Old February 18th 10, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Recommendations - 12 / 13.8v Power Supply, ~ 5 amp?

On Feb 17, 8:24*am, dave wrote:
wrote:
Some very sucessful high end audio
designs implement a separate power supply for EACH stage . And none of
them seem to favor switchers!

They probably don't have to buy their own electricity. *If I was still
using my 2 [ea] 9 Amp linear supplies my electric bill would be $100 a
month higher. *I got the switcher to save energy. *The fact that it is
tiny, quiet, and cool is all gravy.

There's an electric motor at a quarry, over a mile away, that has some
sparky brushes. *I can tell when they turn it on and off. *This is a
very quiet (QRM) spot.

The same audio designs usually implement class A in the power
output stages, so obviously they are not concerned about efficiency
and electric bills. They don't sound too bad, untill one looks at
their prices...
Old February 18th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

Sounds like a Variac...a big rheostat or something. With some
testing, you could probably bring old tube rigs back to life slowly
(warm up and reform the capacitors...)

Not a rheostat, an autotransformer with a wiper.
Old February 18th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I tried to find a photo of an Acme Electric Cororation Voltrol power
supply thangy like mine on the net, no effing luck on that.Mannnnn,,,
it's weird,,, take for instance, over a month ago when I removed the
Carter Thermo Quad four barrel carburetor from my 1983 Dodge van so I
could rebuild that carburetor, I looked all over for my flare nut
wrenches.I Know I have a bunch of flare nut wrenches around here
somewhere, I couldn't find them, I didn't want to eff up the metal fuel
line to my carburetor.My old buddy loaned me one of his flare nut
wrenches.Someday, when I am not looking for my flare nut wrenches, they
will pop up in front of my eyes just like Magic!

My power Acme Electric Voltrol supply thingy has a retangular metal
case.The metal grill around the sides of the case/cabinet/whatever, is
sort of like a basketweave design.Sort of like a chair cane seat
basketweave style.

LQQKa here, if you ever rebuild a Carter Thermo Quad four barrel
carburetor and if you never done it before, I Guarantee you, you are in
for a Treat! But, I did it and my old 1983 Dodge van runs like brand
spanking new.I still need to get new mufflers on my van, maybe next
week, at Acey's Performace Exhaust shop.
cuhulin

Old February 18th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

The thought of you spilling gasoline frightens me.

Old February 18th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 18, 1:20*pm, dave wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The thought of you spilling gasoline frightens me.- Hide quoted text -

LOL! Gives new meaning to the term "Mississippi Burning"!
Old February 19th 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 18, 8:36*am, dave wrote:
wrote:

* * * * The same audio designs usually implement class A in the power
output stages, so obviously they are not concerned about efficiency
and electric bills. They don't sound too bad, untill one looks at
their prices...

I do high-end pro audio. *We have 1 RU amplifiers that produce 10,000
Watts each. *They are decidedly not Class A I certainly wouldn't expect 1RU amps to be a true class A. Even at a 100 Watt into 8 Ohm load. What make is the one you are dealing with, Dave? Are they mosfets in the output stage or something different; the ones I was referring to are those overpriced consumer grade "audio-sucker" monoblocks, and usually weigh at least a 100 lbs and up. Talk about linear power supplies,good heavens... Heat sinks alone are almost as big as my house cast iron steam radiator!

Old February 19th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In June of 1992, I visited Mexico for five days.I was sitting in a park
in down town Reynosa.There was a movie theater across the street.On the
marque it said, Misisipi En Lama.
cuhulin

Old February 20th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 19, 8:18*am, dave wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 18, 8:36 am, *wrote:
wrote:

[...]

They are Powersoft Digam from Italy. *They are switch mode power amplifiers.

http://pro-audio.powersoft.it/an_ser...=53&id_menu=27....

Nice . Must be built to very high standards,since it is from
Florence. Are they better than Crown?

FA linear power supply with toroid power xformer jeff Equipment 0 March 19th 06 07:07 AM
Wtb: hp-23 power supply John Swap 0 November 20th 05 04:20 AM
WTB: HV POWER SUPPLY AL G. Swap 0 October 5th 04 04:30 AM
Astron RS-20A Power Supply Great Condition - used to power a VHF radio Les Smith Swap 5 October 16th 03 09:47 AM
Need help w/ Power Supply TRAMD300 Swap 0 July 27th 03 06:03 AM