Old July 30th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 'Impeach' & 'Deport Obama' bumper stickers HERE

Some people were born in Airplanes over foreign countries or
international waters.If their parents were Americans, they are natural
born citizens of America.
cuhulin

Old July 30th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 30, 10:22*am, wrote:
Some people were born in Airplanes over foreign countries or
international waters.If their parents were Americans, they are natural
born citizens of America.
cuhulin

So, if Obama's mother was a US citizen, why do you keep posting links
to sources suggesting Obama is not a bona fide US citizen? Consistency
must not mean much in Mississippi.

Mike
Louisville, KY
Old July 30th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Consistency means a lot in Mississippi.I spent two months in Kentucky
(Fort Knox) in 1963 when I was in the Army.I know for some Kentuckians
Consistency means a lot to them too.

Captain Kyunkendahl (spelling) said, Y'all get the hell out of here and
go to the hospital! (Ireland Army Hospital) What it was, a guy in our
ammo school class, the guy's wife was fixin to have a brand new shiney
ass baby and he didn't have a car.I took him to the hospital in my
car.Now, that's Consistency!
cuhulin

Old July 30th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe from Kokomo wrote:
For the sake of this discussion, even if he was physically born in
Kenya (or Timbuktu or where ever), he would be an American citizen
by virtue of his mother being a citizen -- and nobody is
questioning her citizenship.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Nope, the constituion says "natural born citizen", which has been
interpreted as being on US soil.

Interesting.

So you are saying that if a pregnant American citizen, for whatever
reason (vacation, airline attendant), gives birth overseas, that her
child would never be able to be president? Just because the mother
happened to be on vacation?

Is this an "interpretation" of the law or an actual law? If an
"interpretation" (opinion), is this opinion treated as being
cast-in-concrete, and as carrying the same weight of a hard and fast
actual law?

Actual (and factual) citation please, if you have it.

Ted Kennedy and FDR Junior were both born in Canada, which is why
they never ran for president.

Even a cursory search of several web sites shows that Ted Kennedy was
born in Massachusetts. Pardon me for saying so, but this seems to put
somewhat of a dent in your credibility. Possibly Ted, with two brothers
having been assassinated, saw the handwriting on the wall and didn't run
for that reason (or for Chappaquiddick), but certainly NOT for "being
born in Canada". Also, maybe FDR Jr. just didn't want to run for any
number of reasons.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is a "naturalized" citizen which means he can't run...

Thank you for pointing it out, but I am fully aware of the implications
and meaning of "naturalized".

Again, a citation please for a child being born out of the country to an
American citizen.

Joe
Old July 30th 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 30, 2:30*pm, Joe from Kokomo wrote:
So you are saying that if a pregnant American citizen, for whatever
reason (vacation, airline attendant), gives birth overseas, that her
child would never be able to be president? Just because the mother
happened to be on vacation?

Is this an "interpretation" of the law or an actual law? If an
"interpretation" (opinion), is this opinion treated as being
cast-in-concrete, and as carrying the same weight of a hard and fast
actual law?

I have heard some commentators claim that the US Supreme Court has
never ruled "ex cathedris" on the relevant definition of a "natural
born citizen". However, I seem to recall that most, if not all, of
the justices were present at Barack Obabm's inauguration and Chief
Justice John Roberts administered the oath of office, so they probably
accepted his constitutional eligibility to be President.

Ted Kennedy and FDR Junior were both born in Canada, which is why
they never ran for president.

Even a cursory search of several web sites shows that Ted Kennedy was
born in Massachusetts. Pardon me for saying so, but this seems to put
somewhat of a dent in your credibility. Possibly Ted, with two brothers
having been assassinated, saw the handwriting on the wall and didn't run
for that reason (or for Chappaquiddick), but certainly NOT for "being
born in Canada". Also, maybe FDR Jr. just didn't want to run for any
number of reasons.

The birthers will never be satisifed. They will probably tell you
that all of the evidnece has been fabricated, that the birth
certificate is a forgery, etc. They probably do not accept that the
People's Republic of Massachusetts is a part of the United States.

Again, a citation please for a child being born out of the country to an
American citizen.

Nobody seriously challenged George Romney's eligibility, even though
he was born in Mexico to parents who had chosen to abandon the United
States and emigrate to a foreign country. I would not be surprised to
hear that they had also renounced their American citizenship.

A law passed in the 1950s probably could not have conferred "natural
born citizen" status on John McCain because that would be "ex post
facto".

Old July 31st 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 30, 10:22 am, wrote:
Some people were born in Airplanes over foreign countries or
international waters.If their parents were Americans, they are natural
born citizens of America.
cuhulin

This was true even if the plane were a US carrier and had not yet landed in
a foreign airport.

Old July 31st 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Nope, the constituion says "natural born citizen", which has been
interpreted as being on US soil.

Interesting.

So you are saying that if a pregnant American citizen, for whatever
reason (vacation, airline attendant), gives birth overseas, that her
child would never be able to be president? Just because the mother
happened to be on vacation?

Is this an "interpretation" of the law or an actual law? If an
"interpretation" (opinion), is this opinion treated as being
cast-in-concrete, and as carrying the same weight of a hard and fast
actual law?

Natural born, by law, has nominally meant born of US parents (or parent, as
long as paternity/maternity has been established by the age of majority).
This includes children born of US parent(s) overseas.

Old July 31st 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Jul 30, 2:30 pm, Joe from Kokomo wrote:
A law passed in the 1950s probably could not have conferred "natural
born citizen" status on John McCain because that would be "ex post
facto".

Ex Post Facto only applies if something (a liberty interest, etc.) is to be
taken away. Otherwise, most laws are applied retroactively.

Old July 31st 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 30, 4:38*pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
Ex Post Facto only applies if something (a liberty interest, etc.) is to be
taken away.

That is not what my high school civics teacher said, but she was not a
constitutional lawyer, and neither anm I. The statement in the US
Constitution is very short and simple (I would think it is hard to
misinterpret, but logic does not necessarily apply to the
interpretation of the law.)

Otherwise, most laws are applied retroactively.

That is not the way I remember the events reported in the news.
Old July 31st 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Jul 30, 4:38 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
Ex Post Facto only applies if something (a liberty interest, etc.) is to
be
taken away.

That is not what my high school civics teacher said, but she was not a
constitutional lawyer, and neither anm I. The statement in the US
Constitution is very short and simple (I would think it is hard to
misinterpret, but logic does not necessarily apply to the
interpretation of the law.)

Otherwise, most laws are applied retroactively.

That is not the way I remember the events reported in the news.

Besides all that, the ex post facto clause has been totally ignored by
SCOTUS for at least the past two decades anyway. They've been ruling on the
basis of vox populi in many instances.