Old January 16th 10, 10:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default FA: Near MINT JRC NRD-535D HF Shortwave Receiver Radio

In article 37bac5b8-9dba-4b90-9bc8-8a208465ea73
@j5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, says...
On Jan 15, 5:37*am, BDK wrote:
In article 17592d88-85d7-4a24-9f6d-579f27c860e9@
21g2000yqj.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 14, 12:34*pm, BDK wrote:
In article f4b660a5-43ca-4b08-8e25-
, says...

On Jan 11, 11:28*pm, BDK wrote:
In article dba5d973-af57-44ce-9b4d-f4062b09ab17@
22g2000yqr.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 11, 10:29*am, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

bpnjensen wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:10 pm, *wrote:
My apologies to the group if you are offended by reading auction
offers from eBay, but I thought that the following item would be of
interest to members of this group.

I have the following item presently listed on eBay (Near MINT JRC
NRD-535D HF Shortwave Receiver Radio). It is in first class shape. I
apologize about sending this to the group if this is not allowed, but
I thought that the readers here might be interested.

*For those who are interested*: *
http://tinyurl.com/yl8c7lx

I am not disappointed, nor do I consider this spam. *Thanks, Bill.

Bruce Jensen

I mean the radio is a dog. *Maybe that's what the "D" stands for.

LOL, then it's a dog I would really like to have.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.

Me, too - to each his own, I suppose, but I would not turn up my nose
at the 535D.

Bruce

I already have a 515 and 525, so obviously I like JRC stuff. I've had a
lot of other receivers and the JRC's are keepers.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.
Non Jew Jew Club founding member.
Former number one Kook Magnet, title passed to Iarnrod.- Hide quoted text -

* * * * * * JRC are true radios. But, they no longer glow in the
dark. * NRD-5XX line was never designed to be a high end audio piece
of equipment, it was just a cheaper *version for the of their main
products for the less mortal ... Like SW listeners and hams. Audio
stages were deliberately made to have a fast roll-off above 8 KHz or
so. IF filers are quite good, front end = very good. *545 is probably
one of the *prettiest and conveniently laid out rigs that hail from
the Far East. The letter D stands for Dominator ! *I respect JRC for
what they are- *no gimmicks.

I'm not a program listener anyway, so as long as the SSB and RTTY modes
are good, I'm all set. Probably the best sounding solid state receiver I
had was the Kenwood R5000 I got from a friend who was getting out of the
hobby and going into RC stuff. It was one of the EEB ones and had some
other mods that some other place did. It sounded great, but I had lots
of other radios and when I needed some cash, it was the one that went.

Old January 16th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If anyone needs either the service manual or the resource collection for the
SX-190 just email me. About 4.6 meg download for both.

On Jan 14, 12:34 pm, BDK wrote:
In article f4b660a5-43ca-4b08-8e25-
,
says...

On Jan 11, 11:28 pm, BDK wrote:
In article dba5d973-af57-44ce-9b4d-f4062b09ab17@
22g2000yqr.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 11, 10:29 am, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

bpnjensen wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

The best sounding one I have right now is an insanely modded
Hammarlund
HQ-100 that I got on Ebay for $58. It's got 2 extra tubes in it, a
product detector and a crystal filter. If it was just a little more
stable, it would be great for digital modes. SSB is tolerable, but
it
has to be touched up occasionally.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.
Non Jew Jew Club founding member.
Former number one Kook Magnet, title passed to Iarnrod.- Hide quoted
text -

Why the HQ-100 is not stable? Couldn't better oscillators be
installed ,if desired so ? After all - it is insanely modified !

I suppose it could be, but I don't know how to really do it. I can fix
it, and have a couple times, but making changes to it is something I
would need someone else to at least design. I could install anything ok
though. There's no real point in doing it, as I have the 515, 525, a
Kenwood TS-850, an allied SX-190, a totally dead Icom R71A that
hopefully will come to life without too much struggle, and so the
Hammarlund has two real uses, AM BC listening, and as a space heater,
this room is cold this time of year.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.
Non Jew Jew Club founding member.
Former number one Kook Magnet, title passed to Iarnrod.- Hide quoted
text -

Will need lots of space heaters this year! They are called tube
radios. Since you mentioned the SX-190, does your unit have any extra
crystals for the SW bands coverage? Got two of them over the years and
found the level of construction to be very decent. Not very typical of
early japanese gadjets-many of them weren't built this well... Need
more crystals,though.

I tried to get one back when the SX-190's were new, and always wanted
one. They had a mint one at a local hamfest, it looked like it had just
come out of the box, but the old guy wanted a totally insane price for
it, so I started looking on Ebay and got mine for $65, plus shipping.

No extra crystals, and it's really pretty deaf on a couple bands, but is
really hot on 9MHZ, to the point it overloads pretty badly. One of these
days I will get into it again, and figure it out. Shouldn't be too hard,
since 9MHZ works fine, so that limits the problem areas.

All it did was buzz when I got it, and barely pick up a BC station a
couple miles from here. The big filter cap had leaked and eaten up the
PC board under it, but it was still an easy fix, and I got 9MHZ working
as soon as I replaced a couple of other caps that didn't look quite
right, and I touched up a couple of bad looking solder joints, I'm not
sure which fixed it. It's in very good shape cosmetically for an almost
40 year old radio. The bulbs were good in it too. The faceplate just
needed a good wipe off with a damp rag, and I put the case into my
dishwasher and it came out looking really good, just a few scratches on
top. No rust at all, except a tiny bit on the bottom. The speaker is
another thing, the cone is rotted out, and the case is badly rusted, it
was in a plastic bag in the box and "sweated". I don't use it anyway,
but I might look for another speaker one of these days.

Old January 16th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
If anyone needs either the service manual or the resource collection for the
SX-190 just email me. About 4.6 meg download for both.

I already have it, but thanks.

BDK

On Jan 11, 11:28 pm, BDK wrote:
In article dba5d973-af57-44ce-9b4d-f4062b09ab17@
22g2000yqr.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 11, 10:29 am, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

Old January 17th 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 16, 2:27*pm, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Jan 11, 11:28 pm, BDK wrote:
In article dba5d973-af57-44ce-9b4d-f4062b09ab17@
22g2000yqr.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 11, 10:29 am, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

bpnjensen wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes,the 9MHz band seems to be peaked at the factory- both of mine
behave almost exactly the same. Tried substituting random frequency
crystals, but to get exactly into the proper bands it was made for is
nearly impossible. Some of old CB crystals fit in perfectly into the
spare slots,but don't produce the right frequencies.Those peaking caps
are very touchy. Very fine radio, I think it has been special built
for Allied/RS by either AOR or GRE. Iron rice boxes!
Old January 17th 10, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ff2c7ee1-107b-483f-affb-5bfb984b11b5
@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, says...
On Jan 16, 2:27*pm, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Jan 11, 11:28 pm, BDK wrote:
In article dba5d973-af57-44ce-9b4d-f4062b09ab17@
22g2000yqr.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 11, 10:29 am, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

bpnjensen wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

It's GRE that made it. I made the mistake of playing with the trimmers
on the 11MHZ band and I had a hell of a time getting it back to where it
was, and that was weaker than my other receivers with the 20DB
attenuators on. I put a 3 db attenuator I had laying around in the coax
line and 9MHZ was really good. I think this is a cap issue or maybe just
a bad solder joint. At this age, that wouldn't shock me at all. In
general though, almost all the joints looked very good, much better than
my old Icom 735's soldering did, there were easily a hundred bad, or bad
looking joints in it.