Old April 1st 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
joe joe is offline

Default Grundig 750 or Grundig G3

Bob Dobbs wrote:
joe wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
SC Dxing wrote:
Operator Bob,

I guess the questions I am asking. Does having separate USB/LSB switch
make a difference when listening to sideband signals?
Sure does!

Will having
separate USB/LSB along with synch detection make that much of a
difference trying to listen to weak AM signals both on AM and
shortwave?
If your experience matches mine you might have some difficulty getting the
sync-det to lock on the variable intensity SSB signals but on AM it will make a
difference depending on which side of the signal is being encroached.
I guess you mean AMBCB and SW in which case the operation is the same.

A sync detector is not designed to be used on an SSB signal. It is no
wonder that you have some difficulty.

Was just answering the question from the person I responded to,
I know full well how it works but I can see where my answer might be
misconstrued and confusing.

A sync detector works by locking onto the carrier of the signal. In SSB
there is no carrier.

When there is audio (modulation) present, there most certainly is a carrier,
otherwise it's suppressed and therefore problematic for sync-det.

In SSB there is no carrier at all, you seem to be saying that there is.

The common AM mode (DSB modulation with carrier) has a carrier,
modulated or not. SSB is nothing with no modulation and one sideband
only when there is modulation.

If someone were to modulate their SSB signal with anything close to a steady
tone the sync-det could possibly get a lock.

True as a steady tone is just like a carrier. Because it may look like
one does not mean it is.

note* - there isn't a way to engage the sync-det in either of the SSB modes on
the only radio I have that has it.

Of course not, it would make no sense.

However, if your radio has USB/LSB selectable sync modes, then the only
difference between that and SSB is the injected carrier to the product
detector is either phase locked, or not.

Old April 1st 10, 08:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
When there is audio (modulation) present, there most certainly is a carrier,
otherwise it's suppressed and therefore problematic for sync-det.
If someone were to modulate their SSB signal with anything close to a steady
tone the sync-det could possibly get a lock.
note* - there isn't a way to engage the sync-det in either of the SSB modes on
the only radio I have that has it.

No. Most ham rigs made since 1980 don't actually produce an AM signal, they
produce a double sideband reduced carrier signal. Ham rigs produce a signal
by taking an AM signal and running it through a filter to remove
the carrier and the other sideband.

Their "AM" mode signal is made by recombining the the upper and lower sideband
signals, with only a tiny residual carrier.

Most AM receivers can receive this signal, but there is no carrier to lock
on to, so I doubt that a sync detector can lock onto them.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.