Old May 3rd 10, 12:24 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,alt.politics.usa,rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Correct Response...

On May 2, 3:27*pm, retrogrouch wrote:
On Sun, 2 May 2010 15:17:38 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen

wrote:

* *I was told this was required, in order to be in compliance with
the Patriot Act.

Well, that's pretty loopy - I can sort of understand if it was just to
guarantee that she'd be able to pay if the check rubberized, but -
Patriot Act? *I've never liked the Patriot Act anyway, and I didn't
even know this was in there.

Yecchh.

Yep. Any transactions totaling *over $10,000 needs a Patriot Act
report. My DENTIST is having to file these.

Better than filing teeth, I guess.
Old May 3rd 10, 04:50 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,alt.politics.usa,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

I was told this was required, in order to be in compliance with
the Patriot Act.

Well, that's pretty loopy - I can sort of understand if it was just to
guarantee that she'd be able to pay if the check rubberized, but -
Patriot Act? I've never liked the Patriot Act anyway, and I didn't
even know this was in there.

Yecchh.

Yep. Any transactions totaling over $10,000 needs a Patriot Act
report. My DENTIST is having to file these.

The dictates of the Washington regime have, with the wildly misnamed
"Patriot Act," finally taken away _all_ of our financial privacy,
which is a fundamental part of our personal privacy.

We have now reached the _end_ of the slippery slope which was begun
when the Income Tax amendment was fraudulently imposed on the
American people. (Fraudulently? Yes. It was sold to the people under
the pretense that the proposed tax would never be imposed on wages,
and would never need to exceed three per cent. even on the incomes
of millionaires. We were told that wages, being an equal exchange of
time and labor for an equivalent amount of money, did not result in
profit and therefore were _not_ income and would therefore never be
taxed. All these assurances were lies.)

That was the beginning of the pernicious concepts 1) that the
criminals in Washington had the right to _know_ what your "income"
was, and 2) that the criminals in Washington had the right to take
whatever percentage of that "income" they so chose. Both concepts
are utterly alien to any reasonable conception of freedom and to the
ideals of the founders.

With every good wish,

Kevin Alfred Strom.
--
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/
Old May 3rd 10, 01:09 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,alt.politics.usa,rec.radio.shortwave

On 5/2/2010 5:05 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

I was with my girlfriend, this weekend, when she bought a car. Simple
transaction...pick one out, write a check. Drive it home.

I was amazed to hear the business office tell her that she was required
to fill out a credit application for the transaction. Name, address, all
credit card and all bank account numbers were required. Rent payments,
utility payments, any other oblications. Employment history for the last
10 years, with names and phone numbers. Residential history for the last
10 years with names and phone numbers of landlords, mortgage companies.

And all sources of supplementary income.

When asked why the hell such detailed invasion of personal information
was necessary to write a check...why not just call the bank verify the
check and the amount, or hold it until it can be verified.

I was told this was required, in order to be in compliance with the
Patriot Act.

It could be worse, like in the bad old days, when they would give credit
to anyone that could fog a mirror.

Last year, I wrote a rather large check ( $10,000) for the entire
purchase price of a new Pontiac Solstice GXP...and no hassle, no holds,
just "Here are keys and the title and thank you very much".

P.S.
Thank your friends W and company for the "Patriot" Act.

Old May 3rd 10, 01:16 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,alt.politics.usa,rec.radio.shortwave

On 5/2/10 19:09 , Joe from Kokomo wrote:
[...]

This was not a loan. It was a full purchase by check.