Old June 18th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default No response needed

Paul Briskette wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:09:32 -0500, amdx wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
amdx wrote:
I just want the world to know.

MY FIRST POINT, don't do anything that will affect the financial
viability
of BP. You should encourage purchase of BP fuel, you need to keep BP
healthy
so the stock price can rise, this makes BP stronger so it can continue
to pay cleanup crews and claims.

You gotta be kidding me.

BP is not going to clean this up. Obama is not going to clean this up.
A dozen hurricanes is not going to clean this up.

That's not what I see from the marina I'm on, Every morning 30 to 50
boats
leave on oil patrol. If they see anything they have pads, booms and
equipment
to clean it up. They are getting paid well, a small boat owner is
getting $250,000
a year, a bigger boat could get $750,000. Their fuel and expenses are
paid by BP.
This is 3 to 10 times more than these fishermen ever earned in their
life.
I agree, Obama will not clean it up. He is clueless.

Great! This is working out sooo well that perhaps we should do this to
the California coast! I like how it's worked out for Alaska, Thank you
Sarah!

Stop eating fish, kill-em off then scoop em out!

Shrimpers normally make near $10K a week this time of year.
Old June 19th 10, 09:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 18, 10:33*pm, "amdx" wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

. ..

Paul Briskette wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:09:32 -0500, amdx wrote:

*wrote in message
om...
amdx wrote:
[...]

* Where at? What size boat? How many in the crew.

*Here in Panama City, where we have a bay and many of the boats only work
the bay.
Occasionally these boats will go out the pass and work in the gulf, when the
bay shrimp
get to small or are not showing. An example of one local shrimper, a 30ft
boat, captain and
1 or 2 deckhands.. Leave the dock at about 6pm get back about 8:30 am
get unloaded by 9:30, lately about 250 lbs of shrimp, sorted in two or three
sizes.
*Prices are up a little now but, prices would run between $2.30 and $3.10
per lb.
*So say an average of $2.70 an lb. *That's $675, fuel will be at least $150,
deckhand,
we'll say $90, slip rent $10 a day. $675-$250 = $425 a day times 5 days is
$2,125
a week. This does not include any maintenance of the boat which is
substantial *even
though much of the labor is done by the owner, a low guess, say 20%. Now we
are down under
$2,000 a week. I have seen nights with 37 lb and I have seen 500 lb nights.
The bay boat
shrimpers generally only can work about 6 months a year. The shrimp are only
in the bay
certain months. It is also rare to see these shrimpers actually work five
nights a week.
* There is a 42 ft boat that probably does better, but he cherry picks and
only runs when
the shrimp are plentiful, he could possibly, maybe, GROSS $10,000 a week for
a few weeks.
*We also have 65 ft or 70 ft freezer boats that go long distances in the
gulf, for three week
trips the may get 10,000 lbs, sometimes more. *That's $27,000 or $9,000 a
week gross.
This boat a has a crew of four and captain, I'd guess at least $3,000 in
wages and then add fuel
*and the income shrinks considerably.
* It has been my experience in the last 10 years that shrimpers are always
complaining that there
is no money, and that the wholesalers and retailers make all the money. I
think they are right.
*Anyway $10,000 a week, * Where at? What size boat? How many in the crew?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Mike- Hide quoted text -

Good post. Those skippers and crew on Deadliest Catch, now they can
make some serious money. Sadly, this Tues. show will be where Capt.
Phil goes down. That's pretty sad. You know he's been dead for three
months maybe - but it's like he's still alive seeing him on the show.
Sorry to go somewhat OT.

Response to SC Roadrunner NNTP Antenna 8 November 1st 06 02:49 AM
Response to SC Roadrunner NNTP Equipment 8 November 1st 06 02:49 AM
Response to SC Roadrunner NNTP Homebrew 9 November 1st 06 02:49 AM
Response to SC Merlin-7 KI4ILB Shortwave 3 October 30th 06 03:14 AM
Can't get a response Brokebob Homebrew 6 November 18th 03 09:07 PM