Old December 28th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Shortwave is doing great

I listen to the world news everyday, I listen to local music from far away
countries and I enjoy my radios.

Some people who want to say shortwave is dead maybe don't spend the time to
put up a nice antenna or a good ground or work at fine tuning.

To me now for sixty years I have enjoyed shortwave and sure hope I can enjoy
many more years of being well informed about news of the world.
--

Burr's Radio Shack

Red Mountain, California / Bulacan, Philippines

Shortwave Receivers :

Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium

Drake SW8

Uniden BC895XLT & 245XLT

Grundig Yacht Boy 400

Antennas:

Long Wire Sloping "L"

Stoner Dymek DA100D

Discone Antenna

I'm a member of The Tea Party, I VOTE

Old December 29th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi John, I am curious about the trees in front of your home, what are hey? I
also see you are surrounded by mountains, does that disturb your SWL
activities? I was using google earth, you probably guessed. Just Curious.

"John Plimmer" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Dec 28, 12:44 am, "Burr" wrote:
I listen to the world news everyday, I listen to local music from far away
countries and I enjoy my radios.

Some people who want to say shortwave is dead maybe don't spend the time
put up a nice antenna or a good ground or work at fine tuning.

To me now for sixty years I have enjoyed shortwave and sure hope I can
enjoy
many more years of being well informed about news of the world.
--

Burr's Radio Shack

I agree with you Burr - SW is great down here at the Southern tip of
Afrika.
Lots of major broadcasters beaming in good English programming every
day.
I was surprised to hear even Ireland relaying SW programming here =
great listening.

How ever I must agree with those living in Europe and N. America that
the pickings are slim there. On trips there this year I was
disappointed at the lack of SW in those developed countries. However
the ham bands are very active in those areas and MW DXing is also
fabulous in N. America. so radio is by no means dead.

Have fun and good DX

John Plimmer, Montagu, Cape Province, South Africa
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600, Perseus SDR
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Redsun RP2100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Grundig G8, Eton E100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old December 30th 10, 06:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

have you tried putting up a "Baloon Antenna?

--
Burr
Big, Lean, Mean and Clean.

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
On Dec 29, 8:10 pm, "Just Curious" wrote:
Hi John, I am curious about the trees in front of your home, what are hey?
also see you are surrounded by mountains, does that disturb your SWL
activities? I was using google earth, you probably guessed. Just Curious.

They are just decorative small trees planted all a long the street by
the municipality for shade and ornamentation.

Yes, my house is at 236 meters high and the mountains tower 1400
meters above me (770/4600ft).
So effectively the low angle far off DX signals get blocked and
reception in Montagu is awful.
Hence my going to the coast twice a year at the equinoxes for special
"sea gain" effect super DXing.

JP