Old August 16th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Looking for Noise Source

I have a Drake SW8. Other than this I've never had any problems with this
receiver. With the whip selected or the external (with the antenna plugged
in) selected, I get an annoying pulse noise (about every 1/2 second) over
the speaker. If I select the external antenna and the antenna is not
plugged in, there is no noise. Plug the antenna in and the pulses start.
It only happens on the shortwave bands. I've turned off the computer,
router, powerline ethernet connection, etc with no results. The only thing
I haven't secured is the cordless phones but they've never caused problems
before. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx.

Old August 17th 09, 01:23 AM
Senior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL[_2_] View Post
I have a Drake SW8. Other than this I've never had any problems with this
receiver. With the whip selected or the external (with the antenna plugged
in) selected, I get an annoying pulse noise (about every 1/2 second) over
the speaker. If I select the external antenna and the antenna is not
plugged in, there is no noise. Plug the antenna in and the pulses start.
It only happens on the shortwave bands. I've turned off the computer,
router, powerline ethernet connection, etc with no results. The only thing
I haven't secured is the cordless phones but they've never caused problems
before. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx.
Have you tried shutting off breakers,one by one? Maybe process of elimination would find the source of your noise?
Just an idea.
N9ZAS
Old August 17th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Not saying it is your problem but I had a Panasonic cordless phone that
would cause the same symptom you are mentioning whenever it was plugged in
and charging. Got rid of it and everythings fine since then except for the
one security cam that has to be shut down during listening times. Some of
those chargers are notorious noise makers. 'Hope this solves your problem.
news:0qednWIvhvBPHBXXnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...

Old August 17th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 8/16/09 17:01 , TL wrote:
I have a Drake SW8. Other than this I've never had any problems with
this receiver. With the whip selected or the external (with the antenna
plugged in) selected, I get an annoying pulse noise (about every 1/2
second) over the speaker. If I select the external antenna and the
antenna is not plugged in, there is no noise. Plug the antenna in and
the pulses start. It only happens on the shortwave bands. I've turned
off the computer, router, powerline ethernet connection, etc with no
results. The only thing I haven't secured is the cordless phones but
they've never caused problems before. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thx.

A multi-line phone will do this.

It may also be an appliance in a neighbor's house, since most
neighborhoods are wired with two or three homes on a transformer.

Old August 23rd 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

TL wrote:

Interesting. The source WAS/IS the powerline ethernet connection afterall.
When I unplugged everything before, I didn't unplug both ends of the PEC.
When I did, voila!!

Happy to hear that you found it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 23rd 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 8/22/09 20:12 , Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
news:V9mdnayCAp71DA3XnZ2dnUVZ_rGdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
Interesting. The source WAS/IS the powerline ethernet connection
afterall. When I unplugged everything before, I didn't unplug both
ends of
the PEC. When I did, voila!!
--

Ain't BPL wonderful? Just another way to trash the bands with garbage
that

What's even more interesting, is that we're about the only one's
endorsing the use of BPL. Other nations that have tried it have skated
as far as they can from it, for precisely the reason you stated.

?

The UK is going ahead with it.