Old February 15th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Which is faster, text or Morse Code?

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=255879
cuhulin

Old February 16th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Most morse on shortwave is computer generated and computer received
these days. Once in a while, I'll hear someone actually keying but
it's getting more rare.

But really good video, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that.

Old February 17th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Disagree. I made a living at one time listening to morse code (with
the Dept of Defense) at one time and nearly all of this is computer
generated morse. You can tell the difference between hand keyed and
electronic morse. Electronic morse sounds "too perfect". Nearly all
the stuff I hear from here is computer generated, with a few
exceptions.

In fact, going by regions of the world, hand keyers even would use an
accent, much like spoken language. I used to copy both Iraqi and
Iranian morse during their war and within 2 sets of 5 characters, you
would tell who was who just by the hand keying accent of the morse
without even knowing the target.
Old February 17th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

No, you've got no idea what you are talking about. I am seriously into
CW...have been for 40 years and computer generated junk only plagues the
bands about 1 % of the time, probably more when the contest idiots are on
there exchanging their meaningless signal reports and drivel.

Old February 17th 09, 07:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SX-25 wrote:
No, you've got no idea what you are talking about. I am seriously into
CW...have been for 40 years and computer generated junk only plagues the
bands about 1 % of the time, probably more when the contest idiots are on
there exchanging their meaningless signal reports and drivel.

That's because the digital stuff (except for PSK31) is in the high end of
the band, and CW is in the low end. For example, on 40m, the CW tends
to be around 7.025 mHz, while the digital tends to be at 7.070 to 7.100
mHz, right in the middle of the audio portion of the band on this side of
the world.

We have some hope in a few years, because although we can legally use 7.100
to 7.200 mHz, if there is any propigation at all it's filled with s-meter
pegging SWBC stations. The SWBC is supposed to leave, but that remains to be
seen.

In the US, it's all the 40m CW band, so it looks the same to you, but how
often do you work CW at 7.070 up?

Geoff.

Old February 17th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
SX-25 wrote:
[...]

I do psk31 on 7.070, except during contests. The 41m SWBC isn't so bad
here on the West Coast.
Old February 18th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It is pretty apparent that most of you who have replied to this thread don't
have a clue when it comes to
Morse transmissions.

Without my wasting a lot of time, very little amateur radio CW is sent using
a straight key; generally that
is something only beginners or those with little code expertise use. The
"straight key" CW that one respondent was hearing on CB....huh? Is he also
hearing other voices in his head?

As for the digital modes, PSK etc...they have long populated the upper
portions of the CW bands, even after the FCC and the
arrl chopped it up. Compared to the remainder of the band there is very
little digital going on either. I know because I too have
a digital converter for listening to more interesting things than hams
essentially sending emails to each other. And the activity just tain't thar,
cowboy! The similarity between digital hamming and just sending email is the
reason that digital is not a raging wildfire as some of you would like to
think (probably because you rushed out and wasted good money on the gadgetry
that appeals to beginners. So you actually BELIEVE the hype you read in
those ads?

If you tune 80 meters any night you hear mostly bug and electronically sent
CW...not computer generated CW, which is interesting because CW Morse is
actually a digital mode in and of itself although the techno types don't
wish to admit it.

It will also irritate you anti-CW types (who I am sure are behind most of
the comments on this thread) to learn that the US NAVY has reinstituted
training in CW. And the MARS radio system just last month announced it was
re-establishing CW traffic nets.

Smokey

Old February 18th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The fastest are those affairs G.W.Bush was secertly having with Condi.
www.globemagazine.com/archives

Angry Laura Quizzes Condi

I was standing in the checkout line at the Gestapo Wal Mart store this
afternoon.I read all about it in the Globe tabloid.

I have known for years G.W.Bush and Condi were having sekert affairs.

Love is an Affair of the Heart.
cuhulin