Old December 6th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default FM transmitter

I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my upstairs
PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or backyard. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. I don't want to order something from a mail order
only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

Old December 6th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 6, 8:07*am, "homepc" wrote:
I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my upstairs
PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or backyard. *Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. *I don't want to order something from a mail order
only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

did you look at CCrane.com? lots of ideas there.
DW
Old December 6th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:07:19 -0600, homepc wrote:

I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my upstairs
PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or backyard. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. I don't want to order something from a mail order
only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

I second the motion for CCrane.com.
They have an FM stereo transmitter for $69.95 plus shipping.
The frequency can be set in 50kHz steps across the FM band.
There is a simple mod (just google it) where you open the bottom
carefully and turn a pot to max. With that mod and a few feet of wire
clipped to the antenna, you can broadcast for at least a couple of
hundred feet around your house. CCrane doesn't advertise the mod, but
I have read that they said the mod doesn't harm the circuit. I have
two of them , one on my PC and one on my home theater receiver.
Greg Arvantely
Old December 6th 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"oldradioguy09" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 8:07 am, "homepc" wrote:
I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my upstairs
PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or backyard.
Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. I don't want to order something from a mail order
only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

did you look at CCrane.com? lots of ideas there.
DW

I've read that the CCrane model is sometimes underpowered. People have
opened them up and adjusted the potentiometer to correct the problem, but
this of course voids the warranty ;(

http://www.piurl.com/p/1zuC

Old December 6th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

homepc wrote:
I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my upstairs
PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or backyard. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. I don't want to order something from a mail order
only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

That's illegal without a license. 500 Milliwatts can go several miles.

Old December 6th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 6, 8:07 am, "homepc" wrote:
I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my upstairs
PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or backyard.
Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. I don't want to order something from a mail order
only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

did you look at CCrane.com? lots of ideas there.
DW

I've read that the CCrane model is sometimes underpowered. People have
opened them up and adjusted the potentiometer to correct the problem, but
this of course voids the warranty ;(

http://www.piurl.com/p/1zuC

You might also want to check out
http://www.myfmstation.com/store/pro...products_id/49
I've a couple of these devices, now no longer available here in New
Zealand. Mine are branded DSE.
Range is an easy 100m.
Boon is usb-powered. (No battery issues)
Downside is restricted frequency choice.
XP & Vista supported. Can't test W7.
Cheers!
Old December 6th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" wrote in message
. ..
homepc wrote:
I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my
upstairs PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or
backyard. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. I don't want to order something from a mail
order only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

That's illegal without a license. 500 Milliwatts can go several miles.

I was sort of wondering about that. The web site says 3/4 mile range but
doesn't specify if that's with or without the optional antenna kit. Then
below is warns that the transmitter may broadcast well beyond the house. I
would settle just for a clear stereo signal throughout the house and the
back yard immediately next to the house. This product is being sold on eBay
with shipping to Canada. I was a little concerned about it being disallowed
by customs due to broadcasting restrictions.

Old December 7th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/6/09 10:28 , oldradioguy09 wrote:
On Dec 6, 8:07 am, wrote:
I am looking for a reliable FM stereo transmitter to attach to my upstairs
PC so I can listen to music and web radio in the basement or backyard. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at

http://dagcoelectronics.com/500mwRangeStar.html

and it looks promising. I don't want to order something from a mail order
only to find that it doesn't work as advertised.

did you look at CCrane.com? lots of ideas there.
DW

Check the kits by Ramsey, too.

The limited dynamic range of a FM device, such as you request,
and your music, if you don't process it to reign in dynamic range,
will likely not produce desireable results.

Ramsey kits, and a few others, offer built in limiting, and even
some spectral and dynamics processing for cleaner sound, and higher
average levels. Your music will sound more like a radio station,
which isn't always a good thing, but it may be more listenable than
simply plugging your audio into your tx device.

Depending on the size of your property, you may need more than
the power available from most such commercially available devices.

The Ramsey kits will get you there. Abeit at more cost, but with
excellent results and considerable versatility regarding antenna
installation.

Old December 7th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ramsey (Ramsey kits) Electronics sells a lot of good quality things.Ask
them to send you a catalog.
www.ramseyelectronics.com
cuhulin

Old December 7th 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 6, 8:07 am, wrote:
[...]

Any FM BCB transmitter that goes more than 10 feet probably requires a
license. The rules are very strict.