Old December 26th 09, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake or AOR?

I'm looking for the supreme or next to supreme desktop radio so I can
use it in either my car, at home (no computer hookups planned), or maybe
on one of my long bicycle trips.
I have found the Drake R-8 and SW-8 and also a mention of the AOR but
none found yet.
Anybody got any opinions on this?
Remember, home, car, bicycle, random antennas and that kind of thing.
I have plenty of boatanchors (Vacuum state FETs) and one marine RDF that
peaks at just over 4.0 MHz. I have a new Super CB Royce but a CB on a
bicycle might get too many laughs.
I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap. I'm $$$ limited.

Thanks,
Bill Baka
Old December 26th 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/26/09 04:11 , Bill Baka wrote:
I'm looking for the supreme or next to supreme desktop radio so I can
use it in either my car, at home (no computer hookups planned), or maybe
on one of my long bicycle trips.
I have found the Drake R-8 and SW-8 and also a mention of the AOR but
none found yet.
Anybody got any opinions on this?
Remember, home, car, bicycle, random antennas and that kind of thing.
I have plenty of boatanchors (Vacuum state FETs) and one marine RDF that
peaks at just over 4.0 MHz. I have a new Super CB Royce but a CB on a
bicycle might get too many laughs.
I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap. I'm $$$ limited.

Thanks,
Bill Baka

R-8(x) is not exactly a portable. Exceptional receiver but
you'll need some antenna, and a power supply. Intuitive controls. A
bit heavy for bike trips. Superb audio.

SW-8 is portable, and performs very well. Internal batteries, if
you'd like. But not terribly sensitive on the internal whip. That
can be improved, somewhat, by a trip to Drake. But still requires
some antenna. FM and Air band included. Superb audio, as well. Fits
well in a car. Easy to read display. Intuitive controls. Also a bit
heavy for bike trips.

AOR AR7030+...pricey. Can run you a kilobuck on the used market.
Compact. Stands toe to toe with the R8(x) in performance. Excellent
audio. The nested menu o/s not really for driving.

Now, one you've not mentioned, that's VERY portable, smaller and
lighter than the AOR, HIGHLY sensitive, works off battery power, and
a whip antenna, excellent audio....you can toss it into a backpack
for a bicycle trip and not feel it....Lowe HF-150. When you can find
one, it will be less expensive and a better general fit than your
other options. No lighted dial without modification.

Another small, and very nice performer, though not the best S/N
is AOR's AR3030. Sensitivity is good, but headroom is not on par
with the others. Small, lightweight, can run on batteries, sensitive
enough for a whip antenna. Intuitive controls, nice audio. Looks good.

For desktop operation, any of the 5. In order of performance:
R8(x), AR7030, HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

In the car, in order of performance: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For bike trips: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For general purpose/all applications: SW-8, HF-150.

Old December 26th 09, 11:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake or AOR? Addendum

On 12/26/09 04:50 , D. Peter Maus wrote:
[...]

One caveat about SW-8. The audio stage is unique. The finals
output is not referenced to ground. That is to say it's floating and
balanced. If you should accidently take one leg to ground, say in an
attempt to run the audio through the car's system, you blow the
audio stage. So, auto applications will require some care. Transform
the output and you're fine.

Not an issue if you use the receiver's internal speaker exclusively.

Old December 27th 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 12/26/09 04:50 , D. Peter Maus wrote:

R-8(x) is not exactly a portable. Exceptional receiver but you'll need
some antenna, and a power supply. Intuitive controls. A bit heavy for
bike trips. Superb audio.

My conclusion too.

SW-8 is portable, and performs very well. Internal batteries, if you'd
like. But not terribly sensitive on the internal whip. That can be
improved, somewhat, by a trip to Drake. But still requires some antenna.
FM and Air band included. Superb audio, as well. Fits well in a car.
Easy to read display. Intuitive controls. Also a bit heavy for bike
trips.

It is one of 3 finalists. SW-8, AOR AR7030, and one of the Lowes, either
an AOR3030 or AOR7030. Beyond that I can go down to the general purpose
portables, nice for *old* people to take on a cruise ship but not for
me, the eternal teenager and user/abuser of equipment. The Mountain bike
weighs about 48 pounds, I weigh 40 pounds over my athletic peak, and a
heavy radio would be the least of my problems.

AOR AR7030+...pricey. Can run you a kilobuck on the used market.
Compact. Stands toe to toe with the R8(x) in performance. Excellent
audio. The nested menu o/s not really for driving.

I don't even try to tune the radio when I am moving. CD's, cassettes and
other accident causers are not in my car or in use when I drive. If I
can find a good station before I start then I don't have to tune around.
Since I learned to listen for mechanical noise and fix my own car I have
been a DIY'er ever since I was 15 on cars, 7 or 8 on radios.
t5rwss've not mentioned, that's VERY portable, smaller and
lighter
than the AOR, HIGHLY sensitive, works off battery power, and a whip
antenna, excellent audio....you can toss it into a backpack for a
bicycle trip and not feel it....Lowe HF-150. When you can find one, it
will be less expensive and a better general fit than your other options.
No lighted dial without modification.

Another small, and very nice performer, though not the best S/N is AOR's
AR3030. Sensitivity is good, but headroom is not on par with the others.
Small, lightweight, can run on batteries, sensitive enough for a whip
antenna. Intuitive controls, nice audio. Looks good.

For desktop operation, any of the 5. In order of performance: R8(x),
AR7030, HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

In the car, in order of performance: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For bike trips: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For general purpose/all applications: SW-8, HF-150.

Pretty much the short list I came up with.

someone
One caveat about SW-8. The audio stage is unique. The finals output is
not referenced to ground. That is to say it's floating and balanced. If
you should accidently take one leg to ground, say in an attempt to run
the audio through the car's system, you blow the audio stage. So, auto
applications will require some care. Transform the output and you're fine.

Not an issue if you use the receiver's internal speaker exclusively.

In the car yes. I want to hear sirens and stuff happening around me when
I am driving. There are dozens of speaker sets around here from dead
receivers made (you know where, China), that gave up the ghost as soon
as possible when the warranty (full) expired. I could strap one under
the steering wheel since it is mono anyway and be isolated from the
car's 12 volt positive system. I have only seen positive ground on a few
European brands from the 1950's and very early 60's.
The Lowe, Drake, and AOR each have some unique features that would be
killer in one radio. I would like to see a custom comb filter in all of
them that could be set to blank the totally repetitive 50 and 60 Hertz
noise from lamps and such. If the are two or three SCR's all switching
at the same point per sine but different degrees they could be tuned out
manually.
Not to go overboard, but maybe someone else coming up, could offer a
radio with upgradeable modules until you got to the $30,000 super spy
radio that gets everything from literally D.C. to daylight.
Choices are still nice to have and I would still want to have the radio
in my hand before I buy it, but those days appear to be just memories now.
Bill Baka
Old December 27th 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 6:44*pm, Bill Baka wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
[...]

The AR7030+ has many memory slots (300 I think) and a wireless IR
remote. I think it is too big for mounting in a car. Using the 7030 in
bright light may require the rear IR sensor to be covered over. The
7030+MB has a noise blanker, though I never really needed it. The auto
tracking notch filer is very good.

Old December 27th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 5:11*am, Bill Baka wrote:
I'm looking for the supreme or next to supreme desktop radio so I can
use it in either my car, at home (no computer hookups planned), or maybe
on one of my long bicycle trips.
I have found the Drake R-8 and SW-8 and also a mention of the AOR but
none found yet.
Anybody got any opinions on this?
Remember, home, car, bicycle, random antennas and that kind of thing.
I have plenty of boatanchors (Vacuum state FETs) and one marine RDF that
peaks at just over 4.0 MHz. I have a new Super CB Royce but a CB on a
bicycle might get too many laughs.
I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap. I'm $$$ limited.

Thanks,
Bill Baka

I find that wearing my tin foil hat and facing northwest works fine
for me both in my car and at home. Make sure the shiny side is facing
out!
Good luck.
Douche
Old December 27th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Watkins-Johnson Radio,,, but, you won't be haulin one of those around on
your two wheeler.

www.devilfinder.com
Watkins Johnson Radios
cuhulin

Old December 28th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 26, 7:30*pm, Bill Baka wrote:
wrote:

Snipped

The AR7030+ has many memory slots (300 I think) and a wireless IR
remote. I think it is too big for mounting in a car. Using the 7030 in
bright light may require the rear IR sensor to be covered over. *The
7030+MB has a noise blanker, though I never really needed it. The auto
tracking notch filer is very good.

This could be a two radio situation, like one for the car, one for home,
and maybe one for the bicycle. Depends on $$$ and how much pedaling I
want to do.
Thanks,
Bill Baka

The AOR7030 is way too heavy for the bicycle. Besides, your antenna
would have to be a vertical whip. They are noisy, plus you are close
to automobiles. Then there is the theft issue. Why not a Sony portable
for the bicycle.
Old December 28th 09, 04:07 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baka View Post
I'm looking for the supreme or next to supreme desktop radio so I can
use it in either my car, at home (no computer hookups planned), or maybe
on one of my long bicycle trips.
I have found the Drake R-8 and SW-8 and also a mention of the AOR but
none found yet.
Anybody got any opinions on this?
Remember, home, car, bicycle, random antennas and that kind of thing.
I have plenty of boatanchors (Vacuum state FETs) and one marine RDF that
peaks at just over 4.0 MHz. I have a new Super CB Royce but a CB on a
bicycle might get too many laughs.
I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap. I'm $$$ limited.

Thanks,
Bill Baka
Check out the Palstar R30A here ... http://www.palstar.com/r30.php

Universal has it at a slight discount. It has received some great reviews, and I'm thinking of getting one myself.

-Jim