Old April 12th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Default FS: Sony ICF-6800W AM/FM/SW Radio exc. cond! (Orange Version)

I have a real "time capsule" condition Sony ICF-6800W (orange version)
SW radio. All lights working and not a scratch on front give or take
a couple of very small nicks that are only visible upon very, very,
close inspection. Includes power cord. Reception is excellent and I
was able to pull in numerous stations with just the rod antenna even
though I had the switch set to external. Once I switched it over I
was pulling in stations left and right. There are markings on back
where the original owner etched his license number. Asking $400 plus
postage. Picture is below and also I have included a link to
Universal Radio for info on this model:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hqxqj4.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../icf6800w.html

thanks,
JM
Old April 12th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 11, 10:31*pm, LukeP wrote:
I have a real "time capsule" condition Sony ICF-6800W (orange version)
SW radio. *All lights working and not a scratch on front give or take
a couple of very small nicks that are only visible upon very, very,
close inspection. Includes power cord. *Reception is excellent and I
was able to pull in numerous stations with just the rod antenna even
though I had the switch set to external. *Once I switched it over I
was pulling in stations left and right. *There are markings on back
where the original owner etched his license number. *Asking $400 plus
postage. *Picture is below and also I have included a link to
Universal Radio for info on this model:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hqxqj4.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../icf6800w.html

thanks,
JM

That is one sharp looking radio, if it receives as well as it looks -
I would wonder why someone would sell it.

Old April 12th 10, 06:38 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 11, 8:32*pm, Gregg wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31*pm, LukeP wrote:

[...]

I think the short answer is, He's not a Radio Buff - or else he has
too many or needs the money. My big question is, Is the price tag
(which somebody will probably pay) for actual performance or just for
cachet? It's real pretty, and it's a SONY, but is it as good as other
$400 radios?

Bruce
Old April 12th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:38:47 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen
wrote:

On Apr 11, 8:32*pm, Gregg wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31*pm, LukeP wrote:

[...]

Performance wise, I would buy the used R-75 that Universal is selling
for 419.00.

Jim
Old April 12th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On Apr 11, 8:32*pm, Gregg wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31*pm, LukeP wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I won't argue there - my R-75 is a peach!

Bruce

Old April 12th 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On Apr 11, 8:32 pm, wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

I think you've hit the real issue. Sony has always made some
interesting, if not particularly grand, radios. Performance is good
in their class, but there are usually better radios in those
classes. What Sony is good at is selling the cachet. Lots of eye
appeal, large feature set, decent audio,...some much better than
others..., even the Sony name, but in the end you have to look at
the class the radio performs in.

You can get much better performance...sensitivity, selectivity,
overload immunity, noise floor, or even audio performance...in other
radios, for the same money. Not as flashy. Not as recognizable, but
solid performers, for the same money you'd spend on the veneer of Sony.

There are those here who've lauded and magnified the name of
Grundig to the high peaks of Olympus by their experience with Sat
800. "The Finest Shortwave Radio in the World."

Ahem. Yes, well....

Put them in front of an R75 and, first, they'll question it's
lineage. Some who've lauded Grundig have never worked a radio out of
the consumer portatop class. They don't have an antenna capable of
getting the most out of R75. So, they don't see the intrinsic value
of a radio in the R75 class. And for them, R75 has nowhere near the
cachet of a Grundig. Or a Sony. So, what they buy is the cachet. And
in that mindset, not knowing what better performance in a radio can
be, 6800 Orange is a pinnacle receiver. While you, yourself, work
your R75, with better results and greater satisfaction, based in a
broader understanding of the fundaments of radio.

Or to frame it differently, you define acceptable performance
and select a receiver that meets your needs, regardless of the
veneer, while they buy a receiver from a brand they know, with the
veneer they like, and let the manufacturer define acceptable
performance.

Someone will definitely pay the $400 for the radio. But the
knowledgeable ones will spend that same money on a better, or higher
performance, receiver.

Old April 12th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

*wrote:
On Apr 11, 8:32 pm, *wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31 pm, *wrote:

[...]

performance, receiver.- Hide quoted text -

After all of this, I am sure poor Luke wishes he had never posted
here! :-D
Old April 12th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On Apr 11, 8:32 pm, wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it won't make any difference, either way.

Old April 12th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On Apr 11, 8:32 pm, wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

Peter hit it right on the money. it's a nice receiver, fair performer.
it's a classic, and very collectible. i have an "orange", in my
collection. i wouldn't want to even try to DX with it. but it is a
keeper. if i remember right, Mike, the radio expert, or what ever
he calls himself now, had 4 of these. vary nice to look at. some one
will snap that up at that price, and show it off at the office, den,
whatever. i hope he sells it fast, if i think about it too much,
i'll want it.

Drifter...

Old April 12th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On Apr 11, 8:32 pm, wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

FS-SONY ICF-6800W ORANGE No Name Shortwave 0 July 2nd 09 01:06 PM
Sony ICF-6800W Orange ewcbob Shortwave 2 December 13th 07 01:56 PM
Sony icf 6800w orange user manual jono Shortwave 1 February 19th 07 10:11 AM
Sony ICF-6800W Chris Dorn Shortwave 4 January 25th 04 12:19 AM
FS: Sony ICF-6800W Carel Kuijer Shortwave 0 January 13th 04 07:47 PM