Old November 30th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Now that the dust has settled, why was the Eton E1XM really dropped?

What would be a good price buying a refurbished one?

Exactly what were the top three main reasons it was discontinued?

Should I seek out one? Or just be happy with my Sony 2010 which works
fine.

If I can find a new one, or a refurbished one for $300.00 would that
be a good deal?
Old November 30th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/30/10 12:20 , Alexander O'Neil wrote:

Exactly what were the top three main reasons it was discontinued?

Eton isn't saying, directly. I've asked. Only got a confirmation
that it was being discontinued. Nothing more.

The reason a radio comes out of production, especially this
radio, can be wide and varied. Low sales usually tops the list. This
is an expensive radio to produce. There simply may not have been
sufficient interest to keep the line alive.

In the case of this particular radio, parts availability had
stalled production for more than a decade. The processor chip, in
particular, discontinued prior to production as Sat 900, was quite a
seemingly insurmountable problem.

A similar snag in chip availability would require a retooling of
the motherboard, which, given low sales would be cost prohibitive.

Then, again, the radio was in production for a couple of years.
That's a long run for some models with mediocre sales. The
production strategy may simply have run its course.

But, until Eton speaks definitively on the subject, ANY
conversation is strictly speculative.

Should I seek out one? Or just be happy with my Sony 2010 which works
fine.

One cannot have TOO many radios.

If I can find a new one, or a refurbished one for $300.00 would that
be a good deal?

The Eton line is not known for robust support. Or support with
mulitiple options. There is no service data published for this
radio. And parts availability is limited to items that may be self
serviced without technical expertise, like antennae, knobs,
adaptors, and external components. Before you buy, verify that 1)
YOU are capable of servicing this radio, or 2) that factory support
exists.

As to price....that's entirely a matter of your desire to own
one. $300 was a street retail price new. A refurb, or NOS should be
prices less.

Old December 1st 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 30, 1:20*pm, Alexander O'Neil wrote:
What would be a good price buying a refurbished one?

Exactly what were the top three main reasons it was discontinued?

Should I seek out one? Or just be happy with my Sony 2010 which works
fine.

If I can find a new one, or a refurbished one for $300.00 would that
be a good deal?

My theory: There were plenty of people willing to spend the money, but
not that many willing to drink the Kool-Aid.
Old December 1st 10, 07:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 30, 10:20*am, Alexander O'Neil
wrote:
What would be a good price buying a refurbished one?

Exactly what were the top three main reasons it was discontinued?

Should I seek out one? Or just be happy with my Sony 2010 which works
fine.

If I can find a new one, or a refurbished one for $300.00 would that
be a good deal?

A Shortwave Radio as very good {exceptional} as
the Eton "E1" with the XM 'Satellite' Option being
distributed by the Eton Corp {Grundig NA] and
using the "Eton" Brand Name -imho- Would not
sell as well as a the same Shortwave Radio using
the "Grundig: and "Satellit" Brand Names without
the XM 'Satellite' Option*

* Since by using the true Grundig "Satellit" Brand
Name Eton Corp would not have to try an end-around
by offereing an XM 'Satellite' Option in order to work
the name 'Satellit'e into the product name.

Had the Eton "E1" with the XM 'Satellite' Option
been named the Grundig Satellit 900 Radio it's
sales would have been significantly greater; simply
because of the Grundig Satellit Brand Name and
the 'myth' of the soon-to-be {but-never-was} Grundig
Satellit 900 Radio.

But then too look at the Grundig Satellit 800-M Radio
which only had a 3~5 Year Production Run.

Consumer Electronics* is a 1~3~5 Product Churn
Market with a constant need to be offering some
thing that is New and Impoved {Exciting} to Capture
the Buyer's Interest and Imagination in a Highly
Competitive Market Place.

* The Latest Toy with the Most Bells and Whistles
$500 Shortwave Radio = $500 Lap-Top = $500 HDTV etc...

The death of the Eton 'E1' Shortwave Radio was the
introduction of the Grundig Satellit 750 Shortwave
Radio -by- Eton Corp : In with the latest new and
exciting -and- out with the old . . .

Sad fact is more people under the age of 25 in the
USA know who Joe Biden is; than have heard of
Shortwave Radio. Shortwave Radio is a dying
{some say dead} Consumer Electronics Market.

Hey . . . may be Apple with be coming out with
an iWave Radio . . . n a h . . . ~ RHF
Old December 2nd 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

*.
*.

Don't compare apples with oranges!

Old December 2nd 10, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:

[...]

Arthrny,

How Do You Define An Apple ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e5754a3c647174

What Are You Calling Oranges ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e5754a3c647174

Eton E1 [XM] Radio make in India
and imported by Eton Corp.

Grundig Satellite 800-M Radio make in China
and imported by Eton Corp.

Grundig Satellite 750 Radio make in China
and imported by Eton Corp.

= = = Eton Corp = The Apple"

The Oranges . . .
Grundig Satellite 800-M Radio
Eton E1 [XM] Radio
Grundig Satellite 750 Radio

The Tree = All 'Not' Make In The USA [.]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhUlP4wiAQo

and that is how i see* it ~ RHF
* fruit-of-the-loom . . .
https://www.geotees.eu/shop/images/f...f-the-loom.jpg
Old December 3rd 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Don't compare apples with oranges!

On Dec 2, 8:08*am, dave wrote:
wrote:
* .
* .

Don't compare apples with oranges!

They're both about the size and shape of a baseball. They're both
edible. They both have seeds and both grow on trees. You can make juice
and cleaning solutions from either.

The answer is: no. Again:no. And the third time: no. They both vary in
size,from very,very tiny to some truly oversized monsters.Not all
apples are edible,the wild apples may be not just extremely sour but
poisonous as well ! Not all oranges seem to have seeds (must be
genetic mutilation involved). Juice-ok,agreed.And lastly- cleaning
solutions ? Don't know. Never tried. How about apple-based liquor and
orange-derived cognac ? I think (guess) S.Comfort has both as
ingredients.
Old December 5th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

churro burro, I don'ts wants no churros.
Certainly, there are some Wetback restaurants in Jackson, probally just
like the ones in your area.The Wetback (Mexican) restaurants in Mexico
are not like the Wetback (Mexican) restaurants in America.The food is
different too.
I have never been to any Wetback (Mexican) restaurants in America.I
aints going to them either.
chupracabra churro burro.
cuhulin

Eton E1XM swap for... brack Shortwave 0 April 3rd 10 03:26 PM
Eton E1-XM is NOT being dropped. [email protected] Shortwave 1 January 12th 08 07:55 AM
FS: Eton E1XM Kevin Nathan Shortwave 0 June 3rd 07 11:17 PM
Eton E1XM for sale [email protected] Shortwave 0 November 29th 05 04:59 AM
Eton E1XM Radio "News & Info" / Who has the Eton E1 XM Radio "For Sale" ? / Locating an Eton E1 XM Radio to Buy ! RHF Shortwave 0 August 16th 05 03:37 AM