Old April 19th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Do any of you non-hams have SWL QSLs that you share?

Just curious - anyone have these that they use for "QSLs", like "I'll
trade ya?" Am I even asking the right group this question?

Bruce
Old April 19th 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 18, 10:03*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
Just curious - anyone have these that they use for "QSLs", like "I'll
trade ya?" *Am I even asking the right group this question?

Bruce

I'm sure it's the right group. You mean like if I wanted a particular
QSL and I had one you didn't that we'd swap or make a color copy and
swap?
Old April 19th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 18, 11:22*pm, Gregg wrote:
On Apr 18, 10:03*pm, bpnjensen wrote:

Just curious - anyone have these that they use for "QSLs", like "I'll
trade ya?" *Am I even asking the right group this question?

Bruce

I'm sure it's the right group. You mean like if I wanted a particular
QSL and I had one you didn't that we'd swap or make a color copy and
swap?

Well, not exactly -

More like, if you hear a ham and cannot communicate back with him via
RF, or hear a nice little SW station in the Amazon who you think might
like a personal touch when he hears from you - and you could present
your confirmation of hearing his signal using a colorful little card.
I know these things are printed and made available to SWLs; I just
have no idea whether anybody actually uses them or how successful they
are.

If I was a ham, you can bet I'd have a mess of QSLs to share with
contacts - but I don't think these ever caught on with SWLs the same
way. Just checking to see if I am wrong... :-)

Bruce
Old April 19th 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes, SWL QSLs were HUGE in the 1950s and 1960s.

Popular Electronics and Electronics Illustrated even assigned "call letters"
to SWLs which they
used on very attractive cards.

I still use mine occasionally and even though I am a ham I still enjoy
sending out SWL cards. Stations
seem to like getting them too.

Do a search on the Internet for "WPE" and you'll probably see a lot of the
cards we used to
send around.

Old April 20th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 19, 3:22*pm, "Clive" wrote:
Yes, SWL QSLs were HUGE in the 1950s and 1960s.

Popular Electronics and Electronics Illustrated even assigned "call letters"
to SWLs which they
used on very attractive cards.

I still use mine occasionally and even though I am a ham I still enjoy
sending out SWL cards. Stations
seem to like getting them too.

Do a search on the Internet for "WPE" and you'll probably see a lot of the
cards we used to
send around.

That's great Clive - maybe I'll have a batch made and give 'em a
try...

Bruce

Old April 20th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
Just curious - anyone have these that they use for "QSLs", like "I'll
trade ya?" Am I even asking the right group this question?

Bruce

I'll QSL anyone who sends me an accurate report. SWLs are encouraged.
If you want a VOIDed blank QSL card, I'll grudgingly send you one.
Old April 20th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 20, 5:56*am, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
Just curious - anyone have these that they use for "QSLs", like "I'll
trade ya?" *Am I even asking the right group this question?

Bruce

I'll QSL anyone who sends me an accurate report. *SWLs are encouraged.
If you want a VOIDed blank QSL card, I'll grudgingly send you one.

No, thank you though - I'm all for getting 'em the honest way. I was
just wondering if anyone uses an SWL card as an "even Steven" swap
with a Ham/BC station when verifying an RX/TX. You know, just to be
"neighborly".