Old January 1st 11, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default "New" Satellit 800 testing

Perhaps this is a strange question but how does one test the
performance of a radio receiver? I can easily listen to AM B'cast and
FM but since SW frequencies are more sensitive to times of the day,
what is the standard? Let me preface this by saying I've not done any
SWL activities in YEARS and just bought this receiver on a whim ($
burning hole in pocket etc etc etc) . Is WWV the best standard to use
for SW frequencies? Help the new "kid" please! (We'll get into
antennae later)!
Old January 2nd 11, 09:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 1, 5:21*am, powerdoc wrote:
Perhaps this is a strange question but how does one test the
performance of a radio receiver? *I can easily listen to AM B'cast and
FM but since SW frequencies are more sensitive to times of the day,
what is the standard? *Let me preface this by saying I've not done any
SWL activities in YEARS and just bought this receiver on a whim ($
burning hole in pocket etc etc etc) . *Is WWV the best standard to use
for SW frequencies? *Help the new "kid" please! *(We'll get into
antennae later)!

?Q? o you have the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium
AM/FM Shortwave Radio's User Manual -here-
http://www.radiolabs.com/downloads/m...S800manual.pdf

1st - Place the GS800M Radio in front-of /next-to
an outside-looking Window.

2nd - Extend the Whip Antenna fully fully fully :
The GS800M' Whip Antenna has Two Tips
Middle Tip has 7-Sections
Plus Top Tip has another 6-Sections
Tilt the Whip Antenna at 45 Degrees

-here-is-a-'tip'- Make sure that the Shortwave Antenna
{Select} Switch at the rear of the Radio is set-in the
"Whip" Position : Figure #1 & #2 & Page 15

3rd - As you have indicated try the WWV/WWVH
and Test the Frequency on 2,500 kHz; 5,000 kHz;
10,000 kHz; and may be 15, 000 kHz.
* Check-it-out- AM & AM+SYNC plus LSB &USB
* Listen to the 'Sound' coming from the Filters at :
6, 4 & 2.3 kHz
* Observe the S-Meter readings at : +&- 5 kHz
and +&- 10 kHz from WWV/WWVH Frequencies