble Struble. I went
to a very busy Best Buy yesterday. People everywhere. Products and
displays flashing here and there. Lots of technology in the air.
Sound and noise from every direction. But….. What’s this? NO HD
RADIO ANYWHERE. NOTHING.

More to the point - were there ANY radios at all? How many AM/FM/CD
boomboxes? How many AM/FM/SW portables? How many MP3 players with at
least an FM tuner?

20 years ago there would have been a decent section of radios. 40 years
ago a very large section of radios. 60 years ago even small towns had
entire stores that sold only radios.

Now there *might* be a couple of shelves of pocket/headphone style radios,
and few boomboxes. See a pattern here?

The point is HD radios were nowhere. Not integrated into any digital
product, Cell phone, iPod, BoomBox, MP3 player, SatRadio, nothing.
Much to Strubles dismay. Not even in car radios. Don't kill yourself
just yet though Struble. 2009 could be worse!

iBiquity, do you feel left out this Christmas?
Old December 23rd 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What's this? ...... No Radio!

wrote in message

The point is HD radios were nowhere.

The point is there are very few radios for sale these days. Period. HD
radio was a too little too late attempt to save radio from going the way of
the 8 track tape.

Radio is dying in spite of HD. There is simply very little interest in
either these days.

Old December 23rd 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 23, 12:36 pm, "Bob Campbell" wrote:
wrote in message

The point is HD radios were nowhere.

The point is there are very few radios for sale these days. Period. HD
radio was a too little too late attempt to save radio from going the way of
the 8 track tape.

Radio is dying in spite of HD. There is simply very little interest in
either these days.

Really? Does iBiquity know this? Struble, do you know anthing about
this?

Old December 23rd 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radio is dying in spite of HD. There is simply very little interest in
either these days.

Really? Does iBiquity know this? Struble, do you know anthing about
this?

More importantly, do the HD radio investors know this?
Old December 23rd 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message

Must be very depressing for you this Christmas Booble Struble. I went
to a very busy Best Buy yesterday. *People everywhere. *Products and
displays flashing here and there. *Lots of technology in the air.
Sound and noise from every direction. *But….. What’s this? *NO HD
RADIO ANYWHERE. * NOTHING.

More to the point - were there ANY radios at all? * *How many AM/FM/CD
boomboxes? * How many AM/FM/SW portables? * How many MP3 players with at
least an FM tuner?

20 years ago there would have been a decent section of radios. * 40 years
ago a very large section of radios. * 60 years ago even small towns had
entire stores that sold only radios.

Now there *might* be a couple of shelves of pocket/headphone style radios,
and few boomboxes. * See a pattern here?

VERY good point - Radio Shack is hardly a "radio shack", anymore. This
Crawford Broadcasting engineer said the same thing:

"Crawford Broadcasting: The Local Oscillator"

"Whatever happened to the big HD-R receiver rollout at Wal-Mart?...
This rollout has not happened in Western New York, and chances are,
not in your market either. In fact, recently while Christmas shopping
with my wife, I stopped in several national chain electronics
retailers inquiring about HD-R receivers. Of the three I checked,
Circuit City, Best Buy and Radio Shack, only one had an HD receiver in
stock, and it was not even displayed along with all of the other
receivers offered for sale. First off, I think that Ibiquity has done
a poor job of educating the public on this medium. In just about all
of the nationally distributed magazines, you will find advertisements
for Sirius/XM radio subscriptions on a continuing basis, but none for
HD-R... Someone has to pick up the ball and get the public educated
and interested in HD-R, or 1,797 stations have made a very poor
investment into the future of radio."

http://tinyurl.com/927svj

Eduardo - do you have anything to add?
Old December 23rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message

[...]

iBiquity, do you feel *left out this Christmas?- Hide quoted text -

The car radios are going to just "HD Ready" from "HD":

"Is HD Radio going to be killed by manufacturers' desire to keep it a
premium-priced upgrade?"

"I just embarked on my twice-per-year online shopping trip to see if
it's time to upgrade my car stereo to HD. Saw a sudden shift to car
radios now being 'HD-Ready' instead of HD for a number of radios. This
appears to require the purchase and professional installation of a
separate, compatible unit. Anyone know why this appears to be a sudden
new direction and what this might mean for the future of HD radio?"

http://tinyurl.com/6rbj7y

Eduardo - do you have anything to add?
Old December 24th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
Pretty large selection of radios at our PX (and those in Seoul, Osan).

Well that is not the U.S., is it? I was talking about the U.S. Lots of
countries where radio is still viable.

boxes, portables, personals, bookshelf models, even home stereos. And the
ubiquitous i-schlock, some with FM tuners, some without. It IS getting
disgusting to see how most portable and small home stuff is being built
around the i-Schlock.. hell, even 50" Plasma TV's have i-Schlock docking

WTF is i-schlock?

Old December 24th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bob Campbell" wrote in message
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
Pretty large selection of radios at our PX (and those in Seoul, Osan).

Well that is not the U.S., is it? I was talking about the U.S. Lots
of countries where radio is still viable.

Actually, it is... since the only radio any GI listens to is Armed Forces
Network. Local radio and television are non-starters here (at least the
local TV is NTSC-M, American channelization, so if we wanted to we COULD
watch it!!) There's no OTA HD, no QRM producing IBOC..