Old July 3rd 10, 09:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RNZI on 6170 @ 0730 UTC

NEW ZEALAND. 6170, RNZI, Rangitaiki, at 0730 UTC, in
English on July 3. Program of retro music with frequent
ID's. One song was "Those Were the Days". Propagating
very strongly this morning. Coming in like a local on
three different receivers - Sony ICF-2010, Eton E5, and
Grundig G3 - only using the bulit-in antenna rods on all
three. (Mike Bryant, Louisville, KY)

Disclaimer for Lare and Gregg - I am obviously not
claiming this as DX, just noting propagation with a
log....so save you petty attacks!
Old July 3rd 10, 12:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 3, 1:09*am, Mike wrote:
NEW ZEALAND. 6170, RNZI, Rangitaiki, at 0730 UTC, in
English on July 3. Program of retro music with frequent
ID's. One song was "Those Were the Days". Propagating
very strongly this morning. Coming in like a local on
three different receivers - Sony ICF-2010, Eton E5, and
Grundig G3 - only using the bulit-in antenna rods on all
three. (Mike Bryant, Louisville, KY)

- Disclaimer for Lare and Gregg - I am obviously not
- claiming this as DX, just noting propagation with a
- log....so save you petty attacks!

MWB here I thought that "DX" meant 'Distance'

Distance from Auckland NZ to Louisville KY
Distance is 13148 KiloMeters
-or- 8171 Miles
-or- 7100 Nautical Miles

roughly a 1/3 of the way around the world
sure do sound like 'dx' to me ~ RHF
Old July 3rd 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/07/2010 12:01 AM, dave wrote:
Mike wrote:
NEW ZEALAND. 6170, RNZI, Rangitaiki, at 0730 UTC, in
English on July 3. Program of retro music with frequent
ID's. One song was "Those Were the Days".

Cream or Mary Hopkin?

Mary Hopkin, definitely and without a doubt! Dragged out an old LP just
to hear her voice again singing that song!!

Never liked the Cream version. Odd style!

They still play Mary's old song on the radio here every now and then!
That said, AM station 3MP was one of the stations that played this sort
of music and I notice, with quite some dismay, that it is going to the
"talk radio" format!!!!!

http://radionews.com.au/?p=2983

AM seems to be relegated to either talk, sport or cultural formats these
days. 3MP was pretty much the last holdout! The FM stations just don't
have quite the same mix as 3MP.

Krypsis

Old July 3rd 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike wrote:
NEW ZEALAND. 6170, RNZI, Rangitaiki, at 0730 UTC, in
English on July 3. Program of retro music with frequent
ID's. One song was "Those Were the Days".

Cream or Mary Hopkin?

Mary Hopkin, definitely and without a doubt! Dragged out an old LP just
to hear her voice again singing that song!!

Never liked the Cream version. Odd style!

They still play Mary's old song on the radio here every now and then!
That said, AM station 3MP was one of the stations that played this sort
of music and I notice, with quite some dismay, that it is going to the
"talk radio" format!!!!!

http://radionews.com.au/?p=2983

AM seems to be relegated to either talk, sport or cultural formats these
days. 3MP was pretty much the last holdout! The FM stations just don't
have quite the same mix as 3MP.

I've an LP here by Mary Hopkin (Apple Records) entitled Earth Song/Ocean Song.
My favourite tune on it is 'Streets of London'.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 3rd 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

roughly a 1/3 of the way around the world
sure do sound like 'dx' to me ~ RHF
.

The part over water doesn't count
Old July 3rd 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 3, 7:43*am, RHF wrote:
On Jul 3, 1:09*am, Mike wrote:

NEW ZEALAND. 6170, RNZI, Rangitaiki, at 0730 UTC, in
English on July 3. Program of retro music with frequent
ID's. One song was "Those Were the Days". Propagating
very strongly this morning. Coming in like a local on
three different receivers - Sony ICF-2010, Eton E5, and
Grundig G3 - only using the bulit-in antenna rods on all
three. (Mike Bryant, Louisville, KY)

- Disclaimer for Lare and Gregg - I am obviously not
- claiming this as DX, just noting propagation with a
- log....so save you petty attacks!

MWB here I thought that "DX" meant 'Distance'

Distance from Auckland NZ to Louisville KY
Distance is 13148 KiloMeters
-or- 8171 Miles
-or- 7100 Nautical Miles

roughly a 1/3 of the way around the world
sure do sound like 'dx' to me ~ RHF
*.

Difficulty of reception factors into whether a log
is considered DX, RHF. Australia is even further
away, but I don't consider 9580 in the local
mornings to be true DX. It booms in like a local
station. Now, Australian broadcasts on 13630
or 11660 in the middle of the local afternoon are
considered DX, in my opinion.

Mike
Old July 3rd 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 3, 10:01*am, dave wrote:
Mike wrote:
NEW ZEALAND. 6170, RNZI, Rangitaiki, at 0730 UTC, in
English on July 3. Program of retro music with frequent
ID's. One song was "Those Were the Days".

Cream or Mary Hopkin?

Definitely, Mary Hopkins. I hadn't heard that recording in
years but remember hearing it all the time when I was a child.

Mike
Old July 3rd 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael W. "I'm a college professor with a PhD" Bryant wrote:

On Jul 3, 7:43 am, RHF wrote:
On Jul 3, 1:09 am, Mike wrote:

[...]

Hey, clown 'tard, your 'opinion' no longer matters.

Best you just hunker down in your 'KGB master control center' and wait for the
big one.

LMFAO at the clown 'tard academic who once thought he had a PhD.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 5th 10, 12:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 3, 8:04*am, Mike wrote:
On Jul 3, 10:01*am, dave wrote:

Mike wrote:
NEW ZEALAND. 6170, RNZI, Rangitaiki, at 0730 UTC, in
English on July 3. Program of retro music with frequent
ID's. One song was "Those Were the Days".

Cream or Mary Hopkin?

- Definitely, Mary Hopkins.
- I hadn't heard that recording in years
- but remember hearing it all the time
- when I was a child.
-
- Mike

"Those Were the Days" (Song & History)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_W...ays_%28song%29
-in- Russian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1UKbyPRHs
-just-the- Music by itself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qizPLgwfzJA
-and- French "Le Temps des Fleurs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc4FuJb434A

strange for whatever reasons - i remember the foreign
language versions better than the english pop-hit ~ RHF

but then... i remember Nino Rota more for the
'original' Music from La Strada then for what
some say was a re-write in The Godfather
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtD1PVkY-pg

RNZI download.com Shortwave 2 March 4th 07 11:55 AM
7460khz at 0730 GMT Kachina 78 Shortwave 4 October 21st 04 06:52 AM
RNZI Brian Shortwave 3 March 21st 04 08:32 AM
RNZI 2nd antenna & SW transmitter proposal... http://cbc.am/rnzi.htm http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 0 October 25th 03 08:24 AM
RNZI off the air Mike Terry Shortwave 4 September 2nd 03 03:39 PM