Old May 27th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default FS: Sony ICF-6800W AM/FM/SW Radio exc. cond! (Orange Version)

On 5/26/10 01:23 , Gregg wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:06 am, "D. Peter wrote:
On 4/13/10 09:40 , sctvguy1 wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

You could have mine. For the price, I'd rather get an HQ-145, HQ-180
or Collins. Big, ugly, and superb radios.

Bruce
I have a completely restored HQ-145. Some say it is not the best HQ, and
certainly not the equal of the HQ-180, but on AMBCDX, it is superb!

I've got a BC-794 Super Pro, one of the progenitors of the SP
line. Amazing AMBCDX. And with the variable bandwidth IF, before
NRSC II, delicious audio. In fact, the audio stage was configured to
be used as a phono amplifier when not receiving.

HQ-145 is a bit more modern than my own, but equally
representative of the attention to quality that Hammarlund was known
for. With that amazing sound.

And it will definitely keep the shack warm at night.

Peter, how often (hrs. in a week maybe) do you use that SP?

At least once a week. Sometimes much more. I don't have a precise
figure, but I'd say it averages 6-8 hours a week over a year.

More than I watch TV.

Is the SP
line really the holy grail of the Hammarlunds in your opinion.
Inquiring minds want to know.:-)

I can't say that. It's a fine rig. But I don't think of any radio
as a holy grail. That said, the SP line up to SP-400 was single
conversion. Very well done, but basic. SP-600 was dual conversion.

HQ was single conversion up to 180. The HQ-180 was triple
conversion. Better image rejection.

The SP line looked to be a VERY serious receiver. More robust
build than the HQ. But not necessarily a better performer.

What constitutes a holy grail is more likely a nostalgia
component than anything else.

Old March 4th 14, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:31:27 PM UTC-7, LukeP wrote:
I have a real "time capsule" condition Sony ICF-6800W (orange version)
SW radio. All lights working and not a scratch on front give or take
a couple of very small nicks that are only visible upon very, very,
close inspection. Includes power cord. Reception is excellent and I
was able to pull in numerous stations with just the rod antenna even
though I had the switch set to external. Once I switched it over I
was pulling in stations left and right. There are markings on back
where the original owner etched his license number. Asking $400 plus
postage. Picture is below and also I have included a link to
Universal Radio for info on this model:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hqxqj4.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../icf6800w.html

thanks,
JM

Hi,

Was this ever sold, or is it still available?

Y.N.
Old February 11th 15, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 10:31:27 PM UTC-4, LukeP wrote:
I have a real "time capsule" condition Sony ICF-6800W (orange version)
SW radio. All lights working and not a scratch on front give or take
a couple of very small nicks that are only visible upon very, very,
close inspection. Includes power cord. Reception is excellent and I
was able to pull in numerous stations with just the rod antenna even
though I had the switch set to external. Once I switched it over I
was pulling in stations left and right. There are markings on back
where the original owner etched his license number. Asking $400 plus
postage. Picture is below and also I have included a link to
Universal Radio for info on this model:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hqxqj4.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../icf6800w.html

thanks,
JM

Is this still for sale ? Thx

FS-SONY ICF-6800W ORANGE No Name Shortwave 0 July 2nd 09 01:06 PM
Sony ICF-6800W Orange ewcbob Shortwave 2 December 13th 07 01:56 PM
Sony icf 6800w orange user manual jono Shortwave 1 February 19th 07 10:11 AM
Sony ICF-6800W Chris Dorn Shortwave 4 January 25th 04 12:19 AM
FS: Sony ICF-6800W Carel Kuijer Shortwave 0 January 13th 04 07:47 PM