Old March 24th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (Slightly OT) Question: TV dx'ers or Canadians

Did anyone ever see the first programs of SCTV (Second City
Television) on the Global Television Network from Canada? They were on
from around 1976-1978. I was close to the border in Detroit and they
had a station in Windsor, Ontario. I would never miss a show. Now that
was great TV.

Anyone who saw some of that stuff on Global remember a show called
Shh! Its the News? They made fun of news shows. They used to have a
skit at the beginning of the show with an old couple watching TV and
the skit would always end by someone saying "Shh! It's the News" - but
they would run the first two words together. Then they would throw the
TV out the window. Again great stuff and it was ahead of its time. I
think it may have been a production of SCTV.

Jim
Old March 24th 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message

Did anyone ever see the first programs of SCTV (Second City
Television) on the Global Television Network from Canada? They were on
from around 1976-1978. I was close to the border in Detroit and they
had a station in Windsor, Ontario. I would never miss a show. Now that
was great TV.

Those original SCTV shows were syndicated in the US. One of our stations in
Portland, OR carried them. I loved the show (and Dave Thomas as the Beaver).
I remember the first time I saw it... all those TV's flying out the
windows.. I could identify. I was truly ROTFL.

Old March 24th 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 23, 10:30*pm, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:
Those original SCTV shows were syndicated in the US. One of our stations in
Portland, OR carried them. I loved the show (and Dave Thomas as the Beaver).
I remember the first time I saw it... all those TV's flying out the
windows.. I could identify. *I was truly ROTFL.

An outstanding comedy show! Great writing and fantastic character
acting by a top notch all Canadian cast. My favorites were Rick
Moranis playing Dick Cavett, Eugene Levy as Sid Dithers, Dave Thomas
doing William F. Buckley and John Candy in everything.

Saturday Night Live wasn't even close to this classic. Canada hit a
home run with SCTV!.

Old March 24th 10, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 24, 12:52*am, Priest wrote:
An outstanding comedy show! Great writing and fantastic character
acting by a top notch all Canadian cast. My favorites were Rick
Moranis playing Dick Cavett, Eugene Levy as Sid Dithers, Dave Thomas
doing William F. Buckley and John Candy in everything.

Or maybe it was Joe Flaherty who did William F. Buckley. Eugene Levy
as Henry Kissinger and Floyd the Barber. Rick Moranis doing Merv
Griffin and Woody Allen. Cathrine O'Hara as Lola Hetherton. Martin
Short doing Jerry Lewis and David Steinberg. Dave Thomas doing Bob
Hope. All hilarious. What a body of work!
Old March 24th 10, 01:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Priest wrote:
On Mar 23, 10:30 pm, "Brenda
wrote:
Those original SCTV shows were syndicated in the US. One of our stations in
Portland, OR carried them. I loved the show (and Dave Thomas as the Beaver).
I remember the first time I saw it... all those TV's flying out the
windows.. I could identify. I was truly ROTFL.

An outstanding comedy show! Great writing and fantastic character
acting by a top notch all Canadian cast. My favorites were Rick
Moranis playing Dick Cavett, Eugene Levy as Sid Dithers, Dave Thomas
doing William F. Buckley and John Candy in everything.

Saturday Night Live wasn't even close to this classic. Canada hit a
home run with SCTV!.

I liked Jerry Todd, the VJ who ran his own board.