Old June 10th 10, 08:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Africa this morning - 10 June 2010

African stations were thundering in here tonight (morning UTC, June
10) in droves - as long as you stayed above 9 Mhz. Outlets in Africa
South, Gabon (Afrique Numero Une), Botswana, Cyprus (sort of Africa),
Madagascar, Swaziland and even Egypt were all pretty potent on the
various upper bands, more than I have seen in quite awhile. Guinea,
OTOH, on 7125 was a weak carrier and nothing more, and the usual S.
African powerhouses on 41m were kaput. 49 meters was pretty washed
out, with only the North American outlets dong well (although Spain on
6055 was OK early evening well after the Spanish started at 0100;
before that it was nonexistent during the normal English hour).

I guess summer is here!

Bruce Jensen
Calfornia
Old June 10th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 10, 3:22*am, bpnjensen wrote:
African stations were thundering in here tonight (morning UTC, June
10) in droves - as long as you stayed above 9 Mhz. *Outlets in Africa
South, Gabon (Afrique Numero Une), Botswana, Cyprus (sort of Africa),
Madagascar, Swaziland and even Egypt were all pretty potent on the
various upper bands, more than I have seen in quite awhile. *Guinea,
OTOH, on 7125 was a weak carrier and nothing more, and the usual S.
African powerhouses on 41m were kaput. *49 meters was pretty washed
out, with only the North American outlets dong well (although Spain on
6055 was OK early evening well after the Spanish started at 0100;
before that it was nonexistent during the normal English hour).

I guess summer is here!

Bruce Jensen
Calfornia

Thanks for the heads up, Bruce! This is my last day of teaching before
a two week vacation begins. News like your's makes me want to start
wanting to listen to my radios. Try to share some specific logs, so we
can compare propagation in the Ohio Valley to that on the West Coast.

Mike
Louisville, KY
Old June 10th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 10, 8:49*am, Mike wrote:
[...]

I'll try, Mike - my main obstacle to writing logs on the PC is time,
as it requires a transfer from my hardcopy logbook at the radio (where
my PC is not). I'll try to put up the more interesting ones here.

Bruce
Old June 10th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 10, 12:17*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:49*am, Mike wrote:

[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Bruce,

I understand. My favorite way of DXing is with my wireless laptop
running on battery power. Almost no RFI, I can type the logs into the
laptop as soon as I hear them, and also be able to access the NASWA
Combined Schedules Excel sheets. My biggest problem is finding a way
to get my daughter out of the house, so I can keep her from vegging in
front of the RFI-producing TV. I'm already working on her "agenda" of
activities!

Mike
Louisville, KY

Old June 11th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:49:34 -0700 (PDT), Mike
wrote:

[...]

Here's a few logs from SE Michigan:
14234kHz 2358UT Guayaquil, Ecuador
14188kHz 0148UT San Salvador, El Salvador
14250kHz 2343UT Kaunas, Lithuania
14190kHz 0018UT Stabroek, Belgium
7131kHz 0111UT Turks & Caicos Islands
14200kHz 0116UT Aruba

These are amateur contacts but will say that conditions are improving
on higher frequencies - not so much midday but evenings are great for
N-S propagation and to Europe, Russia, Mideast too (up to 15MHz). Did
hear WWV fairly strong on 20 MHz this afternoon. Heard an aero mobile
(Airbus 300) over the Gulf of Mexico on 14226 at 0209UT just a few
minutes ago.

Jim