Old March 6th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Which NRD option to add

Did you look inside the receiver to know for sure which modules are
installed ?

Isurely did.
The ECSS is empty as well as the BWC, both options.
Serial: 596 XX
wrote in message
On Mar 6, 3:16 am, "Larry" wrote:
NRD-535 STOCK
Mostly listen to Utility stations therefore which would be the best to
install: the ECSS board or the BWC unit (continuous bandwidth control)?
LARRY

From what I recall, there were several production changes. It is
important to establish which version is in your hands first (serial
number) . Did you look inside the receiver to know for sure which
modules are installed ?

database 5931 (20110306) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5931 (20110306) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 6th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it
loses sync, which it does often.

That's what I just read. Apparently even moving the bandpass unlocks it.)
Sure don't need or want that howling.
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
bpnjensen wrote:
True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it
loses
sync, which it does often.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

Old March 6th 11, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 3:16*am, "Larry" wrote:
NRD-535 STOCK
Mostly listen to Utility stations therefore which would be the best to
install: the ECSS board or the BWC unit (continuous bandwidth control)?
LARRY

I used to own an NRD-535 with both options. The BWC option is the way
to go. The ECSS is only so-so.
Old March 6th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sounds like the only way to go. Thanks
I also have an NRD-525 stock and it's about to get the Kiwa audio upgrade as
well as the rejection filter mod. I've got an Icom R-71A loaded with the
Kiwa mods too.
But like they say, the antenna is everything. So much noise of different
types around the MFJ-1026 can't keep up. Sure is a good hobby though
..... always tweaking something.

Old March 6th 11, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/06/2011 11:55 AM, BDK wrote:
In om,
says...

They look way better than they perform.

I beg to differ. That one in particular was fanastic on SSB and RTTY
modes.

She's got a great personality. I hear the audio is muffled. And it's
full of extinct parts.

Old March 7th 11, 06:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

On 03/06/2011 11:55 AM, BDK wrote:
In om,
says...

They look way better than they perform.

I beg to differ. That one in particular was fanastic on SSB and RTTY
modes.

She's got a great personality. I hear the audio is muffled. And it's
full of extinct parts.

You had to have the right speaker on an external amp, and on SSB, it
wasn't bad at all anyway. As a non program listener, I couldn't care
less about the wooly audio. My friend had other receivers if he wanted
to listen to that AM stuff, and so do I. You would be shocked at some of
the parts I got for mine recently, without resorting to cannibalization
of another 515. I just made a few phone calls. Other receivers have long
come and gone, but my 515 and 525 stay around. I bought my 515 in 1984,
and my present 525 in 1989. My R5000, R71a's, Drake R7A and R8A, and
several ham rigs have all gone away. Some, like the R8A annoyed me due
to the el cheapo encoder failing and horrible ergonomics, along with
generally disappointing me, performance wise, others, like the R5000,
just didn't grab me, and the fact it ran insanely hot on AC power, made
it go away. It didn't have the bouncing keypad yet, but I knew it was
coming.

I run my receivers on a decent quality PC UPS, and have surge protectors
on all the antenna lines coming in. The radios get their inputs shorted
when I'm not listening. With those precautions, the main worry I have is
electrolytic caps failing. All the problems my 515 has ever had were
cold solder joint or interconnect caused, and it's been problem free for
about the last 20 years. The 525 has a dimming display, but it can be
"rejuvinated" by simply leaving it on for a while. It doesn't affect
anything anyway.

--
BDK- Top of the government shill heap for over 10 years running!
Old March 7th 11, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/06/2011 10:45 PM, BDK wrote:
In om,
says...

[...]

It's a beautiful radio, very macho. I run my radios on an Astron power
supply, made for 2 way radios.

Wooly. I like that.
Old March 7th 11, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

[...]

Wooly was what the first reviewer called it, if I remember correctly. On
an external amp, on an old speaker I found in my basement when I moved
into this house, it's pretty good. Best audio of any of my present stuff
is:

1. Hammarlund HQ-100 modded to the point of insanity, it sounds great.
2. Kenwood TS-850SAT very nice all around, sounds crappy on the
internal, but on an outboard speaker, it sounds almost as good as the
HQ.
3. Homebrewed SW reciever I bought at a garage sale after the old ham
who built it died. Not enough power output, but it sounds really good on
headphones.
4. Allied SX-190, after the speaker was replaced, it dried up from old
age.
5. NRD-525, Kiwa ultimate rejection mod, 500hz and 1KHZ filters added.
6. NRD-515, Gilfer mods, added filters and the arrestor diodes clipped.
That alone improved the audio a little.
7. A couple of crappy AM only multiband portables. Bad at everything.

--
BDK- Top of the government shill heap for over 10 years running!
Old March 7th 11, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/07/2011 11:12 AM, BDK wrote:
In om,
says...

[...]

I'm too poor to have a big collection (or power up boatanchors). I have
the K3, an R75, the Drake SW2, a Lowe HF-150 (with Keypad and serial
cable), an RF-B45, an Eton E10, a Yachtboy 300, and a Sangean ATS-606P
that I've misplaced somewhere. The Panasonic has the best audio. Oh
yeah, I have a National NC-125 and a Hallicrafters stereo hifi
receiver/shortwave out on the patio. I also only have a very few
scanners. I have left a trail of Trutone, Zenith, Hallicrafters,
Blaupunkt, Grundig, RCA, Realistic, etc. behind me. Not to mention 2
R-390As and a dual channel version of the RA-17.
Old March 8th 11, 04:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 3:00*pm, dave wrote:
[...]

R-390As and a dual channel version of the RA-17.- Hide quoted text -

How much deadweight was in that RA-17 ? I had a single version and
even that was way too much to carry from place to place !