Old November 22nd 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Will SW radios become obsolete?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

Nah, always something of interest out there.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 22nd 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/22/09 11:23 , Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

TMT

The big guns have all abandoned SW to developed countries. BBC
still broadcasts to africa. DW, RNW and the others have moved to
satellite and internet distribution.

But as politics in the world heat up, SW will become an
important element of communcations again once tensions reach the
point where walls start going up. Internet streams can be censored.
Satellite radio can be shut off. That leaves terrestrial radio.
500,000 watts can't stopped at national boarders.

The Cold War was the reason for the pervasion of SW broadcasts.
Of course, there were jamming attempts. Some more successful than
others. But, the messages got where they were intended through radio
beamed in from out of country.

The technology isn't dead. It may be dormant, now. But it's not
dead. And when communications are down, Radio is one of the few
technologies that can be brought to bear quickly, and competently.
With organized traffic nets in every state.

So, no, SW radios are not obsolete. Nor will they be for some
years, yet.

Old November 22nd 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 22, 11:51*am, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
[...]

Good comments.

Do you think frequencies will be reallotted for other purposes?

Unused spectrum is valuable in today's wireless world.

TMT
Old November 22nd 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Shortwave Radio and Ham Radio and even CB Radio will Always be useful.

Heh, I had to come down out of my attic for a while, it's dusty up
there, especially working my broom up there! also to take doggy out in
the front yard (she took a poop and a pee) and breathe some fresh Air.

Heh, Bait Car is on the tru TV channel right now, is GOOD! Those car
jackers in California are working overtime, according to a CHP Officer
on Bait Car.
cuhulin

Old November 22nd 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/22/09 12:18 , Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Nov 22, 11:51 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

On HF...maybe. But probably not as much as you think. A lot of
digital services can be squeezed into a handful of channels. About
10 years ago, I looked at a QEI Quick Link for my remote broadcast
business. A digital site-to-studio link that was frequency agile
over 12 channels, and used a number of different pn codes to
digitally encode the audio on the transmit end, and then decode it
on the receive end. I may have the numbers wrong on that, it has
been a decade or more. But the point was that the audio was clean,
reasonably secure.

When I asked about intereference, the rep showed me the results
of a test that had 20 or so of these devices all
transmitting/receiving on the same channel with different pn codes,
and non could see any of the others.

Where digital will be the mode of choice, spectrum space will be
less of an issue. Meaning that a few channels here and there could
be reallocated to digital modes, without significantly crowding
remaining spectra while still accomodating a large number of users.

And DRM is still in use in some broadcast bands by SW broadcasters.

Old November 22nd 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In the US we have all been duped into belief that anything that is not the
latest thing is obsolete. Meanwhile, just in the last year, numerous other
countries have initiated and/or expanded their shortwave coverage. While
we're running around with fogged heads patting ourselves on the back on our
perceived trend-setting status...as is so often the case...we are myopic
about what is really going on around us.

Shortwave broadcasting offers much that the Internet does not; portability,
anonymity and simplicity. I am certain shortwave will be around for a long
time; probably outlasting Internet so-called "broadcasting."

Old November 22nd 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Nah, always something of interest out there.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Every working day for truck drivers, there is "onderweg" on rnw.nl.

Analogue shutdown will be postponed to 2020, and then to ..

PS: hourly shortwave schedules he
http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk
Old November 22nd 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Unused spectrum is valuable in today's wireless world.

Some has, 7100-7200 HZ has been re-alocated to a ham band. I think it is
supposed to be clear of SWBC stations in 2010.

Before someone from the US goes and says it already is a ham band, it is only
one in the Western Hemisphere. Here in ITU zone 1 (and zone 3), it was
7000-7100 until a few years ago, now it is 7000-7200, but there are still
s-meter pinning SWBC stations on there.

In some parts of the world there is a new 5mHz ham band, but I don't think
it came from SWBC allocation.

Geoff.
Old November 23rd 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , dxAce
writes

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

Nah, always something of interest out there.

Not if insidious growth of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) or PLT
(Power Line Telecommunications) continues unchecked.

You want us to come over and save you yet again?

And impregnate your young women too?

Think hard before ya answer.

Bottom line, boy, no matter what you clown 'tards dream up, there will always be
something to listen to.

I've heard your doom and gloom stories since I re-entered the hobby circa 1981,
and I've always found something of interest to listen to,