Old September 25th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question regarding ICF-SW100 repair

Hi,

I'm trying to repair an ICF-SW100 SW radio: both of its flexible pcbs
are broken.

Sony's repair set includes these flexible pcbs, a new front part for
the lid housing, and a vinyl flexible cable protector with an
adhesive stripe:

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/12b4-4c-jpg.html

(The side length of the squares is 0.2 inches.)

Unfortunately there's no description where to mount/fasten this cable
protector. Can somebody here help me? That would be great!

TIA

Reinhard
Old September 26th 09, 09:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Justis schrieb:

Would the Service Manual be of help? Upload about 7.5 meg. ..........

Hello,

Many thanks for your offer but I'm afraid it won't except it's a new
version. I already have such a manual (7.67 MB, "Ver. 1.1 2005.11",
52 pages). In the upper right corner of the exploded view

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/12b4-4f-jpg.html

one can find a part (#45, "PLATE, BLIND") resembling the part which
can be seen on my photo, but still: where to fasten/mount?

Greetings

Reinhard

Old September 26th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From the looks of the diagram of exploded parts and information below, it
seems that part #45 would be laid over the cable at the point where the
clearance problem was cutting the ribbon.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DG

?

Why it happens

The edge of the plastic at the point on the lid module where the ribbon
cables exit is very sharp. In a test, it functioned as an efficient wire
cutter for 30-gauge bare copper wire. When the lid is closed, the inner
("Key") ribbon cable is pulled taut and makes a bend of over 90 degrees with
a bending radius of, essentially, zero.

Copper does not forgive this sort of insult. Over time, the key ribbon cable
will develop breaks in the copper conductors, which will cause various keys
on the keyboard to stop working, including the on/off switch. The Signal
ribbon cable may also develop problems -- I have observed this in one case
so far.

?

From Eham.net: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1309

Last year I found out that SONY has a complete repair/mod kit to fix the
ribbon cable problem. Includes a new top cover, ribbon cables and such that
solve the clearance probleme that was cutting the ribbon. Works great now.

FIX:

Bottom of page: If you have to fix yours yourself, be sure to make the slots
that the cable fits thru bigger and add a piece of masking tape around the
cables where they pass thru the slots so it doesn't happen a second time.

?

sony: ICF-SW100 (ICFSW100); typical failure

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/son...l_failure.html

Early production samples of this radio tend to fail, a copper ribbon cable
connecting the lower and the upper part of the radio will be bent
repetitively over a very sharp edge of the lid. After a while, the copper
ribbon cable connections are likely to break, some of the keys will become
inoperational, sometimes this will happen even to the on/off - button.
Rarely the signal ribbon cable will brake.

You might recognize the early ICF-SW100 sets by the copper connector, that
can bee seen in the gap, in later models produced after autumn 1997, You see
a black plastic cover over the connector and the lid mould has been changed.

You might try to repair Your set using a file to dull the sharp plastic
edges where the connector will have to get past. There has been a Sony
repair kit for these early models with a different lid mould.

Old September 26th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Old September 27th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:

[...]
Unfortunately there's no description where to mount/fasten this cable
protector. ...

Hi all

I think I found out :-)!

As can be seen in the exploded view

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/12b4-4h-jpg.html

the foil has to be put through the slot for the flexible pcbs (green
arrow); the adhesive stripe (light blue, of course on the underside
of the foil) has to be fastened where the red line is drawn. In this
way the foil prevents that the flexible pcbs can be seen when the
lid is open.

Thanks for your help!

Bye

Reinhard