Old January 21st 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default End of the road for shortwave?

Gregg wrote:
On Jan 20, 5:16 am, dave wrote:
Slade Henson wrote:
I hope not. I was into shortwave 30 years ago and returned six years
ago. I hope it continues; it's one of my main sources of international
news.
slade
Interesting article. Definitely explains why there are a lot less
signals now than in the 70s
"Al Fansome" wrote in message
m...
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187

You obviously have the internet. Why wouldn't you get international
news via it, rather than fuzzy old HFBC, which went out with the Berlin
Wall.

Dave - not trying to sound like a jerk, but why do you always put down
shortwave on a shortwave newsgroup of all places? Inquiring minds want
to know. :-)

Gregg, he answered that question in another response. Makes you sound
like a jerk! Inquiring minds should try to keep up instead of getting
sarcastic!

Krypsis

Old January 21st 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 20, 7:06*am, "Carl" wrote:
What is with these naysayers on a shortwave newsgroup who are
anti-shortwave?
I'm scratching my head to try to figure out why guys that are so AGAINST
something
bother with lurking around in the shadows of a newsgroup devoted to a
specific topic.

Every time one of these doomsday posts appears the creeps crawl out of the
woodwork and bad rap shortwave radio which, incidentally, is healthy and
thriving.

***APPLAUSE***APPLAUSE***
I hit the send button basically saying what you said above before I
got to your post. I know this group is about the entire spectrum and
antennas plus all the other goodies that go along with this great
hobby.

But the namesake of this forum is ahem "shortwave" - so I agree with
the head scratching also but I think deep down we both know why
specific people always seem to beat that drum. I'll let them figure it
out. Ha!
Old January 21st 10, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 20, 9:58*am, dave wrote:

I have nothing against shortwave radio. *In fact, I spent $2k last week
on a shortwave radio. *HFBC is dead. *Not shortwave. *Not radio. *HFBC.

OK Dave. I stand corrected. I'll believe you. This time. ;-)

Old January 21st 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:

"Al wrote in message
m...
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187

You obviously have the internet. Why wouldn't you get international
news via it, rather than fuzzy old HFBC, which went out with the Berlin
Wall.

Dave - not trying to sound like a jerk, but why do you always put down
shortwave on a shortwave newsgroup of all places? Inquiring minds want
to know. :-)

Shortwave is a synonym for HF, which is a band of frequencies from 3 MHz
to 30 MHz. HFBC is a small slice of the shortwave pie. I find it
laughable that people think that in this day and age there's a challenge
to receiving a 50 KW radio station.

Old January 21st 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 21, 5:45*am, Krypsis wrote:
Gregg wrote:
"Al Fansome" wrote in message
news:LrmdnYn7pMdHsMvWnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@supernews .com...
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187
You obviously have the internet. *Why wouldn't you get international
news via it, rather than fuzzy old HFBC, which went out with the Berlin
Wall.

Dave - not trying to sound like a jerk, but why do you always put down
shortwave on a shortwave newsgroup of all places? Inquiring minds want
to know. :-)

Gregg, he answered that question in another response. Makes you sound
like a jerk! Inquiring minds should try to keep up instead of getting
sarcastic!

Krypsis- Hide quoted text -

I saw no sarcasm in Gregg's post - none at all - and I seriously
wonder about the sarcasm in your own. Gregg's was a reasonable
question, and it is unreasonable to expect a person to see EVERY other
post from a given individual, for a number of reasons.

BTW, Dave answered it appropriately too, even though I disagree with
him.

Bruce Jensen

Old January 21st 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

(CNN) -- In the brutal aftermath of Haiti's earthquake, Jean-Robert Gaillard
turned to his low-tech radio for solace and for a lifeline. When the
earthquake hit, the 57-year-old from Petionville, Haiti, found most of his
normal lines of communication -- his cell phone, the Internet, even his
ability to walk down the street and talk to someone -- severed by the
disaster.

Full story can be read on www.qrz.com.

Old January 21st 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On Jan 21, 5:45 am, Krypsis wrote:
Gregg wrote:

snip

I saw no sarcasm in Gregg's post - none at all - and I seriously
wonder about the sarcasm in your own.

My sarcasm was deliberate. You see, Gregg, in posts to other newsgroups,
where he was harassing other posters, used the same line, "Inquiring
minds want to know." He seems to have picked up the habit from his troll
friends as they are wont to use that line, in particular, nurk fred.

Gregg's was a reasonable
question, and it is unreasonable to expect a person to see EVERY other
post from a given individual, for a number of reasons.

It is entirely reasonable to expect a person to read ahead on a topic to
see if his "question" has been answered already. I was able to do so
with my usenet client. If Gregg cannot easily do so, then I suggest he
move from Google Groups to a more amenable usenet client. That way he
will be less prone to "sounding like a jerk".

Old January 21st 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:

Shortwave is a synonym for HF, which is a band of frequencies from 3 MHz
to 30 MHz. HFBC is a small slice of the shortwave pie. I find it
laughable that people think that in this day and age there's a challenge
to receiving a 50 KW radio station.

a) All stations are not 50 kW.

b) There is the intangible "magic" of radio that some enjoy.

c) As stated previously, use shortwave for radio magic. Use the internet
if you want solid copy on programming content. There is room for both.
Old January 21st 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 21, 1:10*pm, Krypsis wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Jan 21, 5:45 am, Krypsis wrote:
Gregg wrote:

snip

[...]

Very well - but frankly, *in this instance*, his question sounded
reasonable and credible and forthright and on-topic, very un-troll-
like, where your response did not.

Bruce Jensen
Old January 22nd 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The first ''Radios'' were Telephones.(Telephone, Telegraph, and
TellaWoman)

As long as there are People on Earth, and when Earthlings start setting
up Housekeeping on other Planets, (http://www.devilfinder.com
Hijacking the Red Planet) there will always be a need and also a use
for Telephones and also for Shortwave Radio.

http://www.krud.com

ET, Phone Home!
cuhulin

------Cinder Road------- Izzy Shortwave 0 March 29th 07 11:13 PM
Hey Road Warrior I Am Not George CB 73 May 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Hey Road Worrier..... Frank Gilliland CB 5 April 23rd 04 12:15 AM
Hey Road Worrier..... Frank Gilliland CB 0 April 22nd 04 12:23 PM
Set up on Off-road rig John Henry CB 0 July 9th 03 01:07 PM