RadioBanter

-   -   Alkalines versus NiMH (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/150278-re-alkalines-versus-nimh.html)

not gav March 14th 10 08:05 PM

Alkalines versus NiMH

"kb9rqz" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 12:24 pm, wrote:
I can easily belive the Energizer E2 lithiums work well. At
two dollars a battery (I can get eight cheap alkalines for
two bucks...).

Are lithium available in rechargable? Lithium ion maybe?

not yet they keep promising that but it is so far vaporware

I don't believe they will ever produce lithium ion AA's at 1.5 volts.
A lithium ion battery in a common or non proprietary package like the
AA package creates a dangerous situation. If one tries to charge it
in a common or non proprietary charger it may blow up.

so what if I screw up enough almost anything will blow up

http://ve7kfm.com/kb9rqz.html

INDEED!!!

Brian Gregory [UK] March 14th 10 11:54 PM

Alkalines versus NiMH

"not gav" wrote in message

"kb9rqz" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 12:24 pm, wrote:
I can easily belive the Energizer E2 lithiums work well. At
two dollars a battery (I can get eight cheap alkalines for
two bucks...).

Are lithium available in rechargable? Lithium ion maybe?

not yet they keep promising that but it is so far vaporware

I don't believe they will ever produce lithium ion AA's at 1.5 volts.
A lithium ion battery in a common or non proprietary package like the
AA package creates a dangerous situation. If one tries to charge it
in a common or non proprietary charger it may blow up.

so what if I screw up enough almost anything will blow up

http://ve7kfm.com/kb9rqz.html

INDEED!!!

Lithium Ion as we know it is about 3.6V anyway.

Most types of Lithium cells are between 3V and 3.7V.

It's only the Lithium/Iron Disulfide type that's around 1.5V (actually about
1.7V to 1.8V when new).
And AFAIK there isn't a recharable equivalent.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

bpnjensen March 15th 10 12:43 AM

Alkalines versus NiMH

On Mar 14, 1:05*pm, "not gav" wrote:
"kb9rqz" wrote in message

On Mar 14, 12:24 pm, wrote: I can easily belive the Energizer E2 lithiums work well. At
two dollars a battery (I can get eight cheap alkalines for
two bucks...).

Are lithium available in rechargable? Lithium ion maybe?

not yet they keep promising that but it is so far vaporware

I don't believe they will ever produce lithium ion AA's at 1.5 volts.
A lithium ion battery in a common or non proprietary package like the
AA package creates a dangerous situation. If one tries to charge it
in a common or non proprietary charger it may blow up.

so what if I screw up enough almost anything will blow up

http://ve7kfm.com/kb9rqz.html

INDEED!!!

I like Lithium batteries just for the convenience. They last a LOT
longer than alkalines, and in fact I have some frequent-use devices
with Lithiums that have not needed a battery change for almost half a
decade. Some GMRS 1.5-watt walkie talkies, for example - I use them a
bunch in the summer, and they just keep on ticking. Also in bicycle
lights, etc. Well worth the price differential.

I wish they were readily available in C and D sizes.

Bruce Jensen

[email protected] March 15th 10 01:30 PM

Alkalines versus NiMH

Watchin the Three Stooges on teh AMC channel.I just now saw a new
J.G.Wentworth opera commercial.They are people riding in a city bus and
they are singing the opera song.

Calllll J.G.Wentworth 877 cash nowwwwwwwwww,,,,,,,
I have a stuctured settlement and I neeeeed cash nowwwwwwwww,,,,,,
cuhulin

not gav March 16th 10 04:33 AM

Alkalines versus NiMH

"kb9rqz" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 4:05 pm, "not gav" wrote:

trure you ain't gav

trure

but LIth babtteries are nice

teh LIth babtteries are hard two beat indeed

[email protected] March 16th 10 01:30 PM

Alkalines versus NiMH

Ahh Likes dem thar Opera, J.G.Wentworth Opera telebishion (telebishion,
Dennis the Menance, telebishion and Cowboy Bob) commercials.
877 cash nowwwwwww,,,,,,,,,
Kelp!
cuhulin

dave March 16th 10 11:21 PM

Alkalines versus NiMH

not gav wrote:
wrote in message
On Mar 14, 4:05 pm, "not wrote:

trure you ain't gav

trure

but LIth babtteries are nice

teh LIth babtteries are hard two beat indeed

I don't like them. They die without warning. Li ion

[email protected] March 16th 10 11:51 PM

Alkalines versus NiMH

Sometimes those lith batteries get too HOT and burn houses Down.
I Don't Like lith batteries either.I Flat Do NOT use them at all and I
Never Will!
I will Keep On Keeping On using Good Ray O Vac Alkaline Batteries.I have
been using Ray O Vac Batteries ever since the 1940s.They haven't let me
down yet.
Don't play with fire, you might get burnt.
cuhulin

[email protected] March 17th 10 01:02 AM

Alkalines versus NiMH

Staples tv commercial on Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs, Discovery channel,,,
Hot diggity dog, tHats a low price! staples.com

Temperture inside my house,,, Hot diggity dog!,,, 77 degrees! LeeHets me
turn teh temp down!
cuhulin

bpnjensen March 17th 10 05:32 PM

Alkalines versus NiMH

On Mar 17, 8:51*am, kb9rqz wrote:
On Mar 16, 7:21*pm, dave wrote:

not gav wrote:
*wrote in message
On Mar 14, 4:05 pm, "not *wrote:

trure you ain't gav

trure

but LIth babtteries are nice

* teh LIth babtteries are hard two beat indeed

I don't like them. *They die without warning. *Li ion- Hide quoted text -

most of them seem to die without uch warning- Hide quoted text -

I have to say, I have not had this problem. I usually see the device
begin to slow or dim or whatever it would normally do. It may be only
a half an hour 'til electron death, but it is not instantaneous, and
that's plenty of time for anything I use.

Bruce