Old October 10th 09, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default First listening, couple questions

Hello...

Well, my AN-LP1 arrived from Japan, and I hooked it up to the G5 and
hung the antenna in the window for a first listen to short wave. I
clearly makes a big difference, Radio Havana was noisy, but became
crystal clear when I switched the antenna on. Clearly at different
times of the day, there are more or less stations detected.

I enjoyed listening to the news from some other country. This is why I
am trying short wave. However, even Radio Havana, which seemed to be
coming in pretty well, would wax and wave in loudness and reception
clarity. I can live with this, but it would be much more desirable for
this not to happen. Are there countermeasures one can take, technology
one can buy, etc.?

I have not tried SSB on the G5 but will tonight (I saw there is a
section in the G5 manual on it, haven't got there yet). Will this
help?

If I had the Sony SW7600GR, which I am probably going to get just for
comparison, would the synchronous detection solve this problem?

Thanks.....

Jim

PS .. I tried to post this earlier, thought I did. Pardon me if this
shows up twice...

Old October 12th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There are several types of fading. HF being what it is, not line-of-site
limited and often using sky wave as well as ground wave propagation, there
are going to be several fading modes. The "selective fading" that has been
described in other responses can be minimized by selection of the proper
equipment, but no one antenna and radio can really negate it, a true
diversity reception technique generally requires two antennas and two
detectors, the two detectors can be built into one piece of hardware or may
be totally separate pieces but the two antennas must be physically separate

So features like Synchronous AM (SAM) are desirable in a SW radio, but will
not completely eliminate fading, not even completely eliminate selective
fading.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9209qex009.pdf

Other types of fading include Faraday Rotation resulting in changes of
polarity in the incoming RF wave. Portables, with their short receive
antennas, actually have a slight theoretical advantage over stations using a
large antenna in this realm. Unfortunately, the reduced capture area and
efficiency of the small whip more than negates the advantage in actual use.

In short, no radio will eliminate fading in the SW spectrum. However, the
selection of a radio with the right features and a good antenna can greatly
reduce the effects.

Also, when selecting a radio look for true LSB and USB modes, models that
feature "SSB" often just use a variable BFO to allow SSB reception
(typically a single selection that says simply SSB instead of calling out
LSB and USB). This can make determining the exact frequency and mode of a
SSB signal problematic, particularly to the newer user. The tuned frequency
for an SW broadcast station is less of an issue, they typically fall on a 5
or 10 kHz spacing, so the display being 1 or 2 kHz off (possible to do with
most variable BFO schemes) does not matter all that much, the signal will
most often still be in the passband and you can peak the signal as needed.
But clandestine BC transmissions, utilities, military, numbers stations,
etc, tend to be less channelized and lower power, knowing the real tuned
frequency is more important here.

One thing to consider, when you are talking about spending $400 or more on a
portable you are now getting into the cost realm of potentially better
radios. Desktops in the form of the Icom R75 are only a little over this
mark, possibly at it if you choose lightly used. Radios like the Ten-Tec
RX-320D and the RFSpace SDR-IQ are right there (but both require a computer
to work). Unless you just want a portable (and there is nothing wrong with
that) you might consider other options.

Right now, if you do not mind having to have it connected to a computer, the
RFSpace SDR-IQ (at $500) is probably the best bang-for-the-buck you can get
for under $750, maybe even push that up to $1000. Like everything else,
TANSTAAFL, it has its limitations, in this case imaging issues when around
high power stations, particularly above 15 MHz. As I have no AM BC stations
within many miles of me I have not seen the issue, but I have talked with
users that have. Some have had to install bandstop or high pass filters to
address the issue. Still, most portables have similar issues.

C!