Old June 15th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default AOR UK is No More

On Jun 15, 6:12*am, dave wrote:
dxAce wrote:

Just another no-coder. They might just as well give away the ticket nowadays
in a box of Cracker Jack.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

- You represent everything bad about Amateur Radio.
-*People like you scare young people away from the hobby.

Nah Dave in the 21st Century 'pocket' sized Cellular
Phones have made World Wide Communications so
very easy and non-technical that to today's young
people Amateur Radio has lost it's mystic and a
certain je ne sais quoi that it had in the pre-1950s.

Then can along the Boy's Pocket Transistor Radio
and Amateur Radio has been in a decline every since.
http://home.ca.inter.net/~hagelin/BoysRadio-1.jpg

Next the CB Craze made Talking-on-Da-Radio
an 'act' that any Good Buddy could do.

Followed by the Personal Computer Age and the
youth had a new set of their own technologies to
grow and adventure in.

And now we are in the Age-of-the-Internet INTERNET !
where you to can control the multi channel audio and
the full spectrum video : My Space is your space and
You-Tube has replaced the Boob-Tube; then Twitter
over to Face-Book or simply Google yourself . . .

yes kids - you can have it your way in the 4G'esus
of your very own hands ~ RHF
http://blog1.ebates.com/ebates/alfre...-to-solder.jpg
Old June 15th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 15, 5:24*am, m II wrote:
dave wrote:
You can get a nice SDR-IQ black box, a laptop, a USB sound card, and a
nice set of active speakers for less than an R8B. *better performance, too.

This seems to be a good example of such an item.

http://www.scannermaster.com/SDR_IQ_.../43-501312.htm

mike

Mike [M II],

Many would still ask . . . Where's the Knob ?

For many old time Shortwave Listeners (SWLs)

Listening to the Radio had a certain 'feel' to it.

Plus Turning-the-Knob on a Radio with an
Analog Dial/Scale often brought the awe
and joy of 'discovery' to the Radio Listener.

While keying in a Frequency Number or
having the Computer Scan and Log lacks
the 'bond' between a Man and His Radio.

from an age when people knew that
real radios 'glowed' in the dark ~ RHF
{and a young boy's eyes were wide with
amazement far into the wee hours of the
morning}
Old June 15th 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

"panoramic support of communication receivers

I should be ashamed of myself.

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/panoramict100/index.html
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=17291.0

I've heard Panoramic also used to refer to a type of stereo emulating
broadcast, but I wasn't paying attention. The details went in one ear
and out the other, so that claim may be out to lunch.

mike
Old June 15th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 16/06/2010 6:32 AM, RHF wrote:
On Jun 15, 5:24 am, m wrote:
dave wrote:
You can get a nice SDR-IQ black box, a laptop, a USB sound card, and a
nice set of active speakers for less than an R8B. better performance, too.

This seems to be a good example of such an item.

http://www.scannermaster.com/SDR_IQ_.../43-501312.htm

mike

Mike [M II],

Many would still ask . . . Where's the Knob ?

For many old time Shortwave Listeners (SWLs)

Listening to the Radio had a certain 'feel' to it.

The word you're looking for is "mystique".

Plus Turning-the-Knob on a Radio with an
Analog Dial/Scale often brought the awe
and joy of 'discovery' to the Radio Listener.

I got that from the first crystal set I built. I was amazed at how
something so simple could pull in radio stations from far away, and that
wasn't even shortwave! I didn't even consider the deficiencies of the
medium such as lack of selectivity. I would listen for hours even when
the content of the programs was lacking, such was my fascination with
the medium.

While keying in a Frequency Number or
having the Computer Scan and Log lacks
the 'bond' between a Man and His Radio.

It depends upon the era you grew up in. To the tech savvy kids of today,
keying in a frequency number is as natural as keying in a phone number
on their cell phones.

from an age when people knew that
real radios 'glowed' in the dark ~ RHF
{and a young boy's eyes were wide with
amazement far into the wee hours of the
morning}
.

I'm betting there was a lot more interesting stuff to listen to in those
days! TV has had a degenerative effect on the mystique of far flung
cultures. Why listen to it on the radio when you can see it all on the
news or the documentary channels. Kids these days just don't see the
point of shortwave radio. They want high definition 3D realism. That and
the total lack of patience with anything that isn't 100% perfect and
totally store bought. Fading dx signals, no time for that! You have to
build it before you can use it? Get outta here!!

You would have more success with kids from third world countries than
you would with kids from our tech-savvy world.

Krypsis

Old June 15th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
Many would still ask . . . Where's the Knob ?

What's a knob?

Seriously, kids today don't like knobs. They like push buttons and touchpads.

For many old time Shortwave Listeners (SWLs)

Listening to the Radio had a certain 'feel' to it.

Which is why I have lots of radios with knobs. In fact in the last 5 years,
I've bought 3 radios with PTO's and restrung the dial cord and relamped a
fourth.

But will my kids like them? Will they use them? probably not.

They are too spoiled by either picking up a phone and calling anyone in
the world (most places they would ever call are included in a montly plan
so they "free") or if they don't want to get up off their chair and pause
their "computing" using SKYPE.

TV comes directly to their TV on a cable connected to a DBS dish, and if
they don't like the programs that are one, there is a large library
accessable locally and almost an infinte choice on the internet.

Plus Turning-the-Knob on a Radio with an Analog Dial/Scale often brought
the awe and joy of 'discovery' to the Radio Listener.

I am sorry to say it, but the current generation has been spoon fed so
much awe and discovery that they are not interested in looking for themselves.
Ask my kids to define discovery and they will answer "channel 34". :-(

While keying in a Frequency Number or having the Computer Scan and Log lacks
the 'bond' between a Man and His Radio.

It's what I call the "Dancing Bear Phenomeon". We were impressed by a
dancing bear. Our kids have seen so many they are concerend with the
quality of the dance.

For example, I recentyly aquired a Drake SPR-4. IMHO it is the worst ergonmic
design I have ever used. To tune a frequency, you have to set the band switch
to the correct band (within 500kHz). Then reading the little numbers off of the
band switch, there is a SECOND band switch (really front end filters) that needs
to be set. Once that is set, you adjust the preselector. A hint is on the bottom
of the numbers on the band switch.

Then you can tune in your frequency. On the AM BCB the preselector has to be
retuned every 50kHz or so.

I love it, I even invested in colored LEDs to replace burnt out light bulbs
with fading filters.

If I want my kids to listen, it either has to be a channel they can enter,
a file location they can browse, or a URL. If I'm lucky it they will turn
a volume control if it does not have a remote.

IMHO sad. But that's the price of progress. When my mother was their age,
her mother owned a candy store and had the only telephone on the block.
People used to call neighbors at the store, my mom and her sisters would get
a small tip to run and get them.

When I was growing up, we had a telephone. We could make local calls only,
a one minute call across the country cost enough to buy hamburgers, fries
and 'shakes for 10 at the burger joint across the street from my highschool.

from an age when people knew that real radios 'glowed' in the dark ~ RHF
{and a young boy's eyes were wide with amazement far into the wee hours
of the morning}.

Sexist. My wife used to do the same with old tube AM radios he father would
fish out of the trash. When we met she had a Sony IFC-2010 and knew how
to use it. :-)

Geoff.

I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.

Old June 16th 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6/15/2010 6:24 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
RHF wrote:
[...]

Lucky you. I would call the Lady a keeper.

Drifter...

Old June 16th 10, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 15, 9:12*am, dave wrote:
dxAce wrote:

Just another no-coder. They might just as well give away the ticket nowadays
in a box of Cracker Jack.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

You represent everything bad about Amateur Radio. *People like you scare
young people away from the hobby.

Of course, the flip side of this is figuring out just how watered down
and popularized we're willing to make the hobby in order to attract
"young people". In my opinion, if young people don't want to come to
the party, let them go elsewhere. I'll be too busy on the radio to
notice.
Old June 16th 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:
Of course, the flip side of this is figuring out just how watered down
and popularized we're willing to make the hobby in order to attract
"young people". In my opinion, if young people don't want to come to
the party, let them go elsewhere. I'll be too busy on the radio to
notice.

Unfortunately, at least in the US, Amateur Radio was a "service" and afforded
a lot of legal protection and privleges.

For example, you don't see a PRB-1 for CB or FRS. We don't have that and have
to register any antennas where we transmit an average of over 20 watts
(based on a 24 hour average).

You don't pay for licenses. ( I just paid $10 a year for a 4 year renewal).

You don't have to get a permit every time you buy a transmitter.

Eventually as enough "old people" die off, and "young people" go elsewhere,
even in the US Amateur Radio will go from a service to a hobby.

I remember the wonderful results when UPS wanted 220-222mHz for a nationwide
digital network. It disappeared faster from ham radio than you could say
"drop my package".

Ironicaly they never used it, but it was not given back.

How much longer is it going to be that the biggest ham radio company in the
US is MFJ? How many ham radio stores are there in your neighborhood.

I'm in a country the size of New Jersey and we have NONE!!!

Old June 16th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

As a younger person (25 in July), I must say that I actually have to
agree with the fact that it's the knobs that make SWL fun. There's
just a sort of thrill of the hunt you get when you're slowly turning
through a band "stalking" a signal and there's the thrill of
"conquest" once you've pulled something in. If I had a newer radio
where you could just punch in a frequency, I don't think I would
listen NEARLY as often as I do.
Old June 16th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 16, 9:39*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

(snip)

Eventually as enough "old people" die off, and "young people" go elsewhere,
even in the US Amateur Radio will go from a service to a hobby.

(snip)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM
I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.

Good points all. I agree with you that ham radio in the US might
become a "hobby" rather than a "service", and one thing that could
bring this about is failure to recruit enough young people. Another
thing that could bring it about, though, is watering down the hobby to
the point where it can no longer provide the kind of service that it
once did. Some (not all, but some) young hams entering the hobby
simply purchase an ht, connect to echolink and never give the rest of
the hobby a second thought. Is that the future that young people will
bring to ham radio? If that's the "service" we will one day provide,
why bother? We already have the internet. And cell phones. I'd rather
see ham radio die an honorable death now than suffer through this
death of a thousand compromises.