Old April 24th 05, 06:35 PM
Ron Hardin

Default WOWO 1190 rumble?

WOWO 1190 Fort Wayne IN seems to have a low-frequency rumble in the
stereo difference channel, up to about 240 Hz.

It's audible if you listen to either sideband alone (with or without
sync detection) but inaudible if you listen to both sidebands, say
as normal AM or DSB sync detection.

I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it's still there.

They're 160 miles away, so maybe somebody closer can hear it better.

--
Ron Hardin

Old April 24th 05, 06:47 PM
dxAce

Ron Hardin wrote:

WOWO 1190 Fort Wayne IN seems to have a low-frequency rumble in the
stereo difference channel, up to about 240 Hz.

It's audible if you listen to either sideband alone (with or without
sync detection) but inaudible if you listen to both sidebands, say
as normal AM or DSB sync detection.

I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it's still there.

They're 160 miles away, so maybe somebody closer can hear it better.

Sounds OK here.

Former WOWO transmitter site 'lawn boy' on Grandpa's tractor.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 24th 05, 07:31 PM
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:

WOWO 1190 Fort Wayne IN seems to have a low-frequency rumble in the
stereo difference channel, up to about 240 Hz.

It's audible if you listen to either sideband alone (with or without
sync detection) but inaudible if you listen to both sidebands, say
as normal AM or DSB sync detection.

I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it's still there.

They're 160 miles away, so maybe somebody closer can hear it better.

Here's audio http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/wowo2.ram

the sound of a diesel engine idling.

Received sync detected LSB. It's _completely_ gone on AM or sync detected DSB.
Sounds the same on USB as LSB.

So, in other words, it's in the difference channel only.
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 25th 05, 12:05 AM
Telamon

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:

WOWO 1190 Fort Wayne IN seems to have a low-frequency rumble in the
stereo difference channel, up to about 240 Hz.

It's audible if you listen to either sideband alone (with or without
sync detection) but inaudible if you listen to both sidebands, say
as normal AM or DSB sync detection.

I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it's still there.

They're 160 miles away, so maybe somebody closer can hear it better.

Sounds OK here.

Former WOWO transmitter site 'lawn boy' on Grandpa's tractor.

All that RF must have made you into the DxAce you are today.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 25th 05, 12:12 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:

WOWO 1190 Fort Wayne IN seems to have a low-frequency rumble in the
stereo difference channel, up to about 240 Hz.

It's audible if you listen to either sideband alone (with or
without sync detection) but inaudible if you listen to both
sidebands, say as normal AM or DSB sync detection.

I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it's still there.

They're 160 miles away, so maybe somebody closer can hear it
better.

Here's audio http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/wowo2.ram

the sound of a diesel engine idling.

Received sync detected LSB. It's _completely_ gone on AM or sync
detected DSB. Sounds the same on USB as LSB.

So, in other words, it's in the difference channel only.

You are describing a case of power supply switch noise or power line
noise getting into the radio. DSB detection will have greater common
mode rejection than USB or LSB. Try some chokes on the power cord or
change the power supply. Find the thing in your house that is generating
the pulse noise on the AC mains.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 25th 05, 12:13 AM

I remember WOWO Fort Wayne,Indiana from when I lived in
Martinsville,Indiana in 1947,at least I think I do.Our school teacher's
name was Mrs.Rulein,a real nasty ugly looking big old fat mean old
hag,she was.I was in the second grade in school back then.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 12:16 AM

What is WOWO's frequency,is it on the AM/MW band? I think I will try to
tune in to WOWO tonight.I can sometimes pick up Evansville,Indiana at
night.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 02:10 AM

WOWO is 1190 on the AM/MW band? ok,thanks Tony,I will try to tune in
WOWO Fort Wayne,Indiana tonight.1190 is right next to 1180 AM in
Jackson,Mississippi in my area so I probally won't be able to pick up
WOWO tonight.Unless WOWO is a powerfull radio station.I often listen to
some radio talk shows on 1180 on the AM band here in Jackson.KMOX
St.Louis is coming in real good right now and I don't even have that old
off the wall brand name AM/FM/SW1/SW2/MB/AIR/POLICE band radio aimed
toward St.Louis,Missouri either.I am fixin to see if I can pick up WOWO
on that beat up old radio that I bought at a Goodwill thrift store for
only a few dollars years ago.I always prefer the old style analog radios
than those stupid always givin trouble new fangled digital radios.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 02:12 AM

Is WOWO a talk show radio station or a music station?
cuhulin