Old April 2nd 10, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 50,000 Watts of Tradition: WOWO 1190 AM

Very cool site has the history of radio station WOWO 1190 AM; photos
of studios, transmitters and staff through the decades and audio clips
of station IDs, jingles and interviews. http://www.historyofwowo.com/
Old April 2nd 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Don't miss their collection of radio stamps and QSL cards -
outstanding! http://www.historyofwowo.com/qsls.html
Old April 2nd 10, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

W O W OOOOOOOOOOO,,, Fort Wayne,Indianaaaaaa,,,,,,,

I am goin to bed.Move over doggy.You wants ah cookie?
WOO WOO WOOF!
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 2, 12:20*am, Priest wrote:
Very cool site has the history of radio station WOWO 1190 AM; photos
of studios, transmitters and staff through the decades and audio clips
of station IDs, jingles and interviews.http://www.historyofwowo.com/

Cool! That is going to be some good reading. Do you care to do "The
Nations Station" ie, "The Big One"?:-)

700 WLW Baby, even Hitler hated us "Cincinnatian's" because of WLW. If
you don't, I will find some info, I used to have a folder on WLW's
history and it's now in one of my many drawers - Ha!
Old April 2nd 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 2, 4:00*am, dxAce wrote:
Priest wrote:
Very cool site has the history of radio station WOWO 1190 AM; photos
of studios, transmitters and staff through the decades and audio clips
of station IDs, jingles and interviews.http://www.historyofwowo.com/

I've sat in the studio while Bob Sievers (SK W9FJT) did his morning program
and hung around the transmitter site when I was a kid. My grandparents farm
was a stones throw away, and on occasion Grandpa would mow the area around the
towers.

Steve, that is pretty close to my story with WLW, though I never
actually "physically" sat in the studio.

My grandparents/greatparents built the first house in a area called
Pisgah, which is right down the road from - - at the time - WLW's
studio and their bad ass looking antenna emblazoned with the "WLW"
letters (still there and used) on it. Of course with the VOA Bethany
Shortwave Station right by it - it was unbelievable to see as a kid -
I had no idea what shortwave radio was when I was five/six yrs. old.

At night time it was nothing but lights and wires as far as you could
see and the power from the VOA overrode my dad's old car radio when he
pulled over to the side of the road - that's when it was explained to
me by my Dad what the VOA was about. That is pretty cool childhood
memories you have of there, I wish I could have sat in their studio as
a kid.

Old April 2nd 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Priest" wrote in message
Very cool site has the history of radio station WOWO 1190 AM; photos
of studios, transmitters and staff through the decades and audio clips
of station IDs, jingles and interviews. http://www.historyofwowo.com/

Don't they have some weather check from the famous WOWO fire escape?
Mike

Old April 2nd 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 2, 4:18*am, Gregg wrote:
On Apr 2, 4:00*am, dxAce wrote:

Priest wrote:
[...]

Huh! You guys are lucky - all I had was a measly two-bit 1,000 watt
station/xmtr in Gardner, Massachusetts - WGAW - to hang around at. We
used to visit with Bob Maddox while he did his evening pop program at
the station for the 10-or-so mile radius WGAW could normally reach.

It might have been more at night, but it was required to drop to 250
watts.

Bruce
Old April 2nd 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 2, 7:18*am, Gregg wrote:
On Apr 2, 4:00*am, dxAce wrote:

Priest wrote:
[...]

WLW actually transmitted 500,000 watts for a while!

http://www.crosleyradios.com/pdf/WLW...re-1935-LR.pdf

Old April 2nd 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just now saw on WJTV 5:00 PM tv news where a woman in
Holland,Michigan, somehow her car went airborne and her car landed at an
angle on some power pole guy wires/cables.
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 2, 3:24*pm, wrote:
I just now saw on WJTV 5:00 PM tv news where a woman in
Holland,Michigan, somehow her car went airborne and her car landed at an
angle on some power pole guy wires/cables.
cuhulin

There's just no accounting for what happens in Holland.

Legend of WOWO dies dxAce Shortwave 1 September 5th 07 03:34 PM
What's wrong with ham Tradition? Slow Code General 9 November 2nd 06 01:24 AM
What's wrong with ham Tradition? Slow Code Policy 9 November 2nd 06 01:24 AM
What's wrong with ham Tradition? [email protected] Swap 2 October 31st 06 03:13 AM
WOWO 1190 rumble? Ron Hardin Shortwave 59 April 28th 05 01:04 AM