Old April 18th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Service manual needed

I think this one may qualify as "Antique" even though it's transistor. I'm
finding it impossible to find a service manual for it. I tried Sams first,
and then Googled the hell out of it. It's not that rare a radio; some of
you may have one or worked on one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/USED/u910lrg.jpg

Any hints on where I could find the service manual? Was this same radio
made under another name? It looks a little like a Channel Mast 6248, but
they are decidedly different. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Old April 18th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
I think this one may qualify as "Antique" even though it's transistor.
I'm finding it impossible to find a service manual for it. I tried Sams
first, and then Googled the hell out of it. It's not that rare a radio;
some of you may have one or worked on one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/USED/u910lrg.jpg

Any hints on where I could find the service manual? Was this same radio
made under another name? It looks a little like a Channel Mast 6248, but
they are decidedly different. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Hope you find something. The problem is, it's Lloyd's, and not a big seller.
All their radios came with their own "manual", which consisted of a tiny
schematic glued to the inside of the back cover.

Old April 18th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
I think this one may qualify as "Antique" even though it's transistor. I'm
finding it impossible to find a service manual for it. I tried Sams
first, and then Googled the hell out of it. It's not that rare a radio;
some of you may have one or worked on one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/USED/u910lrg.jpg

Any hints on where I could find the service manual? Was this same radio
made under another name? It looks a little like a Channel Mast 6248, but
they are decidedly different. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Hope you find something. The problem is, it's Lloyd's, and not a big
seller. All their radios came with their own "manual", which consisted of
a tiny schematic glued to the inside of the back cover.

Wasn't there some kind of rule in the sixty's that all imported radios had
to have a schematic?
The Japanese stuck a postage sized schematic on the unit, there usually was
no other documentation.

Tom

Old April 18th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Hope you find something. The problem is, it's Lloyd's, and not a big
seller. All their radios came with their own "manual", which consisted of
a tiny schematic glued to the inside of the back cover.

This one doesn't even have that. I really just need the alignment info.
It's
easy to figure out on an old single-band AA5, but these multiband transistor
sets are difficult enough even with the manual.

Old April 18th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

"Tom Biasi" wrote in message

Hope you find something. The problem is, it's Lloyd's, and not a big
seller. All their radios came with their own "manual", which consisted of
a tiny schematic glued to the inside of the back cover.

Wasn't there some kind of rule in the sixty's that all imported radios had
to have a schematic?
The Japanese stuck a postage sized schematic on the unit, there usually
was no other documentation.

Tom

That's most likely true. There were a lot of import rules back then.
Lloyd's made some pretty good radios (and some pretty bad ones). In my
experience, their AM only radios with the TRF stage were right up there with
the Channel Master and Sony radios of the same type for reception, but they
weren't quite up to the latter's audio quality. I suspect this particular
radio probably wasn't too bad on the AM and SW bands, but I've yet to see
one of these types that was worth spit on the VHF bands.

Old April 18th 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:05:00 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

I think this one may qualify as "Antique" even though it's transistor. I'm
finding it impossible to find a service manual for it. I tried Sams first,
and then Googled the hell out of it. It's not that rare a radio; some of
you may have one or worked on one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/USED/u910lrg.jpg

Any hints on where I could find the service manual? Was this same radio
made under another name? It looks a little like a Channel Mast 6248, but
they are decidedly different. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

I can't offer any assistance - but your post brought back memories as
this was my first shortwave radio.

Old April 18th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have three old Channel Master radios and at least one or two old
Lloyds radios.I doubt if they have a schematic you are looking for.Yep,
I bought them cheap at thrift stores years and years ago.
www.shopgoodwill.com
Visit your local friendly thrift stores.You never know what you might
find up in there.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 09, 12:17 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

That's most likely true. There were a lot of import rules back then.
Lloyd's made some pretty good radios (and some pretty bad ones). In my
experience, their AM only radios with the TRF stage were right up there
with the Channel Master and Sony radios of the same type for reception,
but they weren't quite up to the latter's audio quality. I suspect this
particular radio probably wasn't too bad on the AM and SW bands, but I've
yet to see one of these types that was worth spit on the VHF bands.

This is a pretty good radio. Even without an alignment, it's performs very
well. And the build quality is abot as good as it got for that era. It
reminds me of a Panasonic RF-5000 in that regard.

Old April 18th 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

Unrevealed Source wrote:
I think this one may qualify as "Antique" even though it's transistor. I'm
finding it impossible to find a service manual for it. I tried Sams first,
and then Googled the hell out of it. It's not that rare a radio; some of
you may have one or worked on one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/USED/u910lrg.jpg

Any hints on where I could find the service manual? Was this same radio
made under another name? It looks a little like a Channel Mast 6248, but
they are decidedly different. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Do you have an oscilloscope? Another radio?