Old August 4th 09, 12:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Introducing the Sangean ATS909 - Anyone Got It?!

Hey Guys,

Was just browsing the online stores and noticed this little beauty.
Currently on sale at only $250 on one site and looking at the features
it looks like quite a bargain. Now, I have been told from a guy at my
local electronics outlet that this particular Sangean unit works
beautifully with external antennas. Furthermore, as well as having a
significant number of memory pages, the unit also possesses tremendous
medium-wave performance, which is something that IS very high on my
'must have' list. Considering this unit has much better coverage than
the Kaitos, I think for a beginner such as myself, it is going to give
me fewer problems in terms of getting used to it, with another
advantage being the supplied longwire which is FREE with the unit.

So after much consideration, I have whittled the choice down to 2 -
those being this Sangean or the beautiful looking Grundig G6 Aviator
(Special Buzz Aldrin Edition). Is gonna be A very tough choice to
settle on just the one!

Kind regards,
Brian Anasta

Old August 4th 09, 01:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://kiwa.com/ATS909.html
Old August 4th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 4, 7:03*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
[...]

Hello Brian:
I own a Sangean 909, and it is very wellbuilt as well as being easy to
use once you get used to it. Lots of memories which you can change as
you wish.
There are some caveats, however. The radio is pretty deaf using only
the whip antenna. A reel antenna (supplied) helps a lot, but an
outside long wire is even better, as the dynamic range of the receiver
allows for a much 'beefier' antenna.
Also the AM broadcast band is just so-so on my unit, while FM
reception is very good, and has RDS (station name, tune name etc. if
station uses this feature).
I had a 'Buzz Aldrin' G6 but took it back as there was heavy bleed
through on SW from a nearby (3 miles) AM station. Got a Grundig G5
which does not have this problem and is a very nice RX, again with
lots of memories (700). Again, however, I would now buy, instead, the
Grundig G3, now available from Universal Radio and likely other
dealers. Again, 700 memories and Sync detection using SSB, a nice
feature to reduce fading and interference. Don't know yet how this
features works in actual use (new radio), so it will be intersting to
see.
My main RX is a Grundig Satellit 750, a real nice receiver, but a bit
pricey at $299
and my antenna a Hustler 5BTV vertical ground mounted. Radio has Tons
of memories, but no Sync detector. I'm very happy with it. It is
fairly large as a portable,butr I use it as a desktop. Good carry
handle, too.
Good luck with your choice of receiver, and
Good Listening from SW4ever...

Old August 5th 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

Brian the 909 also goes by the name of the Radio
Shack DX-398, that is where I got mine. I had a
hundred dollar credit from the store and then they
sent me a "gift certificate" for my birthday.

Between that and a couple small birthday gift
monies I purchased the 909/398 from the shack.

I was never so dissapointed in a purchase as I was
with that. I knew after a month or so either I was going to return it
or send it off to Radio Labs and that
is what I did.

I absolutely could not believe the difference in that
radio once they did their mods, the different filters
made it a "real" receiver and one that could be used
for UTES and other sideband listening.

They put a speaker in it that just blew away the stock speaker and
added another external antenna
jack. They modded the RF gain and there were some other mods they
included in their package, plus changing the LCD to a real nice indigo
blue.

Too bad all that wasn't done to the piece to begin
with straight from the factory, if it would have, it'd have been a
great receiver, but stock....nah baby
nah. I keep that radio now in my pelican case along
with my rung of wire and headphones/batteries in
my BOB (Bug Out Bag).

Old August 5th 09, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 5, 8:34 pm, Bushcraftgregg wrote:

Brian the 909 also goes by the name of the Radio
Shack DX-398, that is where I got mine. I had a
hundred dollar credit from the store and then they
sent me a "gift certificate" for my birthday.

I was never so dissapointed in a purchase as I was
with that. I knew after a month or so either I was going to return it
or send it off to Radio Labs and that
is what I did.

I absolutely could not believe the difference in that
radio once they did their mods, the different filters
made it a "real" receiver and one that could be used
for UTES and other sideband listening.

Dear Bushcraftgregg,

Thank you so much for your post, particularly your advice regarding
the 909. Greg I had pretty much decided on getting the 909 over the
next day or so, but after reading your post, I am now more than a
little hesitant. The problem is, being very new to the hobby, I am
somewhat reluctant to have to get any modifications done to a new unit
just off the shelf. Firstly, I would not know where to start in terms
of the kinds of mods I would need to get (although you have kindly
mentioned the mods on yours, such as the RF gain, filters and external
antenna jack etc). Secondly, I guess I don't really want to have to
wait any longer to get my new unit out of the package and into action.
Therefore I just really want to buy a unit where I can get on the
airwaves almost immediately.

After reading through your post again Gregg, and looking at some
further reviews which DO back up what you have said, I have decided to
instead go for the Grundid G6 Aviator. It has received mostly positive
reviews, and it really is a beautiful looking little unit to look at
(the Buzz Aldrin special edition). Not my first preference, but after
weighing up my options, I have decided to go for the Grundig instead.
If you have any experience with this Grundig unit Bushcraftgregg, or
can offer me any advice or guidance about its performance etc, I would
be very much grateful to you.

Well sorry for the long-winded post. Have a lovely evening mate and
bye for now.

Kind regards,
Brian

Old August 5th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 5, 7:27*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
[...]

I have no idea about the Grundig, but know that you can purchase this
909/398 straight from RadioLabs
with the mods already done along with a satisfaction
guarantee.

Here is the link for their website, and like I said, the
difference was day and night.
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s/super909.php
Old August 5th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 5, 11:27*pm, Brian Anasta wrote:

[...]

****** Brian old bean. What happened to the birdwatching and the
knifemaking hobbies that you were also so "interested" in?

Has the lovely Ning put them on hold or has your good wife Mary and
son Jason come back into your life?

I am amazed to see that Bushy Greg has fallen for your line but like
so many others before him they all get sucked in for a while and then
it dawns on them they've been taken in by what I reckon to be the
finest troll on the usenet.

Greg may want to check out your history particularly the bit where you
tried to "take over" SCT with your elected committee.
That was a hoot.

Old August 6th 09, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 5, 5:11*pm, LarbGai wrote:
[...]

That was a hoot.- Hide quoted text -

I'm watching Larb, I've seen his posts before, trust me on that. ;-)

Old August 6th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 5, 5:49*am, Bushcraftgregg wrote:
[...]

difference was day and night.http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re.../super909.php- Hide quoted text -

Ditto here - I did this with the DX-398 (the RS clone of the Sangean)
and it's a real pip. Excellent unit.

Bruce Jensen
Old August 7th 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
~ RHF wrote:
On Aug 4, 4:03*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
[...]

BA,

Save a $100 and check-out the Grundig G3 "Globe
Traveler" LW/AM/FM/SW Radio with AM Sync
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...able/4033.html

Initial reviews of this set are _not_ encouraging; especially the
performance of the synchronous detector.

Actually, if I wanted something small for MWDX right now I'd go for the
Tecsun PL-300wt/Grundig G8 ... or, even newer, the Kchibo D96L which has
multiple selectable synthesized IF bandwidths in a $50 radio. The
performance of both of these portables on FM is even better; bordering on
the extraordinary.

Sangean ATS909 question Me Shortwave 3 September 28th 05 12:09 AM
1103 vs Sangean ATS909 GP Shortwave 3 September 1st 05 01:10 AM
FS:SANGEAN ATS909 AM/FM/SW/SSB RADIO Ronny Julian Swap 0 October 30th 04 01:44 PM
FS : SANGEAN ATS909 AM/FM/SW/SSB RADIO W/ DELUXE MODS Dan Conti Swap 0 October 30th 04 02:26 AM
Sangean ATS909 comments? Mike Mauch Shortwave 10 February 24th 04 07:52 AM